• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I just ordered another 6721 from SOS. I will be curious to see how the lower is marked since they are apparently using "M4 Carbine" marked lowers instead of "AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine"

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Clandestine and I disagree about Colt. If Colt was the be all and end all of the AR15 world, everyone on the line at the national championships would be using Colt. You will rarely ever see one there and when you do, it has a lot of specialized parts to make it perform to the high level expected at the nationals. Colt lost the government contracts to FN for a reason.

I don't think he is saying that factory Colt is the best AR possible, he is saying it is the most reliable out of the box. If you pull a factory Colt from the box it is highly likely to be completely up to spec. With other brands there may be headspace issues, improperly staked gas keys, etc.

You can certainly build a better AR than a Colt if you have the tools and knowledge. Most people do not.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't think he is saying that factory Colt is the best AR possible, he is saying it is the most reliable out of the box. If you pull a factory Colt from the box it is highly likely to be completely up to spec. With other brands there may be headspace issues, improperly staked gas keys, etc.

You can certainly build a better AR than a Colt if you have the tools and knowledge. Most people do not.

That is exactly what I mean. Dist1646 likes to disagree with pretty much everything I say in regards to AR's.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    just out of curiosity john, what do the sales ratios look like with regard to colts vs say your deltons or Wyndham weaponry ar's?

It I had to roughly break it down it would look like something like this.

Colts = 50%

Windhams = 30%

Other variants = 20%

However the new Ruger AR556 is moving fast right now.

j.smooth4

Feb 24, 2017
    Laurel, MD
    I just ordered another 6721 from SOS. I will be curious to see how the lower is marked since they are apparently using "M4 Carbine" marked lowers instead of "AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine"

Just ordered a colt 6721 from sos too, I was about to get a ruger for 560 but I figured the colt would be better long term and I'd spend the money elsewhere whats 240 in a few years:rolleyes:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Picked up tonight from JLowes. Very happy being a Colt owner. Pics below. Check this out; unusual lower receiver markings for a 6721. Says "M4 CARBINE" but it is an HBAR AR6721.

^ I just picked up two 6721s from SOS and one of them is exactly like the rifle you got. It has an "LE" prefix serial number instead of the "LBD" prefix typical of the 6721, and it is marked "M4 Carbine" instead of "AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine". But it def has the heavy barrel and the box with the rifle's serial number says it is a 6721. Colt is using up 6920 lowers.

Attachments

• IMG_8339.jpg
      IMG_8339.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 2,150

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Here's one of mine, a 6721 made in 2000 with the restricted roll mark. Serial num in the 11k range instead of the +40k range like are available now. Got it from Lou45 may he RIP

Attachments

• IMG_8354.jpg
      IMG_8354.jpg
      76.1 KB · Views: 2,215
    • IMG_8353.jpg
      IMG_8353.jpg
      81.1 KB · Views: 2,299

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    What I read is that Colt 6721 HBAR models were first manufactured in the summer of 1994 because the Assault Weapons Ban of 1995-2005 was looming.

They were marked with the "Military/Law Enforcement Use Only".

Sometime beginning a few years ago Colt dropped the "Military/Law Enforcement Use Only" engraving, with everything else about the 6721 model--HBAR, 1/9 twist, and AR-15A3 Cal. .223" marking remaining the same, along with the LBD prefix on the serial number. (Of course, this model shoots 5.56, too)

The LE model 6920s, as seen above, are marked "M-4 Carbine Cal. 5.56MM" and they shoot .223 as well, and their serial number prefix starts with LE. The latest 6920s are number up in the the 570,000 range.

Again the easy way to determine the manufacture date an original unmodified Colt is to take off the hand guards and look for the tiny "month/year" code on the barrel...appearing as "3/14" for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom