• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Being tossed around due to weight of the bullet has nothing to do with it.

It is all based on time of flight.

Heavier bullets tend to have a higher BC, so maintain their velocity, therefore shorter time of flight.

Not true. If you calculate based on TOF, a heavier bullet has less wind drift than a lighter bullet. It is less about ballistic coefficient than it is about projectile mass for drift.

A projectile that has twice the mass has about 1.42x the surface area for wind to act upon than the lighter projectile. Increasing the wind force on it. Yes, time of flight has some impact also, but mass absolutely has a large role to play in wind drift.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    i'll add one more factor into the mix. ammunition manufacturing quality control. mass produced and typically lower cost bulk 22 ammo will have a ton of defects in the bullet. these bullets will not perform aerodynamically the same as bullets with better quality control. hell it could be something as simple as you dropping the round on the concrete prior to loading to deform the bullet. that will affect its accuracy.

take a look at these 2 threads from Rimfire Central and Snipers Hide. It is the same guy on both threads but he puts a ton of info out there for everyone. After contributing myself, I am a firm believer in the quality of the ammo affecting the results. Keep in mind, quality doesn't always equal higher cost but there USUALLY is a strong correlation.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1129343

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/200-yards-with-rimfire.6928541/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom