• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    https://practiscore.com/pntc-march-2018-kahr-defensive-handgun-series-am/register

this is a fun match, similar to idpa / uspsa, you run around and shoot stuff!

they are doing these the same days as their Steel Challenge. so especially if you're a newbie, you could do steel challenge in the morning for a warmup/primer (draw and shoot practice) and then do Kahr in the afternoon.

Kahr Defensive Handgun Series is an action packed pistol match with paper and steel. We run AM and PM squads with 5 stages per match. With 4 basic divisions and a straight forward scoring system it is great for all disciplines of shooters at all levels. Members $30 (Members must present current badge at check-in) Non-members $35 (additional $5 at check-in).

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    like IDPA but with a LOT fewer rules. a lot of fun. every entry into a match gets an entry into end of year raffle too (double entry if you are shooting a Kahr group gun). another cool point is that some of the stages are in the wooded areas at some of the events.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Sounds like it might be friendly to non-hardcore-competitive entrants. I’ll bet I’m not the only one who would love to see some video of this exact sort of event to better understand the dynamics and if it’s a good fit for one’s skills, equipment, etc.

I think a lot of people back off from committing to the drive and the time because they’re not sure what they’ll be getting themselves into. If this isn’t something somebody has done, it’s challenging to try to get a feel for it. I know at least a couple of life-long paper punchers who would probably really enjoy this sort of thing, but are convinced they’ll feel out of place if they’re not showing up with race guns and years of experience.

So, just generally, I’ll encourage people who mention these events to find a way to make it clearer who will be comfortable (and equipped with what) at the event being mentioned - might really increase participation!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZm26oOsDn8

well don't laugh too much, but this is one of the kahr matches i did at peacemaker. just youtube for 'kahr defensive match at pntc' and you will find more from others.

basically instead of punching paper at a static range, you run around and shoot the various cardboard and steel targets they have set up throughout a bay. all you need is a handgun, holster, 2-3 mag pouches (or use pockets), 3-4 mags, and 3-4 boxes of ammo. i really haven't met anyone who didn't love these, and most were pissed they waited so long to give it a try. the range officer will walk you thru everything and everyone is free to ask any questions they have.

safety is job #1. your finger must be clearly and visibly outside the triggerguard while drawing and holstering, while reloading, while fixing any jams, while moving between target arrays, basically all the time unless you are actually shooting at targets. your muzzle must always be pointed generally downrange. gun stays empty, in holster, until the range officer tells you to 'make ready' when it's your turn to shoot. at that point you draw, load it up and holster it for your run. the RO beeps the timer and you draw and start shooting. when you show up to the match, just tell them you're new to this and they will take care of you. at your various stages, tell the RO you're new and he/she will walk you thru everything.

i get the apprehension, but there are tens of thousands of normal guys doing this every weekend. everyone did their first match at some point. try it and if you don't like it, don't do it again.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for the run-through. I've shot in dozens of cowboy matches, have done some ASI sessions, etc. - so the basic rhythms and sensibilities are very familiar. I think what most people (who haven't done anything like this) worry about it is the culture of the event. They don't want to be that guy who has bitten off more than they could or should chew, and I'm sure you know the kind of events I'm talking about.

I guess the main point I was making in commenting was how much I think it would help if EVERY time somebody here mentions an upcoming event, they'd take an extra few sentences to characterize the event and for who it would be a good fit. Might really bring out some pent-up participants.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I’m just getting stuff together to try IDPA. What are the divisions in the Kahr event? PCC, Limited, Single Stack etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    PCC, Open (long mags, optics and comps allowed), Limited (iron sights, no comp), Single Stack

if you're going to do idpa, then do this. pretty much same concept, run around and shoot stuff. same safety rules as all the other games, but less operational/administrative rules (change mags whenever you want, no concealment, shoot targets in whatever order you want).

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    On a lark I opened up the registration page, and clicked the link that it said would explain the classifications. Couldn't really make any sense out of it, so that definitely was a show stopper!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    On a lark I opened up the registration page, and clicked the link that it said would explain the classifications. Couldn't really make any sense out of it, so that definitely was a show stopper!

oh c'mon don't give up that easily. you're talking the divisions - open, pcc, single stack and limited? open is pretty much any handgun, with a comp/brake and optics allowed on it (look up sti dvc open, though carry optics handguns are also allowed in this division). pcc is pistol caliber carbine, basically an AR-15 or similar in 9mm or larger pistol caliber. single stack is 1911 and since they didn't define caliber, 9mm or up. limited is everything else, most handguns with iron sights, no comp or optics - glock, m&p, sti 2011/double stack 1911, etc, again 9mm or more. cmon give it a try and you will have fun!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    This match isn't super formal. It is, however, a lot of fun. You can show up and shoot with very minimal equipment. If you want to run a full open rig with CRSpeed belt, wear cleats, and take it seriously, you certainly can. Those who show up and run their daily carry rigs (yes, that does happen) can get some useful practice in too. There are (based on equipment observations) a lot of different disciplines represented in the shooters at these matches. The story as I read it is that since some of them are near holidays there may be themes. The zombie finale last year was pretty cool. Dunno what's up for this next one. Maybe leprechaun target? Cinco match will be interesting. Sombreros should be encouraged, just because.

The divisions are very simple and not crazy complicated. As davsco says, you can shoot with just about anything. If you are unsure of division just pick what you think is right and show up. If you are still unsure when you get there, ask the MD or someone in your squad. You can edit the information right then and there in the scoring tablet. People show up for Steel Challenge and have no idea what division they should be in. It happens. Fix it, forget it, and then shoot.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    occam, sign up for the sat pm match and bring what you got. get there around 10-11 and you can watch a few stages of the morning match, which i am shooting. come find me and i will walk you thru everything so that you are more than prepared for the afternoon match. instead of making excuses, Make Ready!!!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    occam, sign up for the sat pm match and bring what you got. get there around 10-11 and you can watch a few stages of the morning match, which i am shooting. come find me and i will walk you thru everything so that you are more than prepared for the afternoon match. instead of making excuses, Make Ready!!!

Joke's on me. Finally worked out the logistics with the Mrs, so went to register ... and looks like registration is closed up (except for two in the Kahr event, not the steel games). Me snooze, me lose! Good luck and have fun, to all who will be participating. Not sure I will make the 3hr round trip to observe, but might get squirrely.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Joke's on me. Finally worked out the logistics with the Mrs, so went to register ... and looks like registration is closed

which match(es) did you want to do? either way, call them 304.229.4867 and see if they can find/make room for you. there is always someone who doesn't show up for one reason or another.

and again as far as divisions, just bring what you got and they'll advise you which one is best for your gear. the rf** divisions in steel challenge are all rimfire.

and if you've done cowboy action, you will have no problems with either steel challenge or kahr defensive matches.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Despite some mayhem in the "sorry you can't but oops now you can!" registration issues (no reflection on Peacemaker or USPSA - it was Practiscore funkiness), I managed to pull this off. As expected, some stuff that got baked into my brain shooting cowboy action was either a bit off-kilter or even outright minor trouble for the steel challenge game. But by taking my time and really not caring about anything but procedure, that all sank in quickly enough after a couple of stages. Was torn on whether to shoot with what I carry, or with something with a longer format, and ended up using my Beretta 92. It's no race gun, and that long, heavy DA was a bit of a gotcha on stages with smaller plates at a bit of a distance. Had some very respectable times, as well as some laughable strings, but that was the whole point - getting deflowered and not caring about the actual results.

Was happy to see that when the master of ceremonies asked, during the briefing, if there were any new (to this) participants, four hands went up. Everyone seemed like experienced and safe gun handlers, just new to the flow of things in this sort of game. An experienced hand was nice enough to indulge the 50% noob population in our small squad.

Other than that: I'm not sure why the Wright Brothers bothered testing their flying machines at Kill Devil Hills when they could have enjoyed the steady 25 mph winds in Glengary. But on a positive note, my Beretta now has that tacticool sandblasted look :)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well congrats on trying out a new match! a lot of folks frankly just don't have the chutzpah to give the various shooting competitions a try. yes, very windy and chilly yesterday, i did the morning kahr match which was a lot of fun. already signed up for the may 4th kahr match!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    windy it was but that's ok. somebody said there may be a taco truck present during the 4 May match (unconfirmed rumor). I liked the skeleton wearing st paddy's day stuff on stage three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom