• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rogo725

Mar 12, 2017
    Anyone on here a member of the Civilian Marksmanship Program or M1 Collectors Club out of Rockville? Looking to buy a M1 Garand from the Surplus and need some info and advice. Can you PM me. I have some questions.

Orlando

You mean the Garand Collectors Association or the M1 Collectors Club? Yes I am actually a member of both. The M1 Collectors is the cheapest $14 per year, the GCA us $25 and you get a quarterly magazine. Both do the exact same thing as far as fulfilling club membership

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I've been a member of the M1 Collectors Club since 2014 when I purchased my first M1 from the CMP. Can't beat the $14 a year and Charles has some good Facebook pages if you're into Facebook. What questions do you have?

Rogo725

Mar 12, 2017
    legal?

Thanks for the feed back guys. I knew some people on here would know. I guess my question for now is, is it even legal for me to buy an M1 in Maryland? i thought it wasn't allowed. The local gun range says its not legal to purchase, but everything i read online says that if I buy one through CMP group, its totally legal. I'm so confused.

Basically what I am looking for, is a legal way to purchase an M1. If i have to join a club like the M1 Collectors Club, I'm happy too, since i don't know everything about the M1 and haven't owned one before.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Thanks for the feed back guys. I knew some people on here would know. I guess my question for now is, is it even legal for me to buy an M1 in Maryland? i thought it wasn't allowed. The local gun range says its not legal to purchase, but everything i read online says that if I buy one through CMP group, its totally legal. I'm so confused.

Basically what I am looking for, is a legal way to purchase an M1. If i have to join a club like the M1 Collectors Club, I'm happy too, since i don't know everything about the M1 and haven't owned one before.

Ive been a member of the M1cc for a while. And yes it's perfectly legal to buy an M1 Garand in MD as long as you meet all age and legal requirements.
    If you are talking M1 carbine it's still legal in some configurations. M1A-short answer is banned but those aren't available from CMP anyway

Rogo725

Mar 12, 2017
    Good to know

Ive been a member of the M1cc for a while. And yes it's perfectly legal to buy an M1 Garand in MD as long as you meet all age and legal requirements.
    If you are talking M1 carbine it's still legal in some configurations. M1A-short answer is banned but those aren't available from CMP anyway

What prices are we looking at through CMP for an M1?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The only non-sniper rifles they list right now are Specials. Winchester receiver, new Criterion barrel, new wood, other parts a mix of GI and new. $830

M1D snipers run from $935 (rack grade, pretty rough) to $1735 for a Service Grade Winchester. These prices are rifle only, NO SCOPE, NO MOUNT, NO CHEEK PIECE. For a GI scope, you are looking at nearly $2000 for one very good shape, repro about $400. Repro scope mounts (even the ones sold by CMP) have issues, GI and $400 and up. Cheek pieces range from inexpensive repro, to $300 - $500 for a 50s real one. Newer ones, but real GI, are a bit cheaper, but not a huge amount.

Orlando

Yes they have Field Grade Specials but not Winchester:
    CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06)*M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
    Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.

$830 shipped

Rogo725

Mar 12, 2017
    Yes they have Field Grade Specials but not Winchester:
    CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06)*M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
    Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.

$830 shipped

Considerable pitting...is it still safe to shoot? whats the fix for this? i don't want a useless rifle. Ugh. This doesn't sound good.

Rogo725

Mar 12, 2017
    Anyone have a photo of a

RM1SPECIALFIELD

CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.

I'm curious what the condition actually looks like.

leBjA

Mar 2, 2013
    CMP M1 Purchase Pre-Planning

So the CMP is drained...pretty much.

I'm preplanning to purchase one. Filling out the form.

Can I send the CMP form with CC/Bank check and just wait for them to fulfill the stock and send me one? I think I read that on the CMP site somewhere.

Realistically Im open to spend around $1,000 but not much more for a nicer shootable CMP Garand that has some history, but willing to do some minor finishing work on it ex. stock oil sanding etc.

Should I aim for the:
    Garand Special Prices Start @ $1,030
    or
    Garand Special Field Grade @ $830

on the http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/ site Item #'s are listed but not prices? How do I fill out the order form if i know what item I want but not the price?

Worth it to just call CMP?
    Are they inundated with questions like this all the time?
    Will they take the time to answer such questions or provide me w/ prices so I can fill out the form and allocate the funds and just wait for it to be in stock & show up?

AJ
    USCG Reserve
    Current firearms Glock 19 & Ruger 10/22

Orlando

Can I send the CMP form with CC/Bank check and just wait for them to fulfill the stock and send me one? I think I read that on the CMP site somewhere.

Should I aim for the:
    or

on the http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/ site Item #'s are listed but not prices? How do I fill out the order form if i know what item I want but not the price?

Will they take the time to answer such questions or provide me w/ prices so I can fill out the form and allocate the funds and just wait for it to be in stock & show up?

AJ
    USCG Reserve

They do not take backorders, if you send a order for something they do no list as in stock your order will be discarded
    The rifles with prices are all they have in stock as of now. It is possible inventory will change in the future

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You can join any club that is CMP affiliated. Most clubs at the AGC are CMP affiliated. You can join Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association ($30.00 - www.msrpa.org) and it will qualify you to buy from CMP.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Considerable pitting...is it still safe to shoot? whats the fix for this? i don't want a useless rifle. Ugh. This doesn't sound good.

All CMP rifles are test fired and safe to shoot. I ordered a special field grade a few months ago and was happy with the condition. I don't have any pictures with me.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD

Realistically Im open to spend around $1,000 but not much more for a nicer shootable CMP Garand that has some history, but willing to do some minor finishing work on it ex. stock oil sanding etc.

Should I aim for the:
    or

AJ
    USCG Reserve

I have possessed over 130 M1 Garands and I would not purchase a CMP Special of any grade...they will not appreciate and they come with aftermarket barrels and stocks that have zero collectible value.

That said, and due to an eventual life ending medical condition, I am trimming my M1 Garand collection, but the prices of current inventory starts near $1,300 and will end over $3,000 for a few that are very collectible.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good Guy 176
    US Army (Ret-1984)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    All CMP rifles are test fired and safe to shoot. I ordered a special field grade a few months ago and was happy with the condition. I don't have any pictures with me.

They say that. But when you read the paperwork that comes with them, they tell you to have them checked by a gunsmith.

And there are a lot of stories over on CMP Forums about rifles that were delivered that there was NO WAY they were test fired before shipping. Blocked bore, broken op rod springs, incorrect headspace, etc.

Orlando

collector and correct grades are not cleaned or test fired as many are still in original storage grease.
    Garands will still fire with broken op rod springs, CMP does not fire a full enbloc through them
    . Rifles are test fired and checked for headspace, yes mistakes are made and some will slip through the cracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom