• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Yes!!!! Normally you can transport directly to/from the range etc. A DC can transport for private display pretty much antwhere legal.

I guess if I'm transporting any of my collection and I'm stopped by the police for any reason, if the question of my firearms is brought up I can whip out my cell phone, show the kind officer my email from Cpl Cusimano, and that officer will be OK with my weapons collection? (He can still give my a ticket for speeding or whatever, I just want to be comfortable knowing I won't be hasselled by any LEO for having my collection on board without any official documentation as a collector from MSP)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Docster said:
    I guess if I'm transporting any of my collection and I'm stopped by the police for any reason, if the question of my firearms is brought up I can whip out my cell phone, show the kind officer my email from Cpl Cusimano, and that officer will be OK with my weapons collection? (He can still give my a ticket for speeding or whatever, I just want to be comfortable knowing I won't be hasselled by any LEO for having my collection on board without any official documentation as a collector from MSP)

The funny thing is, the law states "bonafide" not "designated" collector.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a copy of my DC letter in my car gun safe, along with FOPA and MD 4-203. Some LEO's are not always up to speed on gun statutes. Having them with you could really help if stopped.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Docster said:

You'll still be hassled. Don't speed and don't think the DC status is a magic vehicle carry loophole and you'll be fine.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The funny thing is, the law states "bonafide" not "designated" collector.

Well, we're in Maryland, land of vague and spurious laws....

bo·na fide

   /ˈboʊnə ˌfaɪd, ˈbɒnə; ˈboʊnə ˈfaɪdi/ Show Spelled[boh-nuh fahyd, bon-uh; boh-nuh fahy-dee] Show IPA
    adjective 1. made, done, presented, etc., in good faith; without deception or fraud: a bona fide statement of intent to sell.

2. authentic; true: a bona fide sample of Lincoln's handwriting.

Also, bona-fide .

Origin:
    1935–45; < Latin bonā fidē

Can be confused:   bona fide, bona fides (see usage note at bona fides).

Synonyms
    1. honest, sincere; lawful, legal. 2. genuine.

Antonyms
    spurious, deceitful, false.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

So, without a MDC document/letter, how do we prove to a LEO that we're a 'bonafide' collector? (Other than an email saying that we may start collecting). Of course, a true constitutionalist would say we don't have to prove we're a collector ( prove innocence), the gov't has to prove we're not (prove guilty), but that's not reality on the road.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Docster said:
    So, without a MDC document/letter, how do we prove to a LEO that we're a 'bonafide' collector? (Other than an email saying that we may start collecting). Of course, a true constitutionalist would say we don't have to prove we're a collector ( prove innocence), the gov't has to prove we're not (prove guilty), but that's not reality on the road.

C&R FFL

Or the nice officer can look at the sh1tload of guns in the trunk.
    :D

The designated collector is by far the cheapest.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC, Esqappellate stated that since the MD statute has narrow exceptions (ie moving your collection, etc.) it is up to you to provide an affirmative defense. There is no burden on the state. Again, having your collector letter in your vehicle seems like a good idea

IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom