• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Hi, everybody,
    What do folks use when transporting your rifle? I've seen people use those soft cases which costs about $30-40. There are also hard cases made by Plano that costs $70-80 on Amazon? Pros, Cons?
    Thanks.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I has my trunk gun in a soft case. It gets the sh1t beat out of it in there. But my optic is good and on a QD mount and my irons (Magpul MBUS Pro LR's) hold zero. I don't really worry about cosmetics.

Pros for soft cases
    Lightweight
    Can be finangled into odd locations
    Provide some protection to the firearm
    Can be rolled up for easy storage on the firing line

Cons
    They can get damaged easier
    Not liquid resistant
    Need to maintain firearm (they can trap moisture)

Hard case Pros
    Durable
    With custom foam can be reconfigured for multiple firearms
    Can be used as an expedient shooting rest
    Can be used for transportation (flights)
    Provide much better protection to bumps and impacts.

Cons
    Heavier and bulkier
    PITA to secure on the firing line at indoor ranges
    They scuff and show it.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have my scoped Winchester Model 94 in a hard case and prefer them for any weapon with a scope. It has had the same Weaver 4x on it for almost 40 years and it is dead on every time I pull it out! The gun still looks like the day I got it, too! This was my deer rifle and was packed along with all the other stuff I would need for a week long hunting trip many times in several vehicles and I never once worried about it needing adjustment before a hunt. I was always able to take my deer on the first shot!

For my tactical weapons, I prefer a soft case because they are lighter and can be carried using the incorporated sling. They are my preference for SHTF weapons.

If you are flying or shipping a weapon, the hard case is the way to go to insure it is protected from those less careful than you would like.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You can get the 42" Plano case at walmart online for $59 and avoid shipping by picking it up at the nearest store. Its a great case for scoped rifles. I can fit my AR15 rifle and 300BO pistol in one case.

I've got a number of soft cases too. Sometimes when only bringing one gun to a range I'll just use the soft case.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Pelican or Starlight case, if you have the money. If you don't have that kind of money for a hard case, get the 42" Plano.

I have a soft case for my 300BLK to transport to and from deer season, but those days are coming to a close, once I snag another Plano hard case, Pelican, or Starlight.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What do you mean by this? Too big for indoor ranges?
    Thanks.

Sorry was out at dinner with Bigfoot. Sidenote, I saw Bigfoot!

To answer your question. I can take my soft case and roll it into a package roughly the size of my arm.
    Secure it with paracord and you can shove it anywhere without it being a hassle. Hard cases don't shrink.

The realistic answer is to buy both. For security I can chain a hard case. Not great security but better than getting a gun from any soft case with a knife and 2 minutes.

phinfanfrommd

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Pelican or Starlight case, if you have the money. If you don't have that kind of money for a hard case, get the 42" Plano.

I have a soft case for my 300BLK to transport to and from deer season, but those days are coming to a close, once I snag another Plano hard case, Pelican, or Starlight.

If you're not in a hurry and have something you can transport your rifle in, keep your eyes on GovDeals.com. This site is where federal, state, and local gov's sell surplus. I have seen used Pelican cases of all shapes and sizes sold for a fraction of the cost new. You may need to pick up some new foam inserts, but it's still worth it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If you're not in a hurry and have something you can transport your rifle in, keep your eyes on GovDeals.com. This site is where federal, state, and local gov's sell surplus. I have seen used Pelican cases of all shapes and sizes sold for a fraction of the cost new. You may need to pick up some new foam inserts, but it's still worth it.
    Good call! I'll keep my eyes open on there. Thanks!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I occasionally buy a cheap range bag when they go on sale. For instance, I bought two of these when they went on sale for like $50-60 last year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DBPMVQW/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?

I forget if I actually bought them from amazon or somewhere else. They are a little too tactical for my taste, but they hold a lot of stuff securely and I never have issues with my guns getting beat up. I think nutnfancy did one of his thirty bajillion hour reviews on how good these are, so that's either a plus or a minus depending on your perspective. They definitely operate operationally, but it could be worse. At least they are not goruck brand. I try to buy American whenever I can, but so far I haven't found anything worth investing in.

Having at least one hard case is important. I have a super long one that fits a couple of the 50+" milsurp rifles from the early 20th century, so I use that plus gun socks to keep them from getting more beat up when I take them to the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom