• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    So, I’m fairly new to the lower Eastern Shore and I’m looking for places to go whitetail deer hunting later this year. While I may look into a private lease/club, right now I’m trying to identify public hunting areas that are within a reasonable drive of the Berlin/Ocean Pines area. I have found a couple of maps on the DNR website which I link to below. Problem is, they aren’t consistent with one another.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Documents/chesapeake/MES_Public_Hunting_2012.pdf

http://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/chesapeakeforestlands_publichuntingmaps.aspx

I see that they have different dates but they are both current links on different sections of the website. Nevertheless, I’m currently looking at the following areas, mostly due to proximity and accessibility:

W46 - Campbell (aka, Wicomico Demonstration Forest)
    WR01- Timmons Donnaway
    WR11 - Shockley

So, can you share your thoughts on any of these areas for suitability. I’m not asking for your super duper, secret hunting spot, just generalities of these or other areas that you think might be worth the time/drive. I would be hunting with a crossbow and rifle/shotgun during the respective seasons.

School me.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"ve been to Campbell many times. Saw deer some, had many days where I did not.
    Each time I went there, I learned a better spot. Scouting is key. You have to scout several spots beacause you never know if there is going to be someone in the parking spot you want to use or not when you go. Oh, and all those deer tracks on the open walking paths? They walk there at 3am in the morning :)

Been down to the one off 12 (is that Pokomoke?) The day I went was pretty warm for muzzleloader and it was swampy from the September rains. Mosquitoes were killing me.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I have hunted on public land 10 minutes from the salisbury airport. It is on Snow Hill Road. The first time I went there I rounded a corner where I was going to sit and a deer ran off. I only was able to hunt there 2 more times and didnt see anything but the land was enormouse and there was never more than 2 other vehicles.

The other area that I never see people at is right behind the airport. I cant think of the name. I havent ever hunted there but it always looked empty, I walked around it in the offseason and they had some good open lanes including 2 roads.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    yup thats it. The wierd part is that when you drive in, you have to drive past a house along with a makeshift campground with a bunch of mini campers. I dont know if they have property right there that isnt owned buy the state or what the deal is. I usually check out areas I am going to that I am not sure about by looking at google maps

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom