• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    So I'm getting back into airsoft for some outback plinking, I want to know if a longer barreled pistol and rifle increases velocity in airsoft guns as they do with real guns?

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    So I'm getting back into airsoft for some outback plinking, I want to know if a longer barreled pistol and rifle increases velocity in airsoft guns as they do with real guns?

Depends. Usually yes, but too long and you'll screw up the cylinder volume to barrel volume ratio and it'll start to affect accuracy and FPS.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Depends. Usually yes, but too long and you'll screw up the cylinder volume to barrel volume ratio and it'll start to affect accuracy and FPS.

Okay because I was looking at some gas pistols and there's short barreled one's and then longer 1911 type. I guess I'll go with a gas rifle instead of a pistol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Accuracy is more important than velocity.

I have a cheap one, that exactly matches the configuration of my Combat Commander. It is minute of soda can accurate to far enough distance for meaningful training.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I thought when it came to airsoft velocity is accuracy? Do airsoft barrels have rifling or something?

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Airsoft rifles actually have a "hop up" control. Its a plastic ball intruded into the top of the barrel right in front of the breach that causes a backspin on the bb. This results in a s-shaped trajectory by essentially throwing a sideways curve ball. Makes accuracy based shooting more predictable, but Lso less like typical ballistic trajectories. You can train fr this, and curve bbs around barricades etc, but it would only make you better at airsoft, not at shooting.

This said, airsoft is great fun, and cAn be used for situational and squad tactics training.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    I thought when it came to airsoft velocity is accuracy? Do airsoft barrels have rifling or something?

There are some airsoft barrels that are rifled, however they're very rare nowadays and are not commonplace.

Barrel length does not determine accuracy with airsoft. It certainly helps, but the quality of the hop up unit and hop up rubber is WAY more important than barrel length. I had a gas pistol that had a 5 or 6 inch barrel, and i could accurately shoot 150+ feet because of how good the hop up was. To put in comparison most pistols top out at about 80 feet give or take.

What is your goal? Is this for pistol training? Rifle training? S&G's? Usually with pistols, it's more of concern about gas efficiency and freezing than accuracy due to them best being used at CQB ranges.

I've been out of the scene for a couple years, but a couple years ago gas rifles (non-tank versions) weren't the most reliable. Polarstars we're all the rage a couple years ago, and they operate off of HPA much like a paintball gun. They're pretty cool, but cost a couple hundred more than your standard battery powered rifle, and require a tank and hose.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Btw, if you are in HoCo, that airsoft is just as illegal to plink as your regular firearms.

Recently i discovered wax bullets used in cowboy fast draw. The wax is propelled by primers only, without any powder. Like airsoft they wont penetrate skin if accidentally discharged. I now start new shooters including my 8 yr old using wax. Was out at my uncles farm a few weeks ago and the kids preferred wax to bullets because of the light recoil and softer report.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    Airsoft rifles actually have a "hop up" control. Its a plastic ball intruded into the top of the barrel right in front of the breach that causes a backspin on the bb. This results in a s-shaped trajectory by essentially throwing a sideways curve ball. Makes accuracy based shooting more predictable, but Lso less like typical ballistic trajectories. You can train fr this, and curve bbs around barricades etc, but it would only make you better at airsoft, not at shooting.

This said, airsoft is great fun, and cAn be used for situational and squad tactics training.

This is close- cheaper guns may use this, but it's usually a rubber or plastic nub that presses down on a rubber sleeve that has a small hump on the interior of the sleeve. That hump contacts the bb, which puts a backspin on the bb, allowing it to fly straight for a considerable distance using the "magnus effect". Overhopping the bb allows you to shoot over and around barriers, but puts an upward trajectory on the bb verses a fairly level trajectory.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    There are some airsoft barrels that are rifled, however they're very rare nowadays and are not commonplace.

Barrel length does not determine accuracy with airsoft. It certainly helps, but the quality of the hop up unit and hop up rubber is WAY more important than barrel length. I had a gas pistol that had a 5 or 6 inch barrel, and i could accurately shoot 150+ feet because of how good the hop up was. To put in comparison most pistols top out at about 80 feet give or take.

What is your goal? Is this for pistol training? Rifle training? S&G's? Usually with pistols, it's more of concern about gas efficiency and freezing than accuracy due to them best being used at CQB ranges.

I've been out of the scene for a couple years, but a couple years ago gas rifles (non-tank versions) weren't the most reliable. Polarstars we're all the rage a couple years ago, and they operate off of HPA much like a paintball gun. They're pretty cool, but cost a couple hundred more than your standard battery powered rifle, and require a tank and hose.

Just fun knocking around some soda cans and etc. Not really training with them since I can't see how it would prepare me for use with my real firearms.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Btw, if you are in HoCo, that airsoft is just as illegal to plink as your regular firearms.

Recently i discovered wax bullets used in cowboy fast draw. The wax is propelled by primers only, without any powder. Like airsoft they wont penetrate skin if accidentally discharged. I now start new shooters including my 8 yr old using wax. Was out at my uncles farm a few weeks ago and the kids preferred wax to bullets because of the light recoil and softer report.

Nope not in Howard county, they are fine out here, plus im shooting into a hill in my backyard. :)

I am going to shoot pellets and copper bbs though, not really into the plastic bbs, or wax.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    This is close- cheaper guns may use this, but it's usually a rubber or plastic nub that presses down on a rubber sleeve that has a small hump on the interior of the sleeve. That hump contacts the bb, which puts a backspin on the bb, allowing it to fly straight for a considerable distance using the "magnus effect". Overhopping the bb allows you to shoot over and around barriers, but puts an upward trajectory on the bb verses a fairly level trajectory.

You are referring to the plastic bbs With all the curved shot talk?

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Copper bbs and pellets sound more like air rifles than airsoft. Airsoft has maximum muzzle velocities between 400-500 fps. Bb guns are in the 1000-1400fps range similar to .22s, and are great for tarets and small game.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Copper bbs and pellets sound more like air rifles than airsoft. Airsoft has maximum muzzle velocities between 400-500 fps. Bb guns are in the 1000-1400fps range similar to .22s, and are great for tarets and small game.

I thought it was all the same thing. My bad, yes I'm getting back Into air guns and air rifles then. I want to be able to shatter glass bottles and stuff and plastic bbs isn't going to do that. :D

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Back in the he day I had a pump air rifle that shot bbs and pellets and that thing was FUN. I used to be able to hit targets that were at least 15 yards away easy. I'd pump that bad boy up about 20 times when it was only recommended for like 10 I think and those bbs would be screaming down range. I think im in my second child hood.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are you refering to Airsoft, with the plastic balls, or air rifle / air pistol with pellets and copper plated BB's ? Both have their place, and are cool in their own context, but they are substantially different.

Never mind- answered while I was typing.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    I thought it was all the same thing. My bad, yes I'm getting back Into air guns and air rifles then. I want to be able to shatter glass bottles and stuff and plastic bbs isn't going to do that. :D

I'd advise against shooting glass unless its somewhere you won't have to clean up.

If you're getting into pellet guns then that a completely different world that I don't know much about.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I'd advise against shooting glass unless its somewhere you won't have to clean up.

If you're getting into pellet guns then that a completely different world that I don't know much about.

I wil have it sitting on top of a wood structure I made to protectI against ricochet. It's a small portable unit I bolted together so I can just dump it in the trash every time im done destroying the bottles.

The actual airsoft stuff ive seen on YouTube where they have the little events like a paintball competition seem fun but I've never heard of any places like that in MD.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Airsoft advantages - You can shoot them safely in more places, with even less back stop required than pellets/ BB. Many of the ( less than dirt cheap) Airsoft very closely resemble the real thing in size, weight balance, etc. This makes them useful for fairly serious skill building. No not long range or recoil, but execellent for sight alignment and trigger control, drawing from the leather to make first shot hit on soda can at 7-10yds. With rifles can practice different positions, transitions, various sling configurations. Full auto is available to get your mag dumo jollies, and impress your friends and neighbors.

Air Guns - Vary widely in accuracy depending on price and quality. Cheap POS will be no better than airsoft. Really good ones are scary accurate, such as would be used at Camp Perry or the Olympics, but are $$$.

Fewer airguns will mimic real guns. Still great for pure marksmanship skills of sights, trigger control, and stance. Not so much for drawing and presentations. ( Unless your prefered real gun is a PPK/s.)

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    There is an airsoft arena in Glen Burnie as well as in Rockville and a few outdoor places around as well. I have been looking into airsoft as well just too chicken to go there by myself.

I wil have it sitting on top of a wood structure I made to protectI against ricochet. It's a small portable unit I bolted together so I can just dump it in the trash every time im done destroying the bottles.

The actual airsoft stuff ive seen on YouTube where they have the little events like a paintball competition seem fun but I've never heard of any places like that in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom