• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drew316ant

Feb 22, 2011
    What's up guys .. I have been in the market for a new AK 47 and just wanted to share my experience with everyone and write a quick review about 2 A Sales in jessup. It's my first gun purchase so I didn't really know what to expect, except what I have read on these forums. I called a couple local stores to ask about the prices of some AK 47s and they had a few of them for around 8-9 hundred dollars ( Hungarian and vector models). I thought I could get a better deal online so I decided to buy a Polish milled 1960. I know a lot of people are against Century .. but all the reviews I have seen on this gun are good minus the non Chrome barrel. I called 2 A Sales to find out about the mdshooters discount for transferring guns at their store and the guy didn't believe I was a member and told me to message him from the site before he would believe me. Then I asked if he would transfer the gun for me and he said no because he can get that gun himself. I thought cool.. I don't have to worry about shipping and transfer fees. When I asked how much would it cost me he said well over 7 hundred ...wow.. the gun is only 580 online plus 40 to transfer and 20 to ship it makes it 640. Then he asked what site I was buying from and said that he doesn't do business with any discount gun website. Ok.... I then called the website and they gave me a whole list of shops in my area that have no problem doing business with them.... huh... It was a little disappointing to know that I guy who claims to want to help members of md shooters with a discount would try to get over on them so much. Oh well .. I'm new to the whole process so I guess I have to live and learn.

srholt18

Dec 3, 2009
    Jarrettsville, MD
    Ive done a couple transfers through them and they are great guys. They've done transfers for me on guns they've had in stock. I cant comment on your specific experience, but you may want to give them another shot before you decide not to deal with them.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I think a lot of new people do not realize that most of the prices they see in Shotgun News and on a lot of the web sites are wholesale prices.
    You don't really think a real gun shop is going to sell you an AK for what they pay for it, do you?

drew316ant

Feb 22, 2011
    I guess as long as you buy guns from their stock or their distributors your fine because they make a good amount of money off you. If you want to save money and buy from a website .. this store is a no go

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Do you have another username? If they asked you for proof of being a member of MDshooters when you asked them for a discount, you can't expect them to give you the discount when this is your very first posting.

My experience with 2A sales and service was great. I've done gunbroker transfers, which you would think is more complicated than a discount gun website. I also had Mark order me a gun.

I wish you would have posted this in the 2A Sales section...it would be intereting to see their response to you.

I'm just a little skeptical about your post since you're basically hiding behind one posting.

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    2A is a great shop and I have done a ton of business with them. They have some of the best prices in town and always willing to work with their customers.

It looks like your first post was the review here. How were you a member before that? If if you were not, it sounds like he wanted you to join the site before he gave a discount. Nothing wrong with that!

So you would have saved around $100??? The local shops provide more then just the product. The guys behind the counter answer your questions, let you fondle their toys, assist you with returns or warranty info and much more. To me, that is worth the couple of extra bucks. Plus you are supporting a local shop.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I guess as long as you buy guns from their stock or their distributors your fine because they make a good amount of money off you. If you want to save money and buy from a website .. this store is a no go

Well, all I have ever heard about 2A is good stuff, so I'm afraid you are dead wrong.

drew316ant

Feb 22, 2011
    You think new gun owners don't realize how the average store operates......ok. This store had a chance to make money for just filling out some papers to transfer a gun but it wasn't enough money so he declined. That's what happened.

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    Other than them failing to put in my MSP paperwork for 3-4 days after I filled it out, I had a good transaction with their shop.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    There are ffls listed on gunbroker you can look up by zipcode that do only transfers. If you can find the gun you want on there that should help. You definately do no want to overpay for an AK.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I know it's always great to get a cheap price. You'll soon learn though that price is not everything.

1. When you buy that discount AK online, what happens when it doesn't work right? Who are you going to send it too? Who will help you? Discount AK's are reassembled cold war surplus, that often often often have problems and shotty workmanship.
    2. Part of Mark's job is to make sure you get a good gun. He's not going to sell you a piece of $%@^. That takes time, time is money. Mark doesn't deal with bottom of the barrel guns. It's not worth his time or effort for the amount of trouble they cause.
    3. Mark doesn't: work hard, rent an office space, deal with a crazy woman in the office next door, spend hours there everyday answering questions, and take calls from idiots all out of the kindness of his heart. He's there to make a living, thats what capitalisim is all about, and it's what running a business is for.

-Jim

jerielg

Old Guy
    Jan 10, 2010
    Paw Paw, WV
    I've done a bunch of business with 2A in the past year. I've bought things off the shelf, had Mark order guns for me and had them do transfers. Your experience doesn't come close to mine. I've always found Mark to be very welcoming when I come into the store. His customer service is excellent and he stands behind what he sells. 2A is the first place I go to when I'm looking for a new acquisition.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I know it's always great to get a cheap price. You'll soon learn though that price is not everything.

1. When you buy that discount AK online, what happens when it doesn't work right? Who are you going to send it too? Who will help you? Discount AK's are reassembled cold war surplus, that often often often have problems and shotty workmanship.
    -Jim

They will send it back to the manufacturer if it has problems (century) I assume. Does 2a offer a warranty of their own? That might make it worth it to pay more

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

I'll say this. The discount websites are putting local stores out of business. What will happen when all the stores go out of business? You wont be able to buy anything. There are stores out there that wont transfer in anything because they feel it is a hassle and they make little for it.

Now put yourself in their shoes. You have a business and someone comes in and says "hey I want to buy product x". They have it on the shelf for slightly more. You say "yeah but I can get cheaper from this discount store on the internet." You wont keep your business open selling all your product at cost, will you?

Now let me also point out that no retailers do price adjustment on discount or wholesale stores prices.

My last point is that if you have a price in mind and you don't like theirs why don't you try to negotiate and see if they can meet you in the middle somewhere. Also you shouldn't get pissed at store policies. They have them for a reason, so they can stay in business.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    You just bought a century rifle that you did not see in person. That is risky, and if there is a problem with it good luck going through an online dealer or century. By the way Mark at 2A has been awesome with my MG transfer and charges very reasonable rates for it.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Chad used cai aks for the draco build And said he was rejecting at least 60% of the guns sent to him For issues like canted sights.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I'll say this. The discount websites are putting local stores out of business. What will happen when all the stores go out of business? You wont be able to buy anything. There are stores out there that wont transfer in anything because they feel it is a hassle and they make little for it.

Now put yourself in their shoes. You have a business and someone comes in and says "hey I want to buy product x". They have it on the shelf for slightly more. You say "yeah but I can get cheaper from this discount store on the internet." You wont keep your business open selling all your product at cost, will you?

Now let me also point out that no retailers do price adjustment on discount or wholesale stores prices.

My last point is that if you have a price in mind and you don't like theirs why don't you try to negotiate and see if they can meet you in the middle somewhere. Also you shouldn't get pissed at store policies. They have them for a reason, so they can stay in business.

OMG...how do you answer something like this? I'll try, once all the local stores go out of business then all discount gun website transfers will have to go through a FFL that doesn't have a local store, and once they all go out of business then all discount website business will stop, until another local store opens or FFL without a local shop conducts business again. :D

I like to touch what I buy so 10-15% extra doesn't bother me. Otherwise, I usually go for the best deal. The nice thing about a local shop is that they keep items in stock so you can touch them and not do a deal sight unseen. 2A Sales and Service doesn't have a lot of stock yet, but what they do carry is priced excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom