• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I sent away the 10 bucks for the Ruger letter, knowing damned well it would only give me a month and year of manufacture. I was quite surprised when I got mine tonight and it tells me where it was shipped to as well. My previous Ruger letter for my Mini-14 did not have this information.

48377879_10161107948445585_976477758391582720_n.jpg

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Smith & Wesson and Colt have records going back to the 1800s and have never been digitized. It takes time for a person to go through handwritten ledgers to find the information...if it's still available or legible after so many years. Ruger, as a company, is a baby by comparison. It takes man-hours to do the work required which is necessary to come up with the information to do a letter.

I say good for Ruger for keeping the letter service cheap but nothing is free.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Found out some more. M&W Distributors was a subsidiary of Heck's, Inc. Heck's was a chain of discount department stores throughout West Virginia. This was likely sold at the sporting goods counter at a Heck's store.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Was there a form you had to fill out, or did you just send a letter asking for the info?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Was there a form you had to fill out, or did you just send a letter asking for the info?

There was a form. You have to print it out, fill it out, and send with a check for $10. Took about two-three weeks. The one I got for the Mini-14 a couple of years ago did not have where it shipped to. I was quite surprised to see it on this one.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This is good to know. My wife bought me a used convertible Blackhawk, 45 Colt/45 Auto the first Christmas we were married, 1984. I should send away for the info on it.

Rick

NRA Life Member
    Feb 25, 2016
    Eastern Shore
    Found out some more. M&W Distributors was a subsidiary of Heck's, Inc. Heck's was a chain of discount department stores throughout West Virginia. This was likely sold at the sporting goods counter at a Heck's store.

It was called Hecht's. I remember browsing their fireams section at the Prince Geroge's Plaza location (now called The Mall at Prince Georges) in the 1970s, although I never bought any firearms there. I don't remember, but I may have bought some ammo there at one time. I had forgotten about Hecht's until you brought this up.

hermyjoe

Feb 5, 2012
    riverdale md
    It was called Hecht's. I remember browsing their fireams section at the Prince Geroge's Plaza location (now called The Mall at Prince Georges) in the 1970s, although I never bought any firearms there. I don't remember, but I may have bought some ammo there at one time. I had forgotten about Hecht's until you brought this up.

I remember a hecks in Waynesburg pa when I was in high school (1980). also seem to remember a mcrorys in landover mall that sold guns (1987)

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Smith & Wesson and Colt have records going back to the 1800s and have never been digitized. It takes time for a person to go through handwritten ledgers to find the information...if it's still available or legible after so many years. Ruger, as a company, is a baby by comparison. It takes man-hours to do the work required which is necessary to come up with the information to do a letter.

I say good for Ruger for keeping the letter service cheap but nothing is free.

Ruger letters still require (primarily) locating paper invoices when responding to these requests. The letters cost the Company more than they bring in, but people seem to like them.

Joe, glad to see you are happy with your letter. I’ll be sure to pass that along.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    FWIW , the s/n by year for all Ruger firearms are available on their website .

Added - In addition to the Well known Hecht Co , there also WAS a Heck's . A chain of discount dept stores founded in Boone Co WV in 1959, closed in 1990 .

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

Hechts and Heck’s are different stores. I worked for Hechts in the 80s. Hechts was sold to Macy’s a number of years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

To pile on, Hecht Company was a clothing store at the Plaza at the time. During that time the only store selling guns and ammo was Herman's Sporting Goods (I think that was the correct wording of the name). Bought several guns and ammo there at the time myself.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Mine is a first year (1978) Mini 14. Sent my request today. Thanks for the tip.

FYI, the Mini-14 came out before 1978. Mine is from early 1977 and has the bicentennial rollmark on the side. Likely manufactured in '76 and shipped in '77.

(Edit- just checked, and the Mini-14 debuted in 1973)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom