• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'm hoping to pour footers for a barn here in the next couple of months. Can anyone provide an estimate? The footers are 24" wide, 8" deep with the exception of the four holes for support posts, which will be 18" round and 32" deep. See attached for layout. I would just need the concrete, no finish work.

Attachments

• Footer.xlsx
      9.3 KB · Views: 142

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    That's around 8 yards of concrete. You want it put down or just have some friends help you out?

I'll volunteer.

Concrete.com/calculators

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    That's around 8 yards of concrete. You want it put down or just have some friends help you out?

I'll volunteer.

Concrete.com/calculators

Thanks! Wouldn't be more than dumping it in the hole(s), and a light push with a trawl to knock the big stuff down. It'll all be underground anyways :)

Know any concrete suppliers? I got a few recommendations from the Mt Airy Facepage, but they might be finishers.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Got rebar? Most footings these days require a nominal amount of rebar (like 2:#4 bars continuous along the footing) and a footing inspection prior to pour...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    is there a foundation 101 somewhere online? i'm considering adding a bay to an existing detached/external garage. it ain't going to be permitted, but i do want to do it right, 100% diy if possible.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Got rebar? Most footings these days require a nominal amount of rebar (like 2:#4 bars continuous along the footing) and a footing inspection prior to pour...

I don't have any yet, but there will be rebar all over the place in this thing :thumbsup:

is there a foundation 101 somewhere online? i'm considering adding a bay to an existing detached/external garage. it ain't going to be permitted, but i do want to do it right, 100% diy if possible.
    Code varies a little by county, but generally, 18" wide, 8" tall, and around 30" deep in the ground. Two runs of rebar running through the entire thing generally is enough. You'd be best to visit your county permitting office and ask them, and pull the permit.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD

Loudoun will want a permit, if this is where you’re planning to add on.

As for depth and size, you’re going to butt right up against the existing foundation and as such should copy it as much as possible. Be sure to pin the new into the old, and compact the new footer trench very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom