• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    "Mixed Hardwood" not otherwised specified will frequently be mostly Gum and Poplar . If it consists of substantial portions of Oak, Hickory, etc , it will be advertised as such, generally for premium price.

And "seasoned " is a matter of buyer beware . I have literally watched a tree go from being a live growing tree, to being offered for sale as " seasoned firewood" in less than 24 hrs .

True but many woods will literally "bleed" water when first cut. Poplar has that greenish tint if split, I can live with gum as long as I don't need to split it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I mean I literally watched a neighbor cut down a specific tree, and split it, and the next day the same tree in firewood lengths was in the front yard with a sign advertising "seasoned firewood " .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I mean I literally watched a neighbor cut down a specific tree, and split it, and the next day the same tree in firewood lengths was in the front yard with a sign advertising "seasoned firewood " .

He wouldn't be lying if he had girdled the tree at least 6mo prior to cutting it down. I did that with a spruce that had been attacked by bag worms. By the time I felled it this spring (5 months after girdling the previous year) it literally took one match to get the whole thing to burn cleanly in the garden plot. If you girdle a tree, it cuts off the sap supply to everything above the girdling cut, so it seasons in place before you fell it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nah . It was during the real estate crash in early '90s . He needed to relocate, but was severely upside down . Went through foreclosure, etc .Got to the point if thet needed groceries oe utility bill, or whatever, he would cut down one of the Bank's trees and sell the "seasoned firewood" with fresh leaves still attatched for petty cash.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Frey dropped off a cord of wood the other day. I'd say it was a cord and a quarter. That was nice of them. Mixed hardwood as expected but unfortunately about a half a dozen logs has the signs of powderpost beetles. As a rule I don't store a bulk of the wood anywhere within 100 paces of the house. Usually, keep a small amount about 30 feet away for quick grab but with this cord I won't be bringing it near the house unless it goes right in the fireplace. So it'll be a long trudge to get wood each time we need to replenish the fire.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Just fyi, in Crofton 450/424 intersection they are at $300 cord no discounts, oak. I would not advise even stopping there since it has changed hands. I made a woods walk for trees to fell and got 6 deer ticks! worst ever. Glad you got some wood Pilot.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    "Mixed Hardwood" not otherwised specified will frequently be mostly Gum and Poplar . If it consists of substantial portions of Oak, Hickory, etc , it will be advertised as such, generally for premium price.

And "seasoned " is a matter of buyer beware . I have literally watched a tree go from being a live growing tree, to being offered for sale as " seasoned firewood" in less than 24 hrs .

Call me crazy but i liked burning gum once the fire was good and hot (i no longer burn wood). That stuff seemed to last forever and put off good heat.

I have a recently fallen Red oak limb with an ~24" diameter- free for the taking. I already cut what my 18" bar and personal skill set would allow.
    Probably a good two cords there.

No idea why pictures turn upside down on MDS

Attachments

• 20170804_194602.jpg
      20170804_194602.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 96

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Have oak that fell in 2015 cut and mostly split, intended to get wood burning stove but decided against it, up for the taking. You haul awa

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom