• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I am thinking about getting a Leatherwood ART II ( Automatic Ranging telescope- No math ranging system))scope for my M1A. I usually shoot with a Mil-Dot scope and doing math while shooting detracts from the fun factor. Does the ART system really work? Just trying to get some feedback from another member instead of drinking the marketing cool-aid.

I have read about these scopes and the reviews are mixed. It was suppose to be a really simple scope to operate and was tried/ tested in Vietnam.The newer Chinese made versions are suppose to have the ability to retain zero/ ballistic information for up to 5 different calibers or loads. I would really appreciate any firsthand information about this system.

Attachments

• MP10001794848_P255045_215X215.jpg
      MP10001794848_P255045_215X215.jpg
      6 KB · Views: 423

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It took a while. But finally got one to play around and experiment with.

The leatherwood / hilux m-1200 xlr ( extreme long range reticle ) 6-24x50mm auto range and trajectory camputer system. With illuminated reticle.

I’ll probably take it out to the range this weekend and see if this thing delivers.

Attachments

• D34B0351-8F3F-4472-9A81-9456E07586DA.jpg
      D34B0351-8F3F-4472-9A81-9456E07586DA.jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 338

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Very curious about the scope and how well it works. Please do a review when you get some range time

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The scope operation/ set up and YouTube instructions are a bit confusing.

But in reality. It’s very simple to operate. It’s as simple as running a jbm ballistic app and print out a bulletdrop chart in 100 meter increments. That’s automatically translated into mils.
    From 300-1200 meters. Match those mils with a chart from the instructions manual. It will give you a number. (300-800). Then set that number on the cam ring. Then you’re set from 300-1200 meters in terms of bullet drop. You can use the Mil-Dot reticle for lead or wind.

Just frame, aim and shoot.

A firing solution in seconds with no math involved. ( you’ve already done the math ahead of time and programmed that into the ART cam system)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    If this works as advertised. It should be one of the fastest systems out there.

And it’s not caliber specific unlike the earlier models. You can use it for 17hmr to 50bmg. And everything in between.

Glass quality and light transmission is par with , let’s say a vortex. It’s decent.

The mount solidly locks into weaver or pic rails. The cam system is slaves ( if set times auto range) to the magnification ring. Using the zoom allows you to bracket known sized targets ( 18”, 36”, 1 meter , etc)
    And once you’ve bracketed the target. Your ballistic drop has already been adjusted automatically. Hold dead center and fire.

Example. If you’re using it for combat like in Vietnam. You simply frame 18” ( center mass, average human) into the scale or the open area by the center aiming dot. Once that’s done. Fire.

This shit is fast. It’s 10x faster than using a ballistic app like strelok. And you can auto range , compensate for bulletdrop in seconds. Without the need for weaponized math / trigonometry.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's a BDC system. Admittedly, it's a well-executed, novel, and flexible BDC system, but it's still BDC at heart with most of the same benefits and drawbacks. It is also more complex than current BDC systems due to needing to manage the ranging ring (which is not terribly different than an auto-adjusting ballistic turret, if I understand the function correctly). There are also some FFP BDC reticles out there that will let you do what the ART II does in terms of ranging an 18" target even more quickly using holdovers, the Pride Fowler and USO plumb reticles coming to mind.

Comparing it to dialing-based solutions like Strelok Pro is a little unfair; BDC scopes are not designed to make pinpoint shots, they're designed for man-sized hits. They do this quite well when you've got the right BDC/gun/ammo setup, but they're not what you want for tagging 1-2 MOA targets at 800yds. The dialing crowd also misses this distinction.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yes, it works very well as long as you put he setup time into it.

If you just dial in the power cam to whatever the tables in the manual tell you its a bit mediocre, but if you actually do some range firing to confirm & (adjust) your ballistic number then its excellent.
    This may, or may not be a problem for you. You zero & set up at 200 actual yards, so you'll need access to a 200 yd range, simulating & aiming off don't work during set up, it must be 200 yds.
    The ranging tables in the scope also work provided you have a solid support when measuring.
    You can also easily connect & disconnect the "Camputer function" & go manual if you want then reconnect without loss of aim.
    Optics are fine, never had a problem.
    My ONLY negative comment is on the little fiddly knob that locks/unlocks the cams. Its too fragile & small with cold fingers or gloves good luck using it.

babgCeO.jpg

Be advised if you're buying a used one there are (at least) 2 versions of it, Both are Chinese-made, but from 2 factories, one is variable in quality the other not they're all good. The way to tell them apart is the reticule patterns differ, this is is the good one.

2LzmGSE.jpg

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I ran a ballistic app. As recommended by hilux.
    To figure out MOA drop at 100m increments.

But the m1200 requires a 300m zero. At 100m, it recommends that I set the magnification to 6x and POI should be 3” high. At 50m .7” high to zero at 300m.

I only have access to a 100m range. I zeroed the scope using the offset as indicated by the instructions manual. The cam is set for 430

I’m hoping to shoot at longer distances. Maybe after the holidays. I’m just curious about the effectiveness of the ART system.

If this works. I may put one on a 50bmg.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Mine works fine out to about 600 yds. Its the older 3~9X40 version the 600.
    We do a steel challenge with ranges from 25 yds to 600 I just dial & go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom