• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Vista Outdoors who owns Savage and Stevens firearms along with notable companies such as Camelback and Bell bicycle helmets has decided to get out of the firearms manufacturing business. http://kutv.com/news/local/utah-company-becomes-latest-to-get-out-of-the-gun-business

REI, which has retail storefronts in Maryland put pressure on Vista like only a bully can do (REI statement here: https://newsroom.rei.com/company-information/statements/rei-statement-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm) and it appears Vista has folded under pressure.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Sounds like they will sell off these brands:

The company plans to explore strategic options for assets that fall outside of these product categories, including its remaining Sports Protection brands (e.g. Bell, Giro, and Blackburn), Jimmy Styks paddle boards, and Savage and Stevens firearms. Vista Outdoor expects that the execution of this process will significantly reduce the company's leverage, improve financial flexibility and the efficiency of its capital structure, and provide additional resources to reinvest in core product categories, both organically and through acquisition.

They claim they are excited about their current and future ammunition sales.

Vista Outdoor is excited about the potential of each of our core businesses, particularly ammunition, which is our largest core business." said Metz. "An increased focus on our heritage ammunition business will manifest itself in more innovative and breakthrough new products introduced over the next few years. We also anticipate that by prioritizing this business, we will be able to invest more capital to further enhance and expand our global leadership position."

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Personally I doubt ATK gives two shits about REI or Dicks. They might be looking at the long term outlook of Savage and Stevens after this latest rush is over. It's all about the money with a huge corporation like that. Savage is a great company though. I hope someone decent gets them.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Vista Outdoors caved.

REI statement on relationship with Vista Outdoor

REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month. In the last few days, we’ve seen such action from companies like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership.

This week, we have been in active discussions with Vista Outdoor, which has recently acquired several companies that are longtime partners of REI. These include Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn. Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including “modern sporting rifles.”

This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I think this is the start of real gun control, economic gun control. Between the banks and retailers it’s going to put a lot of pressure on gun companies. Next will be insurance and marketing companies refusing to do business with them.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I think this is the start of real gun control, economic gun control. Between the banks and retailers it’s going to put a lot of pressure on gun companies. Next will be insurance and marketing companies refusing to do business with them.

The Free Market. Some players have a lot of muscle for sure.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    This might be a good thing long term if it gets “bystanders” out of the firearms business. Maybe if it’s folks who realize their bread and butter comes from firearms and that’s all they do, maybe then they wouldn't be so nonchalant about punting firearms when the going gets a little tough.....sort of like LGSs vs. Dicks, etc. on the retail side.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Last edited:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    REI misses me and wants me to take a survey. I replied to their email.

There is no gun law that will stop the hell that criminals partake. I stand with America and every single Constitutional Right. Every one! You have joined Dick's in this fell-good anti-gun nonsense. Not to worry about my dollar, when scores of mindless snowflakes, who refuse to see the tyranny, will blindlessly support you.

Seeya, don't wanna beya.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Not surprised that they'll stay in the ammo biz. They sell boatloads to the government, and the DoD budget is doing a lot better these days.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    REI = JOKE

REI, an importer of hundreds of millions of dollars of items manufactured in countries with neo-mercantile governments known for egregious human rights records up to and including genocide, wide-scale suppression of speech, voting, assembly and others, plus horrific slavery like conditions in their state owned or controlled factories, and wide scale government supported destruction of the environment, is now deciding to try to foist their flawed morals and ethics upon the rest of us. No thanks, REI. You won't find any of my wages spent with you in the future. I encourage others to spend their money elsewhere, too.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Hopefully that wasn't it exactly, otherwise they might laugh at the typo :o

What? Are you for fell-good laws? :lol2:

I edit and proofread all the time and I can only blame a brain that hates me. I just don’t see the mistakes. It’s dyslexia, HDAD, or some learning disorder. I’ve managed to stumble through life and retire. Make fun...I don’t care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom