• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Been thinking about that same rifle myself. :D Does it shoot as good as it looks? What's your opinion of the trigger?

Trigger is awesome and adjustable. Company guarantees sub MOA with match ammo. I owned that exact setup. I bought 3 bolt guns from a member here. A Savage 10, a Remington 700, and the Vanguard. I sold all 3 before shooting any of them.

I really didn't want to sell the Vanguard but a buddy offered me the right price so I sold. I kind of wish I kept it. That setup looked great with the Talley rings and the walnut stock. I've gotten away from weaver base/ring combos that creep over into the breach area.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Trigger is awesome and adjustable. Company guarantees sub MOA with match ammo. I owned that exact setup. I bought 3 bolt guns from a member here. A Savage 10, a Remington 700, and the Vanguard. I sold all 3 before shooting any of them.

I really didn't want to sell the Vanguard but a buddy offered me the right price so I sold. I kind of wish I kept it. That setup looked great with the Talley rings and the walnut stock. I've gotten away from weaver base/ring combos that creep over into the breach area.

Thanks! Appreciate the input.

Got the 10 and the 700. Not the Weatherby Sporter....yet. :D

That rifle seems like a real value to me.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thanks! Appreciate the input.

Got the 10 and the 700. Not the Weatherby Sporter....yet. :D

That rifle seems like a real value to me.

For what you get and the quality of the rifle I think the value is definitely there. The 3 position safety is a nice touch as well. You get fire, safe, and safe with a bolt lock. I guess you use the bolt lock when you are moving through the brush and don't want the bolt to accidentally open. The rosewood cap and metal to wood interfaces are all really well done. The balance is nice, the weight is about 8lbs with scope, and it has a medium contour barrel. Like I said I kind of regret selling it. Oh well

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Don't overlook Savage. Affordable, Accutrigger, real good shooters. .308, 30-06, .270 Win., all good deer rounds.

Msrp is slightly higher than you specified, bot the Savage 10 FCP SR can be had for 700 or less. Barrel is a heavy FLUTED barrel with stiffness advantages of a target rifle but the fluting reduces the weight somewhat. Also, I do believe Savage still might have rebates available making the rifle much less than your upper limit.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm really leaning towards a Savage 10 fcp-sr and just dealing with the extra 2 pounds over these other options. They have a $100 rebate right now, so it's under $500 easy after shipping and transfer.

I didnt get this far down before my previous post, but if you can get that gun for under 500, it's a steal. Dealer cost on the gun is around 580 with most selling it for 700 or thereabouts.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Amazing...just watched a video with a long range shooter hitting a target a mile away with a “budget” Ruger American 6.5 Creedmore.

Folks spending around $450 for the rifle and $300 for one the many quality “budget” scopes out there are ringing the bell at 1000 yards. Nice.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I went with .308. The other calibers seem great, but the long distance arguments don't suit what I intend to shoot most often. The closest 300+ yard range is 3 hours from home.

For anyone else looking, Gymratz beat the best internet price on that Ruger. I couldn't say no. Sportsman outdoor superstore has the Savage 10 fcp-sr for $550 shipped, but after transfer, Gymratz was pretty close to that price. My first time in that shop, but it seems they might as well just start taking a portion of the paycheck.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The Ruger American .308 is a great choice.

Posting the “one mile budget rifle hit” was just supporting testimony on how confident one can be making those 200 yard shots with an affordable design that can reach out and bang the gong 1760 yards away.

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    You will like how it shoots, and adjustable trigger, too! Like you I found gymratz last week and picked up a S&W mp 15-22. Great price and it was just hanging on the wall looking for a new home! Will definitely make them the first call when looking for a new firearm.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    We'll, here she is. Hoping to get it sighted in asap. I'll need to find some lower rings soon, but this will do for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20171024_144413204-800x450.jpg
      IMG_20171024_144413204-800x450.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 104

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Amazing...just watched a video with a long range shooter hitting a target a mile away with a “budget” Ruger American 6.5 Creedmore.

Folks spending around $450 for the rifle and $300 for one the many quality “budget” scopes out there are ringing the bell at 1000 yards. Nice.

The Ruger American .308 is a great choice.

I'm having that 308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor debate too, looking at deals on Ruger American, Winchester XPR, and Tikka T3X Lite rifles. It's a good market to be a shopper right now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    There have been more deer killed with the 30-30 than any other round...

And Lever Action Rifles are FUN...

I have a scope & a bi-pod on mine...

Mine is a Marlin 336XLR...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Compromise and get a 7mm 08. I'm pretty sure it is smack dab between the two.
    I'll take a look at it. I might want to do some distance target shooting in 2018, but don't want to break the bank. I liked the 6.5 Creedmoor in comparison to 308 in ballistic performance in this regard.

A 308 bolt remains in the running because I have a good stock of 308 ammo for a Browning lever in the same caliber. Can pick up a Ruger American in 308 for around $330 right now (not incl shipping and transfer). But decent 6.5 Creedmoor options aren't much more (and not really interested in the T/C or Savage deals currently), especially for dual purpose lightweight field rifles under 7 lbs.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'll take a look at it. I might want to do some distance target shooting in 2018, but don't want to break the bank. I liked the 6.5 Creedmoor in comparison to 308 in ballistic performance in this regard.

A 308 bolt remains in the running because I have a good stock of 308 ammo for a Browning lever in the same caliber. Can pick up a Ruger American in 308 for around $330 right now (not incl shipping and transfer). But decent 6.5 Creedmoor options aren't much more (and not really interested in the T/C or Savage deals currently), especially for dual purpose lightweight field rifles under 7 lbs.

How about a Tikka?

https://grabagun.com/tikka-t3x-lite-7mm-08-rem-22-4-inch-barrel-3-rounds-blued.html

https://grabagun.com/tikka-t3x-lite-308-win-22-4-inchbarrel-3-rounds-blued.html

[EDIT] Oops - I already posted this once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom