• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Went to the big MACA show in Timonium yesterday. Had a great time seeing some friends and looking at all the good stuff.

I saw a lot of stuff I wanted for fair prices, but I went in there looking for one thing in particular and I managed to find it. A Gasser M1870/74 Revolver.

The M1870/74 was the standard Austro-Hungarian service/Cavalry revolver for many years. It was superceded later on by the M1898 Rast-Gasser, Steyr-Roth and Steyr-Hahn but was never really replaced up through WWI where they were still heavily used. The design was fairly popular in Europe at the time.

It fires a massive 11.3x38r cartridge which helps explain why its so large. It doesn't look as big in the picture but its over a foot long from end to end. The Austro-Hungarian Fruwirth Cavalry Carbine uses the same round.

C&Rsenal did a very good video on it if you have the time to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpYMhZjTDQk

This is one of the nicest ones that I've ever seen. I've only seen a few pop up for sale and ones in good shape are few and far between due to the long service life. Everything matches and it's free of rust/pitting.

This particular revolver was made in 1882. Austro-Hungarian stuff is usually unit marked, but this revolver isn't which is a little disappointing, but not a huge deal. What's really interesting is that it has a re-issue stamp from 1929, which means that it was re-accepted for service in the Post-WW1 Austrian military. Othias mentions in his video that according to his source there is one other known example.

I paid $975 for it which I consider to be a good deal. These things are pretty sought after and command a big premium in good shape.

Brass for it can be made from 7.62x54r. I might try to make some for it eventually but I'm in no rush to shoot it.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
      IMG_0422.jpg
      130.1 KB · Views: 854
    • IMG_0430.jpg
      IMG_0430.jpg
      98.2 KB · Views: 720
    • IMG_0436.jpg
      IMG_0436.jpg
      124.8 KB · Views: 662
    • IMG_0442.jpg
      IMG_0442.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 744
    • IMG_0465.jpg
      IMG_0465.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 607
    • IMG_0471.jpg
      IMG_0471.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 616

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Went to the big MACA show in Timonium yesterday. Had a great time seeing some friends and looking at all the good stuff.

I saw a lot of stuff I wanted for fair prices, but I went in there looking for one thing in particular and I managed to find it. A Gasser M1870/74 Revolver.

The M1870/74 was the standard Austro-Hungarian service/Cavalry revolver for many years. It was superceded later on by the M1898 Rast-Gasser, Steyr-Roth and Steyr-Hahn but was never really replaced up through WWI where they were still heavily used. The design was fairly popular in Europe at the time.

It fires a massive 11.3x38r cartridge which helps explain why its so large. It doesn't look as big in the picture but its over a foot long from end to end. The Austro-Hungarian Fruwirth Cavalry Carbine uses the same round.

C&Rsenal did a very good video on it if you have the time to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpYMhZjTDQk

This is one of the nicest ones that I've ever seen. I've only seen a few pop up for sale and ones in good shape are few and far between due to the long service life. Everything matches and it's free of rust/pitting.

This particular revolver was made in 1882. Austro-Hungarian stuff is usually unit marked, but this revolver isn't which is a little disappointing, but not a huge deal. What's really interesting is that it has a re-issue stamp from 1929, which means that it was re-accepted for service in the Post-WW1 Austrian military. Othias mentions in his video that according to his source there is one other known example.

I paid $975 for it which I consider to be a good deal. These things are pretty sought after and command a big premium in good shape.

Brass for it can be made from 7.62x54r. I might try to make some for it eventually but I'm in no rush to shoot it.

Neat

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    OH man, you STOLE that. I remember watching the C&Rsenal video and wishing I could get my hands on one. It's a REALLY HANDSOME pistol, IMO.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice! Missed seeing you at Margie's table this year. Wasn't sure with everything you have going on in your world if you'd find the time to attend MACA this year. Glad to see you're still in the hunt!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice! Missed seeing you at Margie's table this year. Wasn't sure with everything you have going on in your world if you'd find the time to attend MACA this year. Glad to see you're still in the hunt!

Thanks guys! Yea I wasn’t able to work the show with Margie this year. I was hoping I’d be able to, but the new job took up too much time. I’m just glad I was able to make it to the show at all.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Very cool pistol Dan , i was bidding on something similar today but i had to let them go as the buyer premium was 30% and i have a bunch of other bids in.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very cool pistol Dan , i was bidding on something similar today but i had to let them go as the buyer premium was 30% and i have a bunch of other bids in.

Years ago I attended an auction at Alex Cooper in Towson. They normally don't do much in firearms, mostly rugs, furniture, etc from estates. But this day they had a bunch of decent 1903 Springfields, Mosin Nagants, etc. Not long after they started selling off the gun lots old man Cooper hizzelf stops the auction and berates bidders that they're not opening their wallets wide enough, that these lots are worth so much more. And I stated "Perhaps it's the 25% combined buyer's premium and sales tax that's depressing bids". He wasn't a happy camper. Or at least until former Field Marshal Kesselring's baton came up and sold for nearly 850K with the 20 point vig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom