• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    So I'm doing an SPR build with a Black Hole Weaponry barrel and an Aero enhanced upper. I've got a PSA Premium BCG on hand. Is there any accuracy advantage to going with a better BCG from a better known maker? Like say an Aero nitride BCG?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    So I'm doing an SPR build with a Black Hole Weaponry barrel and an Aero enhanced upper. I've got a PSA Premium BCG on hand. Is there any accuracy advantage to going with a better BCG from a better known maker? Like say an Aero nitride BCG?

I’m by no means an AR-15 Guru but to answer your question more directly I don’t think there is any accuracy advantage to getting a different BCG.

The Nitride coating will increase the surface hardness of the parts it should not have any impact on the accuracy. The dimensional tolerances of the bolt/lugs and fit to the barrel breech will determine headspace and could have some impact on accuracy/repeatability. All other wear and tolerances related to the BCG would more likely impact long term mechanical reliability, not necessary accuracy.

If you haven’t already upgraded the trigger I think you’ll get more accuracy per dollar spent there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you are looking for accuracy on an AR15 using 5.56/.223, your best bet would be to invest in a high quality 20" barrel with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate. Outside of that, not much can be done on an AR15 to maximize accuracy IMHO.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Lapping the upper makes a world of difference with a good barrel, as does bedding the barrel into the upper. I have a lapping tool and almost every other tool you could need, if you want to slide over and do the build at my place.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If you are looking for accuracy on an AR15 using 5.56/.223, your best bet would be to invest in a high quality 20" barrel with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate. Outside of that, not much can be done on an AR15 to maximize accuracy IMHO.

BHW makes damn good barrels for the buck. Lapping the upper and bedding the barrel into the upper make a difference on accuracy, especially if the barrel is floated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Like many here are getting at, though a good quality BCG is essential for a happy gun(Carpenter steel MPI tested bolt, chrome lined carrier and gas key, etc), it takes a lot more to get that gun shooting to its maximum capabilities. Start at the ground and work your way up.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Have no worries on your barrel choice. I have guite a few BHW barrels and they all shoot great. As other posters replied about bcg you'll be gtg. Just and a good trigger and have at it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lapping the upper makes a world of difference with a good barrel, as does bedding the barrel into the upper. I have a lapping tool and almost every other tool you could need, if you want to slide over and do the build at my place.

Thanks for the offer. I agree about lapping most uppers. The Aero Enhanced upper is a bit different.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-m4e1-enhanced-upper-receiver.html

The face where the barrel seats is recessed inside the big mounting lug for the free float tube. Aero says further lapping is not necessary for this model.

Bedding the barrel extension is also on my list for this build.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

That's not really true though. Longer means more velocity, not necessarily more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom