• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Josh Powell should not as much have a job much less recieve 900k in compensation.

https://onlygunsandmoney.com/2019/1...UiUxPfjzplageVNugvVRge7ywVkOLCfKpNATjBlflbVKA

When looking at compensation, you have to look beyond mere salaries and bonuses. Total compensation includes both salaries and bonuses but it also includes things like deferred compensation, group life insurance, contributions to retirement plans, and taxable personal expenses.

I was finally able to get a copy of the 2018 Form 990 for the National Rifle Association. This is the tax report that all not-for-profits must file with the Internal Revenue Service. Both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations are included in this category. The NRA itself is a 501(c)(4) which allows it to engage in political campaign activities while the NRA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) and is not allowed to engage in political campaign activities.

Below is a table of the 12 most highly compensated NRA officials ranging from Wayne LaPierre at the top to Director of Education and Training Eric Frohardt at the bottom. If you click on the icon on the bottom right of the embedded spreadsheet, it will open the full spreadsheet.

Total Base Bonus & Incentive Other Reportable Comp Retirement & Deferred Comp Nontaxable Benefits
    Name and Title

Wayne LaPierre $2,224,427 $1,267,878 $455,000 $427,756 $20,280 $53,513
    CEO &EVP

Chris Cox $1,392,668 $1,057,586 $200,000 $27,732 $35,484 $71,866
    Ex Dir, NRA-ILA

Wilson Phillips $948,769 $573,567 $210,000 $116,970 $20,280 $27,952
    CFO & Treasurer
    (End 9/13/18)

Joshua Powell $919,969 $782,739 $0 $61,398 $16,500 $59,332
    Chief of Staff

Craig Spray $648,215 $401,111 $0 $195,847 $16,500 $34,757
    CFO & Treasurer
    (From 9/13/18)

John Frazer $489,653 $325,953 $54,100 $33,023 $16,500 $60,077
    General Counsel

Joseph Debergalis $461,028 $347,452 $0 $55,774 $16,500 $41,302
    Ex Dir, Gen Ops
    (From 12/3/18)

Tyler Schropp $806,768 $604,803 $122,206 $6,136 $16,500 $57,123
    Man Dir, Advancement

Todd Grable $733,540 $438,703 $217,553 $11,130 $16,500 $49,654
    Ex Dir, Membership

Douglas Hamlin $655,787 $443,585 $80,000 $57,736 $16,500 $57,966
    Ex Dir, Publications

David Leman $602,853 $450,057 $50,000 $71,675 $16,500 $14,621
    Dep Ex Dir, NRA-ILA

Eric Frohardt $545,608 $500,000 $0 $25,745 $15,000 $4,863
    Dir, Educ & Training

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I stopped contributing years ago and it wasn't because of their fiscal practices.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Wolf thanks for gathering these numbers for us. I for one am outraged that the salaries are at such astronomical numbers.
    For an organization that teaches gun safety and shooting skills (and an occasional foray into the political fight)I cannot rationalize how they justify such salaries. It's not like they are running a company that manufactures products across the globe and creates wealth but they are a tax exempt organization that depends on donations from individuals to function.
    I've heard from sources in the NRA that there Is chaos amongst the leaders. Now I know why. That's quite a big tit that the leadership is sucking on.
    I hope they see the golden goose is fading and adjust accordingly.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    WLP should have retired a long time ago, but make no mistake, this is market based compensation and what an organization with the statute and visibility of the NRA will need to pay the next set of executives. Like it or dont, this is a fact. This is what C-level people make. This is roughly what WLP successor will make.

The best value on this list is General Counsel, at $489k, and CFO/Treasurer at $650k. They can make much more in a similar roles elsewhere. To get someone new in the job will cost a lot more. People are certainly not taking a pay cut to work for the NRA, if anything they will demand hazard pay given the current environment. Executives, like most things follow the rule that you get what you pay for. I am sure that the average MDS member might do it for $250k, but they would do a shitty job. So, if you think how shitty these executives are performing, imagine how much more will have to be paid to get better people.

The question is not "how much do they make" - this is what c-level people make. The question is value-add. Are revenues going up? If not, it does not matter if they are working for free.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Too many people on here think they could do WLP's job in jeans and a WWNC t-shirt in return for free range time at HQ. Most people, myself included, don't realize how much highly qualified people are compensated for making big decisions.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Too many people on here think they could do WLP's job in jeans and a WWNC t-shirt in return for free range time at HQ. Most people, myself included, don't realize how much highly qualified people are compensated for making big decisions.

Big decisions like hiring summer interns.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Big decisions like hiring summer interns.

If we excluded C-level talent without big egos or libido, then there would literally be no one left. I've observed women in power with the same, err, proclivities to hire eye candy. The fact is, like it or not, money and power are one of the most powerful aphrodisiacs on the planet, for eons. I am not condoning it, but there simply are no monks at the C-level.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    To be honest i am not sure what is fair salaries , the ones i am seeing seem very high but what do i know . Get what the traffic will bear

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I was curious how this compares so I looked up my own employer. Tech company that actually makes stuff. 3B revenue company.

CEO makes $9m with salary bonus and stock.

CFO $2.6M.

Chief Legal $2.1M

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Thank you Wolfwood for posting this — the truth often hurts, but it will always set you free.

Alan you are a 2A hero; I met you for the first time at the Federal Courthouse when you flew in to attend oral argument at the DC Circuit Court of Appeals hearing on the Federal Bump Stock Case on March 22, 2019:

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/bumpstock-lawsuits-expedited-appeal

The next time was at the National 2A Rally on the West Lawn of the US Capitol on November 2, 2019:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5695002&postcount=215

Keep up the good work!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    WLP should have retired a long time ago, but make no mistake, this is market based compensation and what an organization with the statute and visibility of the NRA will need to pay the next set of executives. Like it or dont, this is a fact. This is what C-level people make. This is roughly what WLP successor will make.

The best value on this list is General Counsel, at $489k, and CFO/Treasurer at $650k. They can make much more in a similar roles elsewhere. To get someone new in the job will cost a lot more. People are certainly not taking a pay cut to work for the NRA, if anything they will demand hazard pay given the current environment. Executives, like most things follow the rule that you get what you pay for. I am sure that the average MDS member might do it for $250k, but they would do a shitty job. So, if you think how shitty these executives are performing, imagine how much more will have to be paid to get better people.

The question is not "how much do they make" - this is what c-level people make. The question is value-add. Are revenues going up? If not, it does not matter if they are working for free.

Wonder what would be a good comparable. Folks that head Bloomberg funded anti-2A groups, although his personal involvement and donations may skew things?

If I remember correctly, leadership at the Red Cross, which brings in at least 10-fold more monies than the NRA, wouldn't crack the top ten at the NRA if one compared compensation. Maybe it's easier to recruit top talent at the Red Cross, but I would think there's a pool of people also committed as sincerely to 2A efforts to draw from. I do agree that NRA General Counsel is likely underpaid given how much litigation that they are typically involved in.

It would also be interesting to track increases in compensation to NRA leadership to dollars that they're bringing over a multiyear period (as well as see the distribution of expenditures over the same time period, and what are the bigger pieces in the overall pie).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wonder what would be a good comparable. Folks that head Bloomberg funded anti-2A groups, although his personal involvement and donations may skew things?

If I remember correctly, leadership at the Red Cross, which brings in at least 10-fold more monies than the NRA, wouldn't crack the top ten at the NRA if one compared compensation. Maybe it's easier to recruit top talent at the Red Cross, but I would think there's a pool of people also committed as sincerely to 2A efforts to draw from. I do agree that NRA General Counsel is likely underpaid given how much litigation that they are typically involved in.

It would also be interesting to track increases in compensation to NRA leadership to dollars that they're bringing over a multiyear period (as well as see the distribution of expenditures over the same time period, and what are the bigger pieces in the overall pie).

According to the interwebs, Red Cross CEO makes $600k and the United Way CEO makes about $1.7 million. Cristián Samper, President/CEO of Wildlife Conservation Society got total compensation of about 1.6 million in 2017,

$646,098 in salary, $625,100 in “other compensation” including housing valued at $156,000 and $91,238 in tuition reimbursements for his children, and $336,080 in deferred compensation.
    https://nypost.com/2019/05/25/nycs-...ations-beg-for-cash-as-execs-pocket-millions/

This is what people make in that rarefied air.

What I would look at is not salary, per se, but administrative expenses as a % of revenue and how much goes to NRA program activities as a % of revenue.

To reiterate, WLP should have retired long ago and we will really need to pay him to go away. But: the next guy will make a lot.

And, there is no "parity" in c-level salaries because much of it relates to how good a negotiator the C-level exec is. There is a lot of signalling: If WLP replacement does not make a lot, maybe hes a bad negotiator. Do we want a bad negotiator in the position?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What I would look at is not salary, per se, but administrative expenses as a % of revenue and how much goes to NRA program activities as a % of revenue.

To reiterate, WLP should have retired long ago and we will really need to pay him to go away.

I agree. Would like to see this analysis, and see if it's changed over the years.

SigZag

Aug 4, 2019
    Rockville
    I was curious how this level of compensation looks in reference to revenue raised % wise. The most recent numbers I could find in a quick search were from GUNS.COM- NRA annual revenue, expenses for 2017
    05/9/18 5:30 AM | by Daniel Terrill
    The National Rifle Association reported a 12 percent decrease in annual revenue in 2017, according to a financial report distributed to members during the organization’s annual meeting in Dallas on Saturday.
    That decrease was due in part to fewer membership dues and contributions, the filing shows. However, the NRA saw a significant increase in activity during 2016’s election, which included a volatile presidential race.
    In 2017, the NRA generated some $378.1 million in total revenue, down from $433.9 million from the year before. According to the financial filing, the NRA’s revenue is comprised of $128.2 million from membership dues, $133 million from contributions, $65.4 million from program fees, $18.8 million from investment income, $25 million from royalties, and $7.7 million from other endeavors.
    The gun lobby reported $379.24 million in total expenses, putting spending down by about 20 percent in the off-year.The bulk, some $207.1 million, went to program services, $76.6 million went to member services and acquisition, $44.2 million to administrative services, and $51.4 million for fundraising.
    The NRA secretary released a statement to members identifying payments in which board members, officers or employees receive payments of more than $2,000 for goods and services to the NRA. In all, nine payments went out and four of them totaled more than $120,000.
    Also in 2017, the NRA spent $5.1 million lobbying Congress, some 60 percent more than in 2016 and the biggest year on record for the organization, according to records collected by Open Secrets.
    Article updated May 8, 2018 at 10:57 am EST

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Paint with a broad brush much? Show me on this doll where WWNC hurt you and then (channeling my inner Eruby) go get your shine box.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

I know people who are authorized to drop nuclear bombs, if required, and they make 50K per year. I don 't believe the link between salaries and big decisions is quit what you think it is.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know people who are authorized to drop nuclear bombs, if required, and they make 50K per year. I don 't believe the link between salaries and big decisions is quit what you think it is.

The people that you think are "authorized" to drop nukes arent really authorized. The President is authorized, everyone else just pushes some buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom