• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Although I have never owned an M1A, I have heard EXACTLY the same sentiment from those that have shot M1A's competitively; and from multiple sources.
    I own one. All of this stuff is well-known, it's just that you have the nostalgia crowd that's pushing the gun as amazing with zero clue. I'd love to see someone take their M14 Scout or SOCOM to a carbine class and see how well it compared to an AR-15 or any other good modern rifle; you'd discover the answer is "not well".

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have shot the M1A in competition. You can match condition the M1A to achieve better results on target. You can build a match AR15 too. So what? The M1A is simply the civilian version of a battle rifle as is the AR15 in it's various forms. Is one easier for the majority of people to shoot accurately, absolutely and that nod goes to the AR with it's lower recoil. However, the M1A was the service rifle for 1000 yds until just recently when the AMU was able to get the bugs out of their M110 style rifles. The issues some mention about having with their M1A's are due to inferior commercially made parts, not USGI. The AR platform also suffers from inferior parts from time to time, just ask Clandestine, he fixes them. My first 10 point LEG was with an M1A that had been accurized. The last two 10 pointers were with an AR that had also been accurized. Either platform was capable of winning. The AR was simply cheaper to shoot. Instead of shooting close up with a rifle/carbine, try shooting at distance. You just might be surprised!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have shot the M1A in competition. You can match condition the M1A to achieve better results on target. You can build a match AR15 too. So what? The M1A is simply the civilian version of a battle rifle as is the AR15 in it's various forms. Is one easier for the majority of people to shoot accurately, absolutely and that nod goes to the AR with it's lower recoil. However, the M1A was the service rifle for 1000 yds until just recently when the AMU was able to get the bugs out of their M110 style rifles. The issues some mention about having with their M1A's are due to inferior commercially made parts, not USGI. The AR platform also suffers from inferior parts from time to time, just ask Clandestine, he fixes them. My first 10 point LEG was with an M1A that had been accurized. The last two 10 pointers were with an AR that had also been accurized. Either platform was capable of winning. The AR was simply cheaper to shoot. Instead of shooting close up with a rifle/carbine, try shooting at distance. You just might be surprised!

How much more is it to accurize a M1A, compared to an AR-15 or AR-10? I ask, because I can build a accurate AR for less than 2k out the door, whereas the price point of a M1A starts at 1400 and goes up from there, before starting the accurizing process.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    How much more is it to accurize a M1A, compared to an AR-15 or AR-10? I ask, because I can build a accurate AR for less than 2k out the door, whereas the price point of a M1A starts at 1400 and goes up from there, before starting the accurizing process.

I never had more than $1800 in any of my M1A's, even the double lug ones with Kreiger barrel and McMillan stock. It has been a while though and I'm sure that the cost will be higher now. Still, if you shop diligently, I believe a good match grade M1A can be built for around $2500 even with top end components. Are you including the cost of sights in the price of your AR build? The match sights on my competition AR match rifles cost around a grand and that is with the old pricing. Warner rear sights, if you can find a used one for sale, are definitely not cheap. I have seen them sell for as much as $700 used! That is just for the sight alone, without rear iris. Of course the pinned rear sight option for service rifle is a lot less than that.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I’d never talk anyone out of any rifle. Not everyone wants another AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...it sounds like some folks are legitimately trying to talk him out of buying a new gun :wtf:
    What's wrong with our supposed enablers? That's really poor MDS etiquette:sad20:

My points for talking him out :sarcasm: of it were going to be:
    1) It does not please the crown for Baron Von Frosh's subjects to own M1A's:nono:, so you should continue to show your support by not owning one. Be a good, loyal follower:bowdown:

2) Nobody likes showing off their guns. Having an M1A on the range gets noticed and asked about more often than not. Who wants to constantly hear how cool their rifle is :rolleyes: Stick with the black rifles...as long as they aren't suppressed or full auto, nobody will pay them any mind.;)

3) You've got the rest of your life to buy one. No way that legislation or interpretation would ever be amended to ban this version of it.:tap:

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Yeah...it sounds like some folks are legitimately trying to talk him out of buying a new gun :wtf:

What's wrong with our supposed enablers? That's really poor MDS etiquette:sad20:

1) It does not please the crown for Baron Von Frosh's subjects to own M1A's:nono:, so you should continue to show your support by not owning one. Be a good, loyal follower:bowdown:

2) Nobody likes showing off their guns. Having an M1A on the range gets noticed and asked about more often than not. Who wants to constantly hear how cool their rifle is :rolleyes: Stick with the black rifles...as long as they aren't suppressed or full auto, nobody will pay them any mind.;)

3) You've got the rest of your life to buy one. No way that legislation or interpretation would ever be amended to ban this version of it.:tap:

That is some good stuff right there !! By the way I also own a old piece of junk double lug M1A
    Mic Millian stock Kriger barrel match rifle.
    Good stuff !! Funny as hell

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I absolutely love mine, but in all fairness I was in the 3rd Infantry ( The Old Guard) and carried an M-14 so it was somewhat nostalgic as well. Let the haters hate buy what you want man.

Attachments

• D2F00183-6505-4630-8467-F9E4D7C67271.jpg
      D2F00183-6505-4630-8467-F9E4D7C67271.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 288

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

Yep you do get some for sure got an older one with a Leatherwood ART 3x9 Scope back in the days,or show up with a M1A they ask SA rifle you say nope
    a "Devine" one, Lou from here "borrowed it and shot it" ..asked if I'd sell it....

That is some good stuff right there !! By the way I also own a old piece of junk double lug M1A
    Mic Millian stock Kriger barrel match rifle.

Good stuff !! Funny as hell

guess I too have a "junk one" back in the late 70's very early 80's
    you could get a full all out match M1A for about $800, Standard's for
    about $400-$450 range. Then a "match" one setup that the Colonel
    at Linganore range managed to get for me a long time ago..fired it in
    HP matches years ago using "Mexican match ammo" a "sweet rifle"
    may not look like much but shoots damn good...

But like ..you want it buy it ...it's your $$$

-Rock

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    DetectiveW, Save your money and get a K43/G43 and install an Apfeltor shooter's kit. "Hitler's Garand"
    Only a Johnson or Trapdoor will get more attention. Even a FAL doesn't get this much attention.
    AR? Nobody notices, not cool.
    6.5 Creedmore? 7.92 S.s. Patrone with 200 grain FMJBT is a Man's cartridge, not a fad.
    Actually, I understand the appeal.
    Are you competing or shooting for fun?
    I have a double lug Fulton M14SA and a Springfield M1a I built from parts. They are fun. They have wood that warms to the touch. No plastic, no aluminum. They go "ching!" when you close the bolt. They served for HP as did my 308 M1. My AR15A2 NM got me higher scores. But the 14s have some charisma.
    Get what floats your boat. No one else is paying for it and you're the one who's going to shoot it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I never had more than $1800 in any of my M1A's, even the double lug ones with Kreiger barrel and McMillan stock. It has been a while though and I'm sure that the cost will be higher now. Still, if you shop diligently, I believe a good match grade M1A can be built for around $2500 even with top end components. Are you including the cost of sights in the price of your AR build? The match sights on my competition AR match rifles cost around a grand and that is with the old pricing. Warner rear sights, if you can find a used one for sale, are definitely not cheap. I have seen them sell for as much as $700 used! That is just for the sight alone, without rear iris. Of course the pinned rear sight option for service rifle is a lot less than that.
    So 3500 +/- including the purchase price of the stock rifle? I can build a good AR-10 with optic for less than your M1A and optic.

I recently built a Aero M5 that is sub-moa capable for 2k and that price includes the sling, optic, optic mount, and Pelican case.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I read Dist1646's post as $2500 including the starting rifle/ donor components , but hopefully Dist can clarify that for us .

I will observe that people with positive experiences with actual Match grade M1A/ M14 tend to REALLY like them .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ive always lusted after an M1A but since leaving the state is not a possibility any time soon and finding a shady gun dealer would put me in the hotel fed for a bit, is a 6.5 worth it? Anyone bought one? Im not the biggest fan of the stainless and the plain synthetic stock but if i want to scratch the itch its my only option. Is it a decent one?

I actually bought one and got a kick out of it for a few weeks. It's a cheap recent offering that came with the black plastic stock so I put some wood on it.

After I shot it a bunch I needed to tighten up the castle nut a bit to tighten up with the factory irons. Somewhere along that time line I lost the web sling and replaced it with a 1907.

Once I got over that and to keep interest I put a scope on it. It became even more boring once that part of the fun was over so now the whole rig just sits in the back of the vault.

Ill probably take the scope and mount off it and keep shooting it saving the brass to reload for it but not before shooting it off a bench one day which I haven't done yet.

Its a big heavy rifle with a medium profile barrel. Stock ergo is a little different vs a Garand and with the suppressor I can tell handling is a little different after a mag swap out front. Recoil is nil so follow through and repeatability is good for the shooting I've done with it so far, I cant complain so far for what it is but should have owned one years ago when I was piling up other types of rifles.

I would suggest getting my hands on one and shooting it to see if you like it. For me its like a semi M17 compared to other types of rifles I generally like to use for its length and heft.

I also have a Wyndham in 308 for hunting with a fixed stock I put on it. It's probably a junker too but pretty easy to get hits with it for its purpose. What I do not like about it vs the m1a is that its top heavy with the mass of its bcg so it never shot as well for me when flat on the grass.

Neither of them are hard to find so I'm not worrying to much about comparing them to one another for what I use them for.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    This is my opinion and my opinion only. If you can afford it get it. Just know what you are getting yourself into. I'm a history buff, I love a lot of old military rifles. The M1A/M-14 to me has a unique look, there is a lot of history behind it. Recently I think (so please double check) MSP approved Springfield Armory's M1A 6.5 Creedmore. I personally would have to put furniture on it, I just love that wood grain. We tinker with are AR's so get one a tinker away. Just know what your getting into.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    So 3500 +/- including the purchase price of the stock rifle? I can build a good AR-10 with optic for less than your M1A and optic.

I recently built a Aero M5 that is sub-moa capable for 2k and that price includes the sling, optic, optic mount, and Pelican case.

That is $2500 for the complete gun. I am being generous on how much it would actually cost since my last full out match build cost me a total of $1800 +/- a dollar or two. Optics are a different matter and if one is so inclined, they can spend more than a couple of good match rifle builds cost for just one optic. My cost comparison is based on what it cost to build an AR match rifle with match sights. IE, irons vs irons.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    That is $2500 for the complete gun. I am being generous on how much it would actually cost since my last full out match build cost me a total of $1800 +/- a dollar or two. Optics are a different matter and if one is so inclined, they can spend more than a couple of good match rifle builds cost for just one optic. My cost comparison is based on what it cost to build an AR match rifle with match sights. IE, irons vs irons.

yes sir S&B glass on a TRG42 338LM glass more than rifle..
    buy once, cry a whole lot..

-Rock

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    My philosophy is....if you want one, get one.
    You'll always have someone to tell you that you could have gotten better for less.
    Guns, cars, wives......

Had one of my .308's converted by Fulton Armory, unfortunately, haven't shot it yet so I can't vouch for performance one way or another.

Tossed one of my Wilson's into the pic so someone can tell me that I could have had a "better" Dan Wesson for less than half the price.
    :D

FIo48NM.jpg

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Go to youtube and check out the Gun Collector's video on .308 and 6.5 Creedmore M1A rifle shooting. It is interesting, they did not like either rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom