A “Good Guy with a Gun” May have forced the issue on actually making our schools safe

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSBartender

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 12, 2016
    Waldorf
    https://articles.syracuse.com/us-ne...nd_school_shooting_officer_blaine_gaskill.amp

Though the school shooting yesterday was a tragedy hopefully the swift resolution and limited loss of life due to the armed response by the school resource officer will force the MD Legislature to approve the Governor’s $125 Million dollar request to harden our schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You're hoping that logic and rational thought will apply. We're dealing with liberals so don't get your hopes up.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Why isn't anyone considering the Special Police laws we have on the books already? Each school system could create their own police force working out of the Safety and Security supervisory they already have. The counties could set their own training guidelines, partner with the local law enforcement agencies, and even offer teachers a lateral move to insure at least some of them understood the education system and school climates. Heck, teachers that moved laterally to the new "School Special Police" could even be used in a teaching capacity if needed.

This is something that could be done quickly, be cost effective, and truly make schools safer.......... It'll never happen.......

TD

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Why isn't anyone considering the Special Police laws we have on the books already? Each school system could create their own police force working out of the Safety and Security supervisory they already have. The counties could set their own training guidelines, partner with the local law enforcement agencies, and even offer teachers a lateral move to insure at least some of them understood the education system and school climates. Heck, teachers that moved laterally to the new "School Special Police" could even be used in a teaching capacity if needed.

This is something that could be done quickly, be cost effective, and truly make schools safer.......... It'll never happen.......

TD

Unles they are like Baltimore City, which has it's own school police, but does NOT allow them to carry their firearms on school property.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Unles they are like Baltimore City, which has it's own school police, but does NOT allow them to carry their firearms on school property.

^ This. My daughter is super-close to her high school LEO, he has a gun but has to keep it locked away in his office at all times. He is basically unarmed unless he's in his office when a shooting event starts. And he's never in his office.

I would love it if Annapolis looked at what happened yesterday and said "thank God there was a good guy with a gun". But all they see/hear is that two people got shot and therefore guns are bad.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ^ This. My daughter is super-close to her high school LEO, he has a gun but has to keep it locked away in his office at all times. He is basically unarmed unless he's in his office when a shooting event starts. And he's never in his office.

I would love it if Annapolis looked at what happened yesterday and said "thank God there was a good guy with a gun". But all they see/hear is that two people got shot and therefore guns are bad.

Probably won’t happen. I saw the messaging from MD Mom’s against gun violence or whatever the hell their name is. Basically it was “contact the governor and house speaker. Tell them not to arm teachers. The right is going to use the fact that a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun as an excuse!!!”

Uhhhh...I think that is called a fact. Not an excuse.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The presence of LEO at city schools already keeps them relatively safe. The city schools might not have the same social complexity that rural and suburban mostly white schools have. By that I'm thinking kids on psyhic drugs. I'm just looking at the history of true school mass murders.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ...hopefully the swift resolution and limited loss of life due to the armed response by the school resource officer will force the MD Legislature to approve the Governor’s $125 Million dollar request to harden our schools.

....and hopefully, I'll hit the lotto jackpot for 100 million, catch a 60 inch rockfish, and bag a 10 point buck, all in a single day.

...hey, if we're talking pie in the sky and when pigs fly out of my a$$. :D

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    how about police that also have teaching degrees. they can serve in both capacities. they could be paid more than regular teachers but not cost as much as paying both a teacher and a policeman.

minimal cost increase but large safety increase as well as getting more MEN involved in helping to raise these kids.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    The media has done a great job ignoring this one shin e it doesn’t fit their preferred narrative ....

The media is too busy fawning over the MSD kids and their DC fascism rally from the weekend. The MD shooting won’t see the light of day on MSM any more because it does t fit their gun control agenda.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    how about police that also have teaching degrees. they can serve in both capacities. they could be paid more than regular teachers but not cost as much as paying both a teacher and a policeman.

minimal cost increase but large safety increase as well as getting more MEN involved in helping to raise these kids.

That would be a logical idea but since it’s not the lefts common sense approach, they don’t like it. Their vague idea of common sense when it comes to guns, are very scary.

MD is the perfect example of the SRO program. Unfortunately the shooter was able to find his targeted victim and get a few shots off before he was stopped. But it could have been much worse

What I don’t get. And maybe I can get an opinion or two? Is their logic of well if he didn’t have access to a gun. He wouldn’t have been able to shoot her. We already have some of the strictest gun laws in the country. He was under 18 and he stole his dads handgun.

My thought is that evil will find a way to perpetuate evil. It requires faithful and good people to stop evil. I feel terrible that young lady lost her life. I really do. But had it not been a gun it would have been another weapon. The boy was evil and no laws could have stopped that.

Toxicjin

Feb 8, 2018
    Forest Hill, Md.
    What I don’t get. And maybe I can get an opinion or two? Is their logic of well if he didn’t have access to a gun. He wouldn’t have been able to shoot her. We already have some of the strictest gun laws in the country. He was under 18 and he stole his dads handgun.

My thought is that evil will find a way to perpetuate evil. It requires faithful and good people to stop evil. I feel terrible that young lady lost her life. I really do. But had it not been a gun it would have been another weapon. The boy was evil and no laws could have stopped that.

I agree with you. He could use anything as a weapon as long as his intentions were evil and to hurt people. I am wondering if the father's gun wasn't secure. Was it irresponsibly left out or did the kid break into his safe? I haven't heard anything yet about how this kid actually got a hold of his fathers gun.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    That would be a logical idea but since it’s not the lefts common sense approach, they don’t like it. Their vague idea of common sense when it comes to guns, are very scary.

MD is the perfect example of the SRO program. Unfortunately the shooter was able to find his targeted victim and get a few shots off before he was stopped. But it could have been much worse

EXACTLY! But you notice that these snowflakes, pink ***** hat people and all the others aren’t really concerned about school safety or mourning the fallen, it’s all aimed specifically at the NRA and guns. Not a word about mental help for the students killing fellow students. The only answer they have is “ban all guns”. Really? Who’s gonna tell the bad guys? Or the inner city hoods shooting up the neighborhoods. DC and Baltimore have strong gun laws and look at all the black on black killings. Unless you have the will to enforce the law on all the people and stop being a token mayor nothing will get better. It’s the people killing people and using guns as their instrument of choice.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Howard County just announced a directive for patrol officers to go through schools on their beat for 10-15 minutes during their shift. If you are on FB, look up the HCPD page and look at some the asinine responses.(although 90% of the people commenting are in total support if it)
    One guy says he's uncomfortable with it because his kids are black and the police might hassle them more. He also asked if the officers had special training to be around kids. WTF? Another lady says no, no, no, we should be spending that money on after school programs, more guidance counselors, etc.
    This isn't costing anyone more money, it's not like they're pulling money from the school budget for this. These people are complete whack jobs.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Single minded mentality. Police taking a walk through don’t even interact with the students. And again, another case of “your solutions no good, just ban guns”. I have yet to hear any suggested remedies except “ban guns”. The herd mentality.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    Sending patrol officers into schools for short show of presence is a start.

However, wouldn't parents prefer a regular assigned officer to the school? Or a teacher who wishes to carry? There is a better chance for the assigned officer and teacher to recognize faces and threats in the school? That 6 minutes of silence in the MSD event works to about 2.8 deaths per minute. If a bad guy with a gun shows up at school would you want someone, trustworthy - not like MSD, already there?

Eventually a good guy with a gun will arrive, but time really is of the essence. Why not have someone already there. I know I'm preaching to the choir here. It just frustrates the heck out of me how some folks think. I'm a father and grandfather and want children protected and the other side just rejects any "common sense" that they keep throwing at us. Fred55

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Sending patrol officers into schools for short show of presence is a start.

However, wouldn't parents prefer a regular assigned officer to the school? Or a teacher who wishes to carry? There is a better chance for the assigned officer and teacher to recognize faces and threats in the school? That 6 minutes of silence in the MSD event works to about 2.8 deaths per minute. If a bad guy with a gun shows up at school would you want someone, trustworthy - not like MSD, already there?

Eventually a good guy with a gun will arrive, but time really is of the essence. Why not have someone already there. I know I'm preaching to the choir here. It just frustrates the heck out of me how some folks think. I'm a father and grandfather and want children protected and the other side just rejects any "common sense" that they keep throwing at us. Fred55

Hi I already has SRO's at every high school (and maybe middle school, not sure on that one) in the county. It's not just about being there with a gun either. The more the police are there, the better connections they can form with the community and the more likely a kid will tell them about something that doesn't seem right.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Or this, the little darlings have no idea what the signs they’re carrying mean only that they sound “cute” and that “someone” gave it to them to carry.

Attachments

• ABA4FA6F-9661-4DC7-8487-721BCAAAC33D.jpg
      ABA4FA6F-9661-4DC7-8487-721BCAAAC33D.jpg
      82 KB · Views: 162

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads