• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Many Extra Mags Do You Buy for a Bolt Gun?

• None, just the original.

Votes: 8 12.5%
    • Original Plus 1

Votes: 17 26.6%
    • 2 extra mags

Votes: 14 21.9%
    • 3 or more extra mags

Votes: 25 39.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just how many extra mags do you buy for your bolt guns with removable mags? I tend to get just one extra, but for my most recent purchase I ended up buying three (one spare plus 2 higher capacity 6 round mags).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Never considered buying a spare mag for my Browning A-Bolt II.

Do bolt gun mags go bad?

This could be used as an excuse to buy more gun stuff.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    A minimum of one spare in case the original is lost or damaged, It depends on what you are using it for and how rare the mag is. I have one rifle that the mags are damn near impossible to find, so I am careful with the whole gun.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Most of my bolt guns (including slug gun) I have 4 or 5 mags.

The plus is some are a Ruger rimfire that take 10/22 mags......and I got a bunch.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Never considered buying a spare mag for my Browning A-Bolt II.

Do bolt gun mags go bad?

This could be used as an excuse to buy more gun stuff.

A magazine is a magazine and they at best have a usable lifetime, at worst they are disposable.

Affording them is another question; I'm looking at you Sako and AI.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Most of my bolt guns (including slug gun) I have 4 or 5 mags.

The plus is some are a Ruger rimfire that take 10/22 mags......and I got a bunch.

I am looking at picking up a .17hmr CZ 455 and that alone was enough for me to add a Ruger american to the wishlist vs buying a .22lr barrel for the CZ (Mags are only 5rd's and $45 each!) since the 10/22 shares same mags as the Ruger American, 3 packs are as low as $30 and they are 10 rounders!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It depends on price and availability.

My 77/22, I have lots of mags, but they are 10/22 mags, so not really a normal situation.

My PS-1, I had 5 total, but ran across a deal on them. When I moved the action to a Manners with mini chassis, I had 3, 2x 5 and 1x 10, because they were very expensive mags. but them MagPul brought out a mag for them, and I got 2x MagPul.

My CZ455, I have about 5 total. A mix of 5 and 10 rounders.

My other bolt rifles are internal mags.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    For me it is one two two extras, depending on the gun and the cost of the mags. Good to have a spare, even for something as stupid as dropping the magazine somewhere in the woods and loosing it. I don't expect to be swapping out magazines for bolt guns is a SHTF situation, so I don't stack them as deep as battle riffles/EBRs

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    For me it is one two two extras, depending on the gun and the cost of the mags. Good to have a spare, even for something as stupid as dropping the magazine somewhere in the woods and loosing it. I don't expect to be swapping out magazines for bolt guns is a SHTF situation, so I don't stack them as deep as battle riffles/EBRs

I bought 2 extra for my Tikka, not so I can whack the entire herd, but because I tend to lose situational awareness where I stashed that blasted magazine on dark rainy mornings.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My only bolt gun is an internal trap door mag (Sako). I’d probably go with at least one spare, maybe two. A spare is nice to have in case you lose one. For my semis, I like to carry a spare mag with the ammo in it hunting. I’ve experienced enough fumble fingers and dumb crap to know some day I’ll end up taking the mag out to load it before heading in to deer woods or something only to have left it in the trunk of my car or whatever. Or drop it in to mud. Hopefully the spare mag loaded up means it is in my pocket and I can slip it in my rifle when I get to a stand or a sit and realize I’ve got an empty mag well, or I am staring at a mud puddle with the magazine I was about to load an extra round in to sitting in the middle of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom