• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cor4ever

Nov 24, 2014
    Do you guys know if it is illegal to clean your firearms in your backyard? I live in Montgomery County (Rockville) and would like to clean my rifles outside (more ventilation) instead of the basement where the fumes of the solvents spread all over the house.

I know the possibility exist of neighbors calling the cops on me but as long as it’s legal I have nothing to worry about, am I correct?

Thank you for your time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you guys know if it is illegal to clean your firearms in your backyard? I live in Montgomery County (Rockville) and would like to clean my rifles outside (more ventilation) instead of the basement where the fumes of the solvents spread all over the house.

I know the possibility exist of neighbors calling the cops on me but as long as it’s legal I have nothing to worry about, am I correct?

Thank you for your time.

I don't see how it would be illegal, even in MoCo. Having said that, why would you want your neighbors to see your guns. I personally don't even like carrying rifle cases from house to truck. How's about cleaning your guns before leaving the range?

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Legal yes, but there is the potential to be annoyed.

If you are really worried about it, then just clean individual parts outside.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I don't see how it would be illegal, even in MoCo. Having said that, why would you want your neighbors to see your guns. I personally don't even like carrying rifle cases from house to truck. How's about cleaning your guns before leaving the range?

Since it's MoCo, expect the hysterical nosy neighbors to SWAT you.

cor4ever

Nov 24, 2014
    Thank you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I will give it a try to see what happens. I do have a patio umbrella that can use to block the neighbors from seeing me, I think I will use that just to be on the safe side.

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    My son and I always clean the guns out on the deck and it's way up high so all the neighbors can see. You know everybody as been real polite lately!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom