• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    OK...as per the recommendation of others on this forum, I got the Daisy 853 air rifle. I'm hooked.

A couple of questions:

1) Is there a break-in procedure that I should be following? That might be a little late to ask since I shot about 30-40 pellets this morning...

2) I know that there are 10 meter competitions for air rifles so that seems to be the accuracy standard.
    a) How far out is an air rifle accurate? Could I expect that accuracy at 10 meters would translate into corresponding accuracy at 25 yards? 50? 100? Is there anything about pellets that makes the inherently unstable/inaccurate after a certain distance? Obviously the weight of the pellet and speed will factor in but let's just consider my Daisy 853 at what...maybe 500 fps?...with 7 grain pellets. At what distance does the accuracy fall off dramatically?
    b) Are there 25 yard targets for air rifles?
    c) Anybody put a scope on one of these rifles for greater distance accuracy? (My eyes seem to be getting old.)

3) Does anyone shoot steel animal silhouettes (chicken, pig, turkey, ram)? If so, any idea where to get some for my backyard? Any place around Maryland that has any fun "matches" shooting animal silhouettes?

4) I see things like "the 853 is ideal for shooting pesky birds and squirrels...especially in the city". The "in the city" part makes me nervous. If you are shooting an air rifle at a squirrel up in a tree (let's say at a 30 degree angle to the ground), aren't there some ramifications as to where that pellet will end up?

5) Has anyone set up a range in their back yard? Anyone want to share some basics about how you set it up and maybe even a picture or two? I'd be happy to share my email address if someone wants to share.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    1. About 100-200 rounds will break it in.

2. Depends on the pellet, the wind, the gun and how you hold it.

3 + 5. I shoot 6" diameter chunks of 1/8" steel plate welded to some chain that hangs from a framework about 2' off the ground. Set the plate so it has a good backstop (wood pile in my case) and the plate is perpendicular to the rounds impact. The round will shatter when it hits so no ricochet. Spray the plate with paint between the rounds. Pull up an easy chair, tins of pellets and shoot an afternoon away.

4. You have the same liability as any other firearm with regard to the legal ramifications for doing the wrong thing.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    That should be fun. Accuracy, mostly on you, guns are very accurate. I think I saw an 853 shoots around 400fps. I would think 25 yards is about max. I don't think it is enough for a hunting gun, birds, maybe, squirrels, I think not. Squirrels are very tough little critters. I shot them as a kid with a .22 air pistol. Velocity was around 350fps. Wouldn't penetrate their hide. I have no idea what the rules are for Boise. Probably less restrictive than Baltimore. Backyard range, check local laws.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Start reading the air rifle sections here:
    http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coaching-resources/

There are plans for target stands but you will need a backstop Some people hang a rug vertically but check your choice of back stop to be sure you don't get ricochets or the pellets penetrate.

Air rifle ballistics do not support long range shooting. You will find the low velocity and pellet shape will cause them to loose speed rapidly and drop rather dramatically as the distance increases.

The 853 is one of the approved guns for 3-Position so it is limited to less than 600 FPS. I would not consider it a humane hunting weapon.

Yes errant pellets can cause damage and you would have liability for that damage. All ways be sure of your target and what is beyond.

If you put a scope on your rifle make sure the scope is made for air rifles because the recoil of the spring will destroy a scope made for normal firearms.

They do make the animal silhouette targets that are scaled for air rifle and have scaled distances to shoot.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Airgun_Slynger_Metal_Silhouette_Targets/5801

Silhouette Rules
    http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Sil-r/sil-r-book.pdf

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Field Target runs from 9-55yds. There are also 100m air gun competitions. Winners are shooting sub-MOA. In reality, a pellet doesn't look all that different from 22LR match loads which are also all subsonic. An Anschutz precision air rifle is even similar cost to their rimfire version;)

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    My wife shoots out our 2nd story - I have a 'door to nowhere' and she shoots rats eating at the bird feeder,
    always aiming down.
    It is illegal in MoCo. Got a Gamo .177. It has a chitty scope. I'd be very cautious and leery of shooting from level ground.
    And that Gamo Whisperer makes some noise. Of course, I have a small lot. 1 acre, no problem.

The "in the city" part makes me nervous. If you are shooting an air rifle at a squirrel up in a tree (let's say at a 30 degree angle to the ground), aren't there some ramifications as to where that pellet will end up?

DON'T DO IT. You are responsible for your round.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    OK...as per the recommendation of others on this forum, I got the Daisy 853 air rifle. I'm hooked.

A couple of questions:

1) Is there a break-in procedure that I should be following? That might be a little late to ask since I shot about 30-40 pellets this morning...

Just get a Qt of SAE30 motor oil and put it in a small bottle to keep the wiper on pump arm lubed. Just a drop or 2 after each shooting session. Pellgun Oil is SAE30 with red dye, just WAY more expensive.

2) I know that there are 10 meter competitions for air rifles so that seems to be the accuracy standard.
    a) How far out is an air rifle accurate? Could I expect that accuracy at 10 meters would translate into corresponding accuracy at 25 yards? 50? 100? Is there anything about pellets that makes the inherently unstable/inaccurate after a certain distance? Obviously the weight of the pellet and speed will factor in but let's just consider my Daisy 853 at what...maybe 500 fps?...with 7 grain pellets. At what distance does the accuracy fall off dramatically?
    b) Are there 25 yard targets for air rifles?
    c) Anybody put a scope on one of these rifles for greater distance accuracy? (My eyes seem to be getting old.)

I had a 4-16x44 scope on mine. Great for 25m accuracy. Use the heavier pellets at 25m mostly

3) Does anyone shoot steel animal silhouettes (chicken, pig, turkey, ram)? If so, any idea where to get some for my backyard? Any place around Maryland that has any fun "matches" shooting animal silhouettes?

Get one (or 2 or 3)of those swinging targets from Walmart. I think I piad like $6 each for mine on-line then pick up in store (otherwise they are like $9) You don't have to worry about walking down and resetting these all the time.

4) I see things like "the 853 is ideal for shooting pesky birds and squirrels...especially in the city". The "in the city" part makes me nervous. If you are shooting an air rifle at a squirrel up in a tree (let's say at a 30 degree angle to the ground), aren't there some ramifications as to where that pellet will end up?

Wouldn't recommend doing anything "illegal" but when shot up into the air a pellet has no where near the energy coming back down (as compared to a bullet) due to is low ballistic coefficient.

5) Has anyone set up a range in their back yard? Anyone want to share some basics about how you set it up and maybe even a picture or two? I'd be happy to share my email address if someone wants to share.

My "range" consists of several "swinging targets" with a log sitting behind them at different ranges (20-30yds). I also have a "target board" with 3 or 4 logs behind it (25yds). I use the target board to sight my guns in. I then use the spinners to jut take a few shots each day to keep in form for hunting. A 1" spinner is perfect to simulate a squirrels head (my main target).

Once you do some shooting and some research, and decide you want to get a PCP, let me know. I've got a few and you can come over and try the different ones to avoid making a mistake buying something you wind up not liking.

Here's my favorite hunter at the moment. .22 that folds up and fits into my backpack. I get about 20 shots on a charge and have a small bottle to refill if I'm just plinking.

Attachments

• eeeeeee.jpg
      eeeeeee.jpg
      112 KB · Views: 140
    • 20181216_135616.jpg
      20181216_135616.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members