• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I recently bought a 9mm Kel-Tec Sub2000 and my handloads seem to be keyholing/tumbling every couple rounds. The same handloads do great in all of my handguns. In my handguns the same handloads are achieving 2" groups @ 25 meters using a rest. My recipes for my handloads are:

124gr FMJ (Everglades Ammo)
    3.9gr of Titegroup
    1.145 C.O.L.
    moderate crimp

147gr plated (Everglades Ammo)
    3.3gr of Titegroup
    1.150 C.O.L.
    moderate crimp

I shot several rounds of the following ammo and the gun was dead nuts accurate:

115gr WWB
    124gr Federal FMJ
    135gr Hornady Critical Duty
    147gr Sig Sauer Elite performance V-Crown

My handloads cycle the gun just fine, however I have noticed that the brass is dirtier than normal coming out of the Sub2000.

Admittedly, I am new to reloading so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

DTG

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Bump up .5 grains on both recipes.

Everything else is in spec. Though your COAL is about .020 short, but that shouldn't have any affect on key holing.

Truth be told, some bores just hate some bullets. Try some Sierra, Hornady, and Speer bullets and see what happens.

My Browning .243 loves 100 grain Speer bullets with 1/2" groups at 100 yards. 100 grain Hornady and Sierra won't group worth a damn.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Isn't 1.169 C.O.L. the max length?

Yup.

And you're a bit shy. But, again, shouldn't have an affect on key holing.

And the fact that other bullets of the same weight work fine leads me to believe it's the Everglade bullets.

And try some Unique powder. A great powder for light charges.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    COAL looks okay to me. Going to MAX COAL can cause issues feeding.

Titegroup burns pretty hot, and is not very friendly to new reloaders. The pros swear by it though.

I am a fan of WSF, HP38, and W231 for starters.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Are there any little lines in the barrel that look kinda like this?

rifling_6R.gif

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I have been reloading less than a year but have reloaded well over 15,000 rounds so far. I have heard that Titegroup is a fast burning powder and have heard several times that it can be a dangerous powder for beginners due to the dangers of double charging.

I measured the following rounds. And they are considerably shorter than my handloads.

147gr Sig Sauer Elite Performance = 1.102 C.O.L.
    135gr Hornady Critical Duty = 1.114 C.O.L.

Could it be that my handloads are too long for the Sub2000? I don't have the rifle in front of me so I can't do a plunk test.

If my handloads are too long for the Sub2000 to chamber, and the heavy bolt of the Sub2000 is pushing the bullet farther into the case, would/could this cause the rounds to keyhole/tumble?

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Are there any little lines in the barrel that look kinda like this?

rifling_6R.gif

The Sub2000 uses traditional lands and grooves rifling. Unlike my H&K's or Walther PPQ which uses Polygonal rifling.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I don't understand your question.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have been reloading less than a year but have reloaded well over 15,000 rounds so far. I have heard that Titegroup is a fast burning powder and have heard several times that it can be a dangerous powder for beginners due to the dangers of double charging.

I measured the following rounds. And they are considerably shorter than my handloads.

147gr Sig Sauer Elite Performance = 1.102 C.O.L.
    135gr Hornady Critical Duty = 1.114 C.O.L.

Could it be that my handloads are too long for the Sub2000? I don't have the rifle in front of me so I can't do a plunk test.

If my handloads are too long for the Sub2000 to chamber, and the heavy bolt of the Sub2000 is pushing the bullet farther into the case, would/could this cause the rounds to keyhole/tumble?

Cool. Didn't know your experience level. Titegroup has a reputation of being smokey with some bullets too.

The plunk test sounds like a logical next choice.

The Lee factory crimp die solved some of my 9mm issues.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for your help. I am more than frustrated at this point.

I measured the diameter of the factory rounds and they both are .358. My handloads (everglades ammo) are .3575. Could the .0005 difference make a big difference in bullet stabilization?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Thanks for your help. I am more than frustrated at this point.

I measured the diameter of the factory rounds and they both are .358. My handloads (everglades ammo) are .3575. Could the .0005 difference make a big difference in bullet stabilization?

I highly doubt it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I recently bought a 9mm Kel-Tec Sub2000 and my handloads seem to be keyholing/tumbling every couple rounds. The same handloads do great in all of my handguns. In my handguns the same handloads are achieving 2" groups @ 25 meters using a rest. My recipes for my handloads are:

124gr FMJ (Everglades Ammo)
    3.9gr of Titegroup
    1.145 C.O.L.
    moderate crimp

147gr plated (Everglades Ammo)
    3.3gr of Titegroup
    1.150 C.O.L.
    moderate crimp

I shot several rounds of the following ammo and the gun was dead nuts accurate:

115gr WWB
    124gr Federal FMJ
    135gr Hornady Critical Duty
    147gr Sig Sauer Elite performance V-Crown

My handloads cycle the gun just fine, however I have noticed that the brass is dirtier than normal coming out of the Sub2000.

Admittedly, I am new to reloading so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

DTG
    124 gr berry plated at 4.0 tg runs about 1100 fps in my g34.
    If I go up .1 grain.. It would keyhole. But runs fine with my other guns.

You may need to do trial and error with the sub2k.

It could also be bullet issue like somebody mentioned.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    That was my guess.

Could it be that the bullet is being pushed back into the case, effectively ruining the crimp I put on the rounds? And by doing so there is basically no time for the internal pressure build up before the bullet is sent down the barrel.

If the above is true, would this 'possibly' explain the excessively dirty brass I am getting from my handloads. I know Titegroup is dirty, however the Sub2000 brass is a lot dirtier than any of my handgun brass.

Thanks for the feedback

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    124 gr berry plated at 4.0 tg runs about 1100 fps in my g34.
    If I go up .1 grain.. It would keyhole. But runs fine with my other guns.

You may need to do trial and error with the sub2k.

It could also be bullet issue like somebody mentioned.

Since plated should be loaded at lead laoding recipes, is it safe to assume that I need to load my 124gr FMJ a little hotter. I did try some 124gr loaded with 4.0gr Titegroup and they did a little better. Do you think I should do a ladder test starting with 4.0 ---> 4.4 in 0.1gr increases?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Since plated should be loaded at lead laoding recipes, is it safe to assume that I need to load my 124gr FMJ a little hotter. I did try some 124gr loaded with 4.0gr Titegroup and they did a little better. Do you think I should do a ladder test starting with 4.0 ---> 4.4 in 0.1gr increases?
    Try .05 steps.. Till you hit max loads.

Make batches 5 or 10 per steps.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Newbie to reloading too

My recipe is 4.4 tite group same coal no keyholing Glock 19 Gen 3

Never heard this about tite group not being newbie friendly. What I really like about this recipe it is the same for my Sistema 1927 , just move the lee powder dispenser between my two turrets:)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Newbie to reloading too

My recipe is 4.4 tite group same coal no keyholing Glock 19 Gen 3

Never heard this about tite group not being newbie friendly. What I really like about this recipe it is the same for my Sistema 1927 , just move the lee powder dispenser between my two turrets:)
    The only issue I've known was double charging.. It can happen if one is not paying attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom