Need Rock Creek Hunt Club contact info, found deer stands.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    I bought 32 acres in Knoxville Maryland. The former owner leased the property to Rock Creek Hunt Club and was to cancel the contract. I removed their signs from the property and found a few tree stands that remain. I have no contact info for Rock Creek Hunt Club and can't find anything online.
    I will probably put a note on each stand stating that the property is under new ownership and to remove the stands immediately and state no hunting is allowed. At the end of season if not removed then I will remove them? If I had contact info I could call them and eliminate an confrontation during firearms season coming up rather than have someone show up while I'm trying to hunt.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If the club had a license to hunt the property, the seller should have called them to cancel it. You probably should have had that handled before settlement.
    The club paid for hunting rights and they will be a little bit upset to find the new owner isn't honoring the agreement for the rest of the season.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    As part of the real estate contract the seller was to cancel the contract prior to settlement. I have no evidence that this was done and would like to make sure it was. The seller has been of no help with contact information which raises suspiction.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    As part of the real estate contract the seller was to cancel the contract prior to settlement. I have no evidence that this was done and would like to make sure it was. The seller has been of no help with contact information which raises suspiction.

I'll bet he didn't do it. He would have had to give them a partial refund! Do you know when the lease ends? It might be best to honor it and then not renew for next year.

Maybe call your realtor and see if he can get to the bottom of it for you

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What makes you think it is this club and not just poachers?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Put up your own no trespassing signs. Don't forget about vertical blue stripes marking your boundaries.

Remove any existing tree stands at your convenience. I would not hunt them, unless you see the orange TMA (tree-stand manufacturers association) tags for safeties sake.

If you see any violators, call Johnny Law on them to make an example. The examples will spread the word.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I don't know how MD law handles this, but frequently agricultural leases are not affected by sale of the property.
    Before you start moving against someone who may still be your lessee, you should probably gather your paperwork and talk to a lawyer familiar with land leases.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    The seller did admit during negotiations that he understood he would have to cancel the lease and would have to give a partial refund. The stands and their signs did not disappear. I'd like to contact them directly to get their stuff. Rock Creek leases a lot of other property around here and I was hoping someone here would have contact information.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The seller should be able to give you their contact information then.

"Rock Creek" is to generic of a name.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here's a different angle. Could it be that the tree treestands in question might be old and not worth someone's trouble taking them down. If they're old rusted ladder stands or lock-ons that are obviously old and out of use(tree growing around them, etc), etc, maybe they just left them. Leave a little note or sign on the trees that hold them saying the property has changed hands and hunting is no longer permitted to them.

Brikhaus

Jun 7, 2013
    Western Marylandistan
    Here's a different angle. Could it be that the tree treestands in question might be old and not worth someone's trouble taking them down. If they're old rusted ladder stands or lock-ons that are obviously old and out of use(tree growing around them, etc), etc, maybe they just left them. Leave a little note or sign on the trees that hold them saying the property has changed hands and hunting is no longer permitted to them.

Most likely this^^^

But, if not, contact your real estate agent, have them reach out to the settlement attorney. He should be able to advise you about whether or not the lease was terminated, and if not, may be able to give you qualified legal advise. They often don't charge.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The seller did admit during negotiations that he understood he would have to cancel the lease and would have to give a partial refund. The stands and their signs did not disappear. I'd like to contact them directly to get their stuff. Rock Creek leases a lot of other property around here and I was hoping someone here would have contact information.

What I am saying is that if he didn't cancel the lease, you may still be bound to the terms of the lease. You would have a civil claim against him, but your relation with the club (your lessee) would not be affected.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    I contacted the agent to get contact information. It usually takes 1-2 weeks to hear back so I may put notes on each stand with contact information.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I would say that you are the new owner of that lease with the hunt club and the seller owes you the remaining balance on that contract depending on how that lease is written. If you are selling your house that you are renting out and the renter has a year lease you start collecting that rent until the lease is up, you can't just say I own this property you have to go.
    But like one of my fellow MDShooters has as there signature I am not a lawyer and don't pretend to be one so don't take this as legal advice.

BUT I DID STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LAST NIGHT!!!!!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I would say that you are the new owner of that lease with the hunt club and the seller owes you the remaining balance on that contract depending on how that lease is written. If you are selling your house that you are renting out and the renter has a year lease you start collecting that rent until the lease is up, you can't just say I own this property you have to go.
    But like one of my fellow MDShooters has as there signature I am not a lawyer and don't pretend to be one so don't take this as legal advice.

BUT I DID STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LAST NIGHT!!!!!

It's not exactly the same as a residential lease. Depending on the state (and of course how the lease is written), there are specific rules on leases for agricultural land. One common setup is that the tenant retains ownership of the crop and the right to tend to it and the lease expires the moment he harvests. So if the club has a hunting lease that says 'for the 2018/2019 season' it may not magically disappear just because title to the land has changed hands. It may go 'poof' with the sale, but I wouldn't bank on that.

Get a copy of whatever paperwork the seller executed with the hunt club before you start removing tree stands. If he doesn't deliver, start sending lawyer letters citing whatever parts of the purchase agreement for the land that apply to the lease issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom