• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Specifically their upper? None. I do have a Anderson receiver with a classic firearms 10.5" M4 profile barrel on my AR pistol and it shoots pretty nice. With a 4MOA red dot I am getting 2.5" groups at 50yds off bags and with BUIS I can get that down to about 2". If I swapped to a finer front post and something like some 64gr gold dots or 69gr SMK I might be able to shrink that Some more.
    Thanks. I was just wondering if anyone else caught the 10.5" PSA upper on sale like I did and had any problems or praise. May take it to Fred's today and see how it performs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ugh. I just bought a couple of AR barrels. I'd love to be able to report on how well they work in a rifle, but I doubt I'll build anything with them for a long time. At least 6 months, probably longer. Classic firearms has had a 20% off their AR barrels for a month or two now (longer?). Their prices are just friggen reasonable (IE cheap) and the feedback is generally very excellent. I've got one of their 10.5" M4 profile barrels on my AR pistol and it seems to shoot well (with a red dot and BUIS anyway).

Picked up an 18" 6.5 Grendel HBAR fluted and nitrided barrel for a deer hunting build I want to try to do for next year's deer hunting season (so built by this time next year to have 3-4 months to work of kinks and figure out what it likes).

I also picked up a 20" .223 wylde HBAR, spiral fluted, SS and nitrided. This is just for a fun. That barrel is likely to live in a safe a couple of years (maybe longer for all I know). I've got a 20" build right now. However, this barrel seems a little nicer (it is also SS, but not nitrided) and some day I'll wear out the current 20" barrel. Especially because it is my main AR-15 bench gun and plinker.

The ugh is because I know my wife is going to be annoyed. Fortunately she is out of town most of next week when the fun brown package is likely to show up. How convenient. Also ugh because I am seriously going to want to build something out of those barrels sooner rather than later. Oh, damage was less than $230 shipped for both. Of course they could be duds, but a number of reviewers are claiming to get moa to slightly sub moa out of their barrels.

gorckat

Sep 4, 2013
    Dundalk
    How does one go about hooking up for some build/tuning help?

I built my budget AR about a year ago and had some fits early on due to a slightly mis-aligned gas block and a reversed trigger spring, which I sorted out.

I haven't gotten to the range as frequently as I thought I would over the past year, and so I popped over yesterday and started having some feeding issues. It was doing alright in the late winter.

I think at this point I need a more experienced eye looking over my shoulder to help ID the current issue(s) to get it cycling right again, as well as see if the irons on it can be zeroed better than I did...

Anyone have a Saturday or Sunday sometime next month to teach me something?

Attachments

• 20170827_103040.jpg
      20170827_103040.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 434

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I built my budget AR about a year ago and had some fits early on due to a slightly mis-aligned gas block and a reversed trigger spring, which I sorted out.

I haven't gotten to the range as frequently as I thought I would over the past year, and so I popped over yesterday and started having some feeding issues. It was doing alright in the late winter.

I think at this point I need a more experienced eye looking over my shoulder to help ID the current issue(s) to get it cycling right again, as well as see if the irons on it can be zeroed better than I did...

Look up SOTAR in the IP section here. This is what you need.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    I'm researching the parts for my first build and I want to hold true to the buy once cry once mantra. Not really on a budget per se but I'm not trying to break the bank on super high end stuff because I'm only an occasional shooter.

The purpose of the rifle is going to be range use and maybe local 3 gun competitions (using that term loosely as I don't see my self as competitive compared to regular shooters). I was dead set on the ALG ACT trigger as I felt like I don't need a super trigger for my usage but wanted an upgrade from mil spec. Then I came across a Brownell's sale on the Geissele Rapid Fire Trigger. My understanding is that this is a Brownell's exclusive from Geissele that mimics the S3G save for the laser engravings and batch testing vs individual testing.

Now the question is this, if I were to go with the B-GRF am I buying a Ferrari and only driving it in first gear with my usage? Will the ACT serve the purpose I'm looking for?

Thank you!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm not familiar(haven't shot one) ALG trigger so I can only speak of the Geissele RF. It is an OK trigger. I have one on my 5.56 SBR. It's crisp, just a tad of creep and has a relatively short reset. Trigger pull will be lighter than that of an ALG ACT by a lb or two(depending on which spring you use).

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa

"cycling right" Well looking at your picture, STOP using under power Wolf ammo.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Lots of great info in this thread, thanks for posting this.

I found a great deal on an 18" .223 Wylde stainless barrel, 1:7 twist and (obviously HBAR). Wilson combat BCG, skeletonized upper/lower, and the Geissle trigger was on sale too. I think I am all-in at this point, there is nothing to do but wait for the parts and build it.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Lots of great info in this thread, thanks for posting this.

I found a great deal on an 18" .223 Wylde stainless barrel, 1:7 twist and (obviously HBAR). Wilson combat BCG, skeletonized upper/lower, and the Geissle trigger was on sale too. I think I am all-in at this point, there is nothing to do but wait for the parts and build it.

Where did you find the barrel?

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm researching the parts for my first build and I want to hold true to the buy once cry once mantra. Not really on a budget per se but I'm not trying to break the bank on super high end stuff because I'm only an occasional shooter.

The purpose of the rifle is going to be range use and maybe local 3 gun competitions (using that term loosely as I don't see my self as competitive compared to regular shooters). I was dead set on the ALG ACT trigger as I felt like I don't need a super trigger for my usage but wanted an upgrade from mil spec. Then I came across a Brownell's sale on the Geissele Rapid Fire Trigger. My understanding is that this is a Brownell's exclusive from Geissele that mimics the S3G save for the laser engravings and batch testing vs individual testing.

Now the question is this, if I were to go with the B-GRF am I buying a Ferrari and only driving it in first gear with my usage? Will the ACT serve the purpose I'm looking for?

Thank you!

No experience with the RTF trigger. I have the ACT trigger in 2 ARs. It's not a Geissele, but it's also not $200. It's much better than the stock mil-spec - clean, light break. It's a good trigger for the money, and if you're only an occasional shooter, it will more than do you.

Actually, if you're building it yourself, PSA sometimes has sales on their ACT lower parts kit; the whole kit is ~$80 and includes the ACT trigger.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

It's almost 2 months away, but it's the last one he's doing for now.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=170022

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    "cycling right" Well looking at your picture, STOP using under power Wolf ammo.

Wolf Gold, 55gr brass cased ammo is fine.

"The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition was 3213 FPS with a standard deviation of 25 FPS. For comparison, IMI M193 had a muzzle velocity of 3274 FPS when fired from the same barrel, with a standard deviation of 18 FPS."

This is from Molon here:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?167745-Range-Report-Wolf-Gold-55-Grain-FMJ

Wolf Gold is made in Taiwan and is great ammo for the price.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Has the very first post from 2009 been updated anytime recently? It's hard sorting through hundreds of threads on AR builds (both 9mm and 5.56/.223) and get a good handle on the hands on reviews of lowers, barrels and the like.

I want to start a 5.56 build with a stripped lower, but it's still not clear where to start. I'm kind of a "you get what you paid for" person, and want to maximize the likelyhood of decent part quality from the get go. For lowers I am trending YHM as a somewhat pricey but good solid choice, RRA and CMMG appear hit or miss, couple of companies that start with "P" seem to have bad reps...

Thoughts on the lower issue?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anderson is good and cheap. Spikes is quite good and not so cheap. Aero Precision is very good and not so cheap.

That sums up my experiences.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Has the very first post from 2009 been updated anytime recently? It's hard sorting through hundreds of threads on AR builds (both 9mm and 5.56/.223) and get a good handle on the hands on reviews of lowers, barrels and the like.

I want to start a 5.56 build with a stripped lower, but it's still not clear where to start. I'm kind of a "you get what you paid for" person, and want to maximize the likelyhood of decent part quality from the get go. For lowers I am trending YHM as a somewhat pricey but good solid choice, RRA and CMMG appear hit or miss, couple of companies that start with "P" seem to have bad reps...

Thoughts on the lower issue?

Billet parts(uppers and lower) are fancy(and more expensive) and all, but forged parts are sturdier and usually better spec'ed.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I was just looking at Spikes online--I wish they had a snake head but could work with the spider or Punisher logo. My post retirement employment starts tomorrow morning in a (wait for it) gun shop, and they have advertised Spikes lowers, so i can get a first hand look shortly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom