• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I own a variety of ARs....I build these from parts as well. Whenever anyone asks which AR to get? I will stand by ATTOM and suggest a COLT LE 6920.

Not because of the Colt name.. but for quality, performance and accuracy. I shoot my 6920 alot. My other ARs do not perform as well. These things are not made equal. Colt factory guns run out of the box.

They may cost a bit extra, but you will know that it will function well when you need it. Buy once, cry once ( BTW,the 6920s are capable of match grade accuracy , out of the box)

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I own a variety of ARs....I build these from parts as well. Whenever anyone asks which AR to get? I will stand by ATTOM and suggest a COLT LE 6920.

Not because of the Colt name.. but for quality, performance and accuracy. I shoot my 6920 alot. My other ARs do not perform as well. These things are not made equal. Colt factory guns run out of the box.

They may cost a bit extra, but you will know that it will function well when you need it. Buy once, cry once ( BTW,the 6920s are capable of match grade accuracy , out of the box)

Wonder where i aquired my ar-15 buying advice from? SCAR CQB made me a colt fanboy.....

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Like ****. I could care less what soemones 24" match barrel can do. We are talking carbines...you know like 16".
    As accuracy increases, reliablilty usually takes an inverse dive. Its well known that RRA is very accurate at the expense of reliabilty.
    But i forgot the us military is knocking each other over to trade in their colts for an RRA:rolleyes:

Or if RRA is so awesome, why didnt they submit a rifle to the Army's carbine competition going on right now?
    I'll tell you why...there just one of the many johnny come lately's copying what colt has made since the beginning.

Funny, the OP does not say carbine or M4 it says:

"Help w/ AR-15 Purchase
    I'm looking to purchase my first AR in the next month, but I'm very green when it comes to this system. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for in an AR? My budget is around $1,000. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rifle in this price range? The rifle will be for range use only. I do not plan on entering any competitions with it. Thanks "

That implies a full 20" barreled rifle, not a tacticool short barreled toy.

I notice you don't complain about WOA, WOP, CLE or Gene Clark's reliability but then you really can't because they have no reliablity issues.

RRA rifles, when fed M193 or M855, are as reliable as Colts, it's when you feed them crap ammo the suffer. What the military buys and what's appropriate for the OP's purposes are two different things, something you obviously do not get.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Wonder where i aquired my ar-15 buying advice from? SCAR CQB made me a colt fanboy.....

I didnt do that.. I just showed you what the 6920 was capable of. You made up your mind after shooting the darn thing and comparing it to other top tier ARs.

When a factory gun is capable of hitting .68 cal paintball pellets at 100 yards consistently. Function with steel, brass, nickel, plastic cased ammo. Runs Dirty after 1000 rounds of wolf ammo - suppressed without cleaning.

Then I would recommend it. I have ARs that cost 3x more than a 6920 that does not perform as well as the Colt... I have a Colt Match HBAR carbine that is crap. Stay with the 6920.. you can thank us later.:D

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I actually just got mine today from UPS. So I don't know how reliable it is first hand but from research and word of mouth the PSA upper seems to be the best for the money. It has a Chrome lined barrel. U have the choice as to wheather or not u want hammer forged. PSA gives u options u don't have to get their bolt carrier group among other options. Go on their website and take a look an yes if u get a complete upper and a complete lower u can snap them together and fire away. U might need to buy sights separately depending on which options u go with.

I think I might go with this option. Spent a lot of time researching last night and PSA uppers seem to get pretty good reviews. It looks as though I will have to buy a set of rear sights separately which is not the biggest deal. Thanks for everyone's input.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    Funny, the OP does not say carbine or M4 it says:

"Help w/ AR-15 Purchase
    I'm looking to purchase my first AR in the next month, but I'm very green when it comes to this system. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for in an AR? My budget is around $1,000. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rifle in this price range? The rifle will be for range use only. I do not plan on entering any competitions with it. Thanks "

That implies a full 20" barreled rifle, not a tacticool short barreled toy.

I notice you don't complain about WOA, WOP, CLE or Gene Clark's reliability but then you really can't because they have no reliablity issues.

RRA rifles, when fed M193 or M855, are as reliable as Colts, it's when you feed them crap ammo the suffer. What the military buys and what's appropriate for the OP's purposes are two different things, something you obviously do not get.

You can repeat that line about RRA being as reliable as colt until the second coming and I still wont believe it. Observations of my friends rra's and other people I talk to don't support your claim.

To they other point...90% of ar's sold are 16" carbines not 20 inch rifle. There are 10 carbines in any gunstore for every one 20" gun. Tell the soldiers their 14.5 inch m4's are:rolleyes: tacticool toys

Most folks will never shoot their 16 inch rifle to its maximum range let alone a more unwieldy 20 inch.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    And ps...I can feed my pos colt Tula, wolf etc...and it never has a problem. I won't own a rifle that s picky about ammo. A quality ar should eat steel no problem.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I have a 6920 and love it. Scar and a few others talked about them being ready "out of the box" and they are! All I added was a front grip, and I intend on putting a nice optic on it when funds allow. For now the irons are great.

As I look for my next AR I have found great deals on other stuff, but will save my pennies for another 6920.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Just curious. What's so bad about your Colt HBAR?

The sporter HBAR crapped out in a carbine class Twice..FTF/FTE and short strokes on WWB. It is finicky on ammo and the compensator pisses everyone beside you on the firing line. The sporter Hbars have very tight tolerances. they are accurate, but may have reduced reliability because of this ( same with RRA)

It is an accurate rifle for target use, it likes brass.. quality brass cased ammo. Anything other than that... it gets as reliable a the plumber on superbowl weekend.

In contrast, the 6920 and 6940 works all the time.

Another member ( infidel) had similar issues with his Colt Hbar sporter. An instructor had to loan him his carbine because his Hbar sporter kept on choking with federal M855 ammo. My 6920.. out of the box went through 800 rounds of lacquer coated wolf ammo that day without a single malfunction. Other high tiered ARs also malfunctioned at some point. The only mod on the Colt is a crane extractor o-ring.

Dfence52

Apr 2, 2012
    I think I might go with this option. Spent a lot of time researching last night and PSA uppers seem to get pretty good reviews. It looks as though I will have to buy a set of rear sights separately which is not the biggest deal. Thanks for everyone's input.
    I know that Gun Connection had complete CMMG lowers for a little less than $300. U can buy them from out of state or the internet but then u would have to pay ffl transfer fees. Im not sure about taxes tho. Call them because its pretty far from montgomery co. Good Luck

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I am new here. I have a stupid question. Is there any restriction on purchase this kind of rifle?

Any AR tranfers as a regulated firearm ( unless its an HBAR). You will have to go through a Lic Firearms dealer and go through the standard backround check/ waiting period.

AR10s and HBARs ( heavy barrel) can transfer FTF ( face to face) with proper ID and bill of sale.

Receivers are considered firearms and will have to go through an FFL. any other parts, such as uppers, barrels accessories can be purchased directly. Md limits mag capacity to 20 rounds. High caps will have to be purchased out of state.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    The sporter HBAR crapped out in a carbine class Twice..FTF/FTE and short strokes on WWB. It is finicky on ammo and the compensator pisses everyone beside you on the firing line. The sporter Hbars have very tight tolerances. they are accurate, but may have reduced reliability because of this ( same with RRA)

It is an accurate rifle for target use, it likes brass.. quality brass cased ammo. Anything other than that... it gets as reliable a the plumber on superbowl weekend.

In contrast, the 6920 and 6940 works all the time.

Another member ( infidel) had similar issues with his Colt Hbar sporter. An instructor had to loan him his carbine because his Hbar sporter kept on choking with federal M855 ammo. My 6920.. out of the box went through 800 rounds of lacquer coated wolf ammo that day without a single malfunction. Other high tiered ARs also malfunctioned at some point. The only mod on the Colt is a crane extractor o-ring.

Good to know. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the Colt AR6721?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Good to know. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the Colt AR6721?

the 6721 should perform as well as the 6920.. The only difference is that is does not have the m4 profile barrel ( Which I really like) and it has the older CAR handguards instead of the Oval ( M4) type. Both have 1:7 twist rates.
    GTG for most ammo, including the heavier loads.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    the 6721 should perform as well as the 6920.. The only difference is that is does not have the m4 profile barrel ( Which I really like) and it has the older CAR handguards instead of the Oval ( M4) type. Both have 1:7 twist rates.
    GTG for most ammo, including the heavier loads.

Colt's website says the AR6721 has a 1:9 twist rate which is the only thing I don't like.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtCarbinesII.aspx

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle over the twist rate. The 1:7 mil spec ratio was chosen because it stabilizes the M856 round; the quality of the barrel and rifling is more important. 1:9 may actually be a better ratio for 62gr M855.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom