• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    As a bonus, police trade-in Glock 22's are really cheap right now. And a 9mm barrel swap is easy.

Carried a g22 for my last job. (Not le) Got used to it. We got a lot of range time and training. Not sure if I liked it but didn’t dislike it. It seemed a good fit and comfortable for our purposes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most 180gr 40 cal loads are well within subsonic velocities with less pressure and powder volume than heavy 9mm loads, with similar recoil, and they are efficient from short barrels. Most of the "snappy" recoiling loads are 135-165gr, which I've rarely ever used. The main benefit of 9mm over 40 for me has primarily been cost and capacity, but now with a lot of brands of 40 priced the same as 9mm, there really isn't a cost difference, and most of my 40s are within 1 or 2 rounds of a 9mm variant. Of course USPSA rules being what they are, 40 isn't going to die, especially with the cost of guns and ammo in 40 falling through the floor.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    FBI opinines on the rds but i read a study where its agents are not involved in many shootings. Maybe others know otherwise? Cost of the rd, cost of mainteneance, replacement and repair, difficulty to qualify also enter into the mix. I have 2 40 s and both are 20 yrs old. A 27 and a BHP. The 27 is not a “ range gun” and the BHP is a fine range gun. Stats on the 40 are decent, but if you want more for self def get a .357 sig or mag. Seems like all the gun writters are pounding the keys to preach the attributes of the 9 over the 40, but if the purpose is self defense there are some good values in 40. And if the purpose is a happy day at the range, i would probably shoot something else. A 9, a 38 even a 45. I have a 45 shield that is more comfortable to shoot than the 27, but i have a G33 that is more comfortable than the 27.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A G20 is already a 10mm, right out of the factory...

I realize that, had one. I was thinking more along the line of other make pistols. Plus with the lower $$ amount on a 40....

Some of the pistols like 5900 series Smiths may not take the 10mm length cartridge in the grip frame so would not be a candidate. A 40 1911 is a ream, spring tune and, if desired, a flat bottom firing pin stop.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I have a 45 shield that is more comfortable to shoot than the 27, but i have a G33 that is more comfortable than the 27.

Love my .45 Shield. Nothing else to add to this conversation.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Is anyone buying 40 caliber anymore?

I am. I'm currently looking at either a Glock 22/23 or a M&P 40. Glock has more options for parts and barrels but I already have a M&P in 9mm and I like the grip and size of it. Even though I'm buying 9mm often so I have it and I have everything to reload it, I want options should it become scarce. Both let me buy drop in barrels for .357 Sig so I can shoot whatever is easier to find or cheaper.

I wasn't a gun owner last time there were ammo shortages, but I did see on Reddit where people were having a hard time finding 9mm and 45. They could easily find 40 but most of them didn't have anything that could shoot it so it didn't help them. That is enough for me to justify buying one even if it's not something I take to the range every time I go.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Just as an observation, I have noticed out at the range that women and many men without lots of experience shooting shoot noticeably better with 9mm. I teach NRA Basic Pistol, and help with HQL qualification as well as other similar classes. I can see why law enforcement, with increasing numbers of women out at the front lines might go back to 9mm. It's seems easier for the *average* woman to qualify with the 9mm. There are women who are awesome shooters with 9mm, .40, .45, Barret .50 cal pocket Deringers, etc... but they, at least from what I have seen, are the exception rather than the rule.

I'm fine with .40, but compete with 9mm with 115 grain kinda low power rounds for IDPA type rapid fire sequences. I do *ok* with .40, but 9mm is less sharp of a recoil in my hands and follow up shots are easier.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The G27 is more than recoil. Its a sharp sensation transmitted thru the gun and at some pt my trigger finger sharply hurts. That may be a glock issue. Not so in the heavy 40 BHP. As to maxvo2,s observation, i will teach a woman to shoot ( and i am sure this would apply to a man equally) who has not fired a handgun. These are always friends. I bring a sw target revolver .22, a full sized 9 m service pistol, like a sig 226, and a full size .45, usually a sig 220. The .22 is quickly grouping in the right spot, followed by the 9mm. If they can shoot the 22 they can shoot the 9. For some i will offer the 45. I think a 40 would ruin a new shooter where none of the above would.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The bloom is off the .40 caliber rose. Not that it's a bad round by any means. Since the FBI went back to the 9mm based upon its conclusions that bullet technology has improved to the point they consider it functionally equal to the .40...

This is the one I don't get.

If bullet technology is so much better, then the .40 would be even better than it was, and still better than 9mm.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This is the one I don't get.

If bullet technology is so much better, then the .40 would be even better than it was, and still better than 9mm.

That was the FBI’s rationale but bullet performance wasn’t the sole reason...there’s always competing priorities of which performance is one. There’s recoil manageability for all agents, cost, capacity, etc. The FBI factored all those plus their perceived needs and the 9mm was settled on.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Eh, my 1911 shoots fine enough to muddle me through USPSA at a C level. I really need to up my game and try for Master. I think my new STI is going to help that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I never was a fan of the .40 from the start . Lots of historical stories, but I considered a compromise to fill a non-existant void .

That said , the .40 turned out to exceede my initial expectations, and is perfectly viable . The initial instant popularity was driven by advertising and " me too - ism " , just like 9mm has right now . I predict an eventual balancing back to the middle .

FWIW , I don't have any .40 pistols per se, but a conversion bbl for a 10mm, and a Hi Point carbine in .40 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom