• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    Hello. I have a SKS that has been sitting in the back of my safe. I need some help with background and the value.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
      IMG_0192.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 808
    • IMG_0191.jpg
      IMG_0191.jpg
      13.5 KB · Views: 799
    • IMG_0190.jpg
      IMG_0190.jpg
      14 KB · Views: 792
    • IMG_0189.jpg
      IMG_0189.jpg
      12.5 KB · Views: 795
    • IMG_0188.jpg
      IMG_0188.jpg
      14.2 KB · Views: 806
    • IMG_0187.jpg
      IMG_0187.jpg
      14.6 KB · Views: 808
    • IMG_0186.jpg
      IMG_0186.jpg
      18.1 KB · Views: 812
    • IMG_0184.jpg
      IMG_0184.jpg
      13.6 KB · Views: 817
    • IMG_0183.jpg
      IMG_0183.jpg
      19.2 KB · Views: 801
    • IMG_0181.JPEG
      IMG_0181.JPEG
      58.6 KB · Views: 833

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Looks to me like a Factory 26 ( the main SKS builder) commercial import. They tend to be nice shooters. You can look up the year of manufacture on charts over on SKS boards. It's been a while but if I recall correctly the Factory 26 gun serials went up by a million every year after they started which I think was around 1956. I would put the value between 400 to $500 realistically.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Seems to say factory 636 to me. Hard to tell from the photo. Looks to be a standard Norinco. Very nice example. Not sure why the bayonet lug is gone though. Typically they were imported without a bayonet but the lug was still there.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Nice clean looking Chinese SKS, sadly it was Neutered by having the bayo lug cut off so it was prob imported at a time when it had to be cut off for importation. Normally it would sell for around 400-425 assuming its all matching and had the lug but some folks like myself wouldnt want it cause it was cut and cant ever put a bayo back on.

Last edited:

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    Thanks guys, The factory stamp is 626. Not much serial number information from that plant because CHINA. Guess I’ll snake it into the back of the safe for now.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Seems to say factory 636 to me. Hard to tell from the photo. Looks to be a standard Norinco. Very nice example. Not sure why the bayonet lug is gone though. Typically they were imported without a bayonet but the lug was still there.

When the import ban first came down, simply removing the bayonet was enough. After a while, the lug had to be ground off.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    not to get off course. but how rare are the Russian made sks? I picked 1 up a while back made in 53 that's in excellent condition. it's a Century arms import.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    not to get off course. but how rare are the Russian made sks? I picked 1 up a while back made in 53 that's in excellent condition. it's a Century arms import.

Russian SKS are far from rare but depending on the factory yours was made in it might command a little higher value. Show us a pick of the top cover's symbol and we can tell you

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    If that has been locked up in the safe for all this time, it deserves a little exercise before it goes back.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I just pulled an SKS out from being buried in my garage. Luckily it's still in good shape after clean up and I have the bayo parts with the top cover stored in a box with other common bayo parts. I have no idea who made it but remember it was fun to shoot for awhile.
    I think it was like 60 some dollars when I bought it back in the early 90's.

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    Some of these rifles had barrels secured to the receiver with a pin instead of being threaded into the receiver. A pined setup would not demand the same money as a mil spec rifle IMHO.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Russian SKS are far from rare but depending on the factory yours was made in it might command a little higher value. Show us a pick of the top cover's symbol and we can tell you

here is the picture of the top cover. the guy also had a Romanian that was in cosmoline.

Attachments

• 20200510_105502.jpg
      20200510_105502.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 350

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    here is the picture of the top cover. the guy also had a Romanian that was in cosmoline.

Love the laminated Russian SKS's. Beautiful. Miss mine. Used to collect SKS's and now I am down to one remaining Russian.

Like most Russians I have seen that one has been arsenal refurbished, as can be seen by the laminated stock and square w/ diagonal line stamp. Still nice though. All matching in excellent shape, I'd guess value around 450-550.

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks guys, The factory stamp is 626. Not much serial number information from that plant because CHINA. Guess I’ll snake it into the back of the safe for now.

At least on yours it looks like the numbers all match. That’s always a good thing

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Did some digging OP... yours is definitely a Factory 636 rifle...not a factory 26 rifle. if you can give me a rough SN# (you can blank out the last 4-5 digits) and Ican check the references to see the year yours was made. Definitely looks like it was neutered of its bayonet during the import issues in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom