• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A lot of folks go to Cresap to zero their rifles before deer season. It's the only publicly available range in Frederick County where one can do this (and is useful as it goes to 100 yards vs indoor facilities that max out at 25 yards).

Is Frederick city or county involved in the range closure? I ask because Jan Gardner, the county executive, has tried to close the public ranges in the past.

Whichever entity is involved, it does some like a completely cynical move. Try to get rid of the rifle club to make space for a larger law enforcement training facility - in which they probably get better remittances if a federal entity comes to train there. Gov't for the people ... or gov't for the gov't?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Is Frederick city or county involved in the range closure? I ask because Jan Gardner, the county executive, has tried to close the public ranges in the past.

Whichever entity is involved, it does some like a completely cynical move. Try to get rid of the rifle club to make space for a larger law enforcement training facility - in which they probably get better remittances if a federal entity comes to train there. Gov't for the people ... or gov't for the gov't?

I don't believe that the county is part of this fiasco. I think it is the City of Frederick that has been looking for any reason at all to shut down Cresap, due to Cresap hosting some LE agencies that the city range would love to have as clients. Without Cresap, the agencies will have to turn elsewhere for their range needs and who better to provide it at the same location?

The city has become more and more progressive as time has gone on and as such, their views on guns have shifted to the negative. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody said they want Cresap closed, so the City Police Academy can have more land to develop other types of facilities on.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The city has become more and more progressive as time has gone on and as such, their views on guns have shifted to the negative. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody said they want Cresap closed, so the City Police Academy can have more land to develop other types of facilities on.

I find this plausible based only on circumstantial evidence. Going downtown sucks. It's literally a blizzard of special snowflakes, hipsters and latte-sipping yuppie-antique shoppers looking at shit priced $200 more than it should be. How any gun shop is able to survive in Frederick is beyond me.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I realize this post may fall under the heading of rumormongoring because I cannot verify the details, though our club's government liaison stated that Cresap was permanently closed because a round escaped from the range and impacted the police property, possibly causing damage to a vehicle, though there were no injuries. The mayor reportedly has or is in the process of terminating the club's lease. Another area club has picked up nearly a dozen new members as a result.

Folks with the right contacts may want to look into it from this angle to see if there is any substance to this report.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I realize this post may fall under the heading of rumormongoring because I cannot verify the details, though our club's government liaison stated that Cresap was permanently closed because a round escaped from the range and impacted the police property, possibly causing damage to a vehicle, though there were no injuries. The mayor reportedly has or is in the process of terminating the club's lease. Another area club has picked up nearly a dozen new members as a result.

Folks with the right contacts may want to look into it from this angle to see if there is any substance to this report.

Sounds shady to me. The parking lot for the five-oh range is behind the firing line at Cresap.

Unless it was a non-public day and a member of CRC was being an asshat and shooting in a direction they absolutely should not have been firing in, I don't see how this could be possible.

Here's a question. Which was there first? Cresap? Or the City range?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Sounds shady to me. The parking lot for the five-oh range is behind the firing line at Cresap.

Unless it was a non-public day and a member of CRC was being an asshat and shooting in a direction they absolutely should not have been firing in, I don't see how this could be possible.

I would love details myself. I just posted in the hopes that someone may have the access to the right folks to find out.

Regarding who what there first? That reminds me about the issue of the airport and all the people who built around it, moved in, and complain about the noise, or who buy a home near a 4th generation farm then biotch about the smell when the farmer manures the field, etc., etc., etc...

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown

I remember the public range used to be down by the river and I'm not sure if it was named CRESAP or not. I think the city range and the pistol club were already there at that time also but not positive. This was the late 80's/early 90's.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I remember the public range used to be down by the river and I'm not sure if it was named CRESAP or not. I think the city range and the pistol club were already there at that time also but not positive. This was the late 80's/early 90's.

Pretty sure it was called Cresap back then.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Gotcha. The reason I was wondering about it is that the way that Cresap is shoe-horned in is inherently "dangerous" for the police range the way that they are set up. If you're down-range of the pistol backstop at Cresap, the obvious line of flight of a stray round that might happen to work past a baffle or the berm is the city police range.

It could be argued that if Cresap were to remove a few of their rifle benches and move the pistol range to the right, they'd alleviate the vast majority of chances for stray round escaping the confines of the range in a potentially hazardous direction.

Now, the other thing I'd like to know is what kind of round impacted the vehicle in question, and could it have come from the police range with someone either ND-ing or using a personal weapon.

Mini14Tom

Nobody in particular.
    Aug 4, 2013
    East Frederick Co.
    Gotcha. The reason I was wondering about it is that the way that Cresap is shoe-horned in is inherently "dangerous" for the police range the way that they are set up. If you're down-range of the pistol backstop at Cresap, the obvious line of flight of a stray round that might happen to work past a baffle or the berm is the city police range.

It could be argued that if Cresap were to remove a few of their rifle benches and move the pistol range to the right, they'd alleviate the vast majority of chances for stray round escaping the confines of the range in a potentially hazardous direction. .

What you surmise and suggest for mitigating the problem seem correct and plausible.

I just looked at a satellite photo of the ranges with Bing Maps and the possibility of errant rounds from Cresap range landing on the police range is is quite apparent. The lines of fire are not parallel but convergent. All the firing line positions on the police range are way, way forward of the Cresap firing line. The satellite photo shows vehicles parked at the police range firing line nearest the road that are situated beyond the Cresap pistol range back-stop embankment so it is possible that a ricochet or negligently fired round from the Cresap pistol range could impact a building or vehicle on the police range property.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What you surmise and suggest for mitigating the problem seem correct and plausible.

I just looked at a satellite photo of the ranges with Bing Maps and the possibility of errant rounds from Cresap range landing on the police range is is quite apparent. The lines of fire are not parallel but convergent. All the firing line positions on the police range are way, way forward of the Cresap firing line. The satellite photo shows vehicles parked at the police range firing line nearest the road that are situated beyond the Cresap pistol range back-stop embankment so it is possible that a ricochet or negligently fired round from the Cresap pistol range could impact a building or vehicle on the police range property.

Anyone know which range was in place first? This seems like a design error given both ranges are side-by-side.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Anyone know which range was in place first? This seems like a design error given both ranges are side-by-side.

That's why I asked earlier. Consensus seems to be that the police range was there first. However, the configuration may have changed over time moving the police firing line into an area that would be less safe than previously given the layout of Cresap.

Another mitigation idea would be to simply ask Cresap to re-arrange their bench orientation for the pistol lanes to a point further right of the current backstop thereby alleviating ricochet or ND issues.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    As to the definitive answer of who was where first. I present this:

cresap.jpg

It's clear from this that the Frederick City Police had their firing range in place prior to Cresap. It's also clear, however, that upon the construction of Cresap, the Frederick City Police moved their firing lanes. I would assume that Cresap had submitted plans for permitting showing where their lanes, berms, etc. would be located and oriented.

Again, this smacks of "hmmm, we want more land, but we don't want to wait until the lease is up..."

I hope Cresap either re-opens, or are able to sue and win enough money from the city to buy a piece of property elsewhere and not have to worry about leases anymore.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to find somewhere else to sight in my black powder rifle and shotgun for deer season now.....

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Well, that sucks. There were rumors for a while now that Cresap was in danger given their specific lease arrangement with the city. Monocacy Pistol Club is right next to them and still going strong as a private club, though without the liability of rifle rounds.

I haven't been to Cresap in forever, since they stopped being open to the public as often. It was never a friendly or permissive environment on public days, but it was safe... and still one of the few ranges that was 100 yards and open to the public. RIP. I always tipped a few bucks, just because.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I believe the police reconfiguration is a some what recent thing. With in the past 5 years.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I believe the police reconfiguration is a some what recent thing. With in the past 5 years.

If this is accurate, did they go through a safety approval process involving outside evaluators (vs. a department decision made via executive fiat), taking in account the design of the neighboring range? Highly negligent if they didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom