• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Its warming in Washington county but not here that I can tell. Saw a fork horn bothering some does and moving them a bit. not chasing, just amorous. Two does even got on hind legs sparing. So the does are getting a bit of juices moving. We haven't seen the big bucks yet.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Its warming in Washington county but not here that I can tell. Saw a fork horn bothering some does and moving them a bit. not chasing, just amorous. Two does even got on hind legs sparing. So the does are getting a bit of juices moving. We haven't seen the big bucks yet.

All I need is the rut to hold off on starting for 2 weeks, so it will be in swing during rifle season in WV.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I will be taking my grand son out for the Youth Hunt.I went to the stand today to clear the path of thorn bushes and downed branches.The tree spouted a few branches that would be in the way.,so I climbed up and was clearing those when a doe went bounding away..She had her tail tucked,so I dont think she winded or saw me.

I watched for a minute and didnt see any other deer.I climbed down and started walking out through the path that I had cleared.I went about twenty yards when ,what looked like a 2 1/2 year 8 point,took off towards where the doe went......Im sure he had love on his mind.

PS.....this happened right about noon.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    The big boys are chasing hard. Had multiple groups chasing, cruising and grunting. Too bad work gets in the way of hunting...

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Saw six 6 point or better bucks at 4 pm cruising yesterday-only one got in range of my bow. Beautiful 8 point >200lbs. I wish I could get out again before the weekend!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Walking in to the woods yesterday morning, I caught wind of estrus, looked up, and there was a doe staring at me from 30 yards away. They're already in heat!

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Watched a 6 or 8 pt make a scrap at a field edge and was with a doe sat evening. Neck was all swollen, but couldn't get him to come any closer with some grunting.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The rut is full tilt in Nebraska. Today there were 7 bucks hanging at the local deer camp. No telling how many were shot by residents.

Going out early tomorrow but I have to go to my niece's volleyball game in the afternoon. She's playing in the Nebraska State Tournament and has a good chance to win it with her team!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Pics of 2 of the bucks today (The guys said they were from the Baton Rouge, La. area):

Attachments

• IM002676.jpg
      IM002676.jpg
      89.8 KB · Views: 330
    Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Moar pix (Can't get them to rotate but you can copy them and rotate them yourself):

Attachments

• IM002677.jpg
      IM002677.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 330
    • IM002678.jpg
      IM002678.jpg
      126.5 KB · Views: 325
    Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    No new bucks yesterday. It just got really cold the night before they got all these bucks so maybe it's just still Pre-Rut. I'll check again in a few minutes.

I'm targeting 2 monster bucks so I can take my time but these guys are from out-of-state and paid a lot of money so they took the first bucks they saw.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    2 bucks today. A couple of 8 pointers. Nothing huge. A 6 pointer was hit by a car right outside of town.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Not personally convinced that the rut has actually started in the NE Nebraska area that I hunt.

The bucks that were harvested this week may have been just because of the frigid temps that arrived with the current cold front.

I'm hoping that the rut is beginning right now.

Today I sat in a ground blind for several hours and froze my @$$ off. Only saw one small doe that was spooked by a truck driving by. I heard a large amount of shots nearby but doubt that bucks were the targets.

PS: Why is the forum software making pics appear sideways?

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Watched several big bucks chasing does this weekend. Finally got one close enough to shoot this morning. Posted picture of him in the bambi whacking thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom