• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Help me out here. How can someone sell 3239 gift cards for 15% less than they cost? Where do they get that kind of deal and why would Cabela's sell a gift card for that much less than it's value? To further my curiosity, if this company is selling them at a 15% discount, what are they paying for them?

I just don't get it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    guessing cabelas sold them for $80 each. reseller sells them for $85 or something like that. no different than cabelas handing out $15 or $20 off certificates, except here they get their $$$ in advance.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    guessing cabelas sold them for $80 each. reseller sells them for $85 or something like that. no different than cabelas handing out $15 or $20 off certificates, except here they get their $$$ in advance.

Not likely. There are the fees that eBay charges to the seller. With that volume, I can't see them buying those cards for anymore than $70. Now, can Cabela's sell gift cards for a 30% discount?

If they do, I can see why Bass Pro Shop wants to buy them. I also have to wonder if these aren't limited to clothing or some other high margin merchandise.

Just an old country boy that got to thinking....

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Not likely. There are the fees that eBay charges to the seller. With that volume, I can't see them buying those cards for anymore than $70. Now, can Cabela's sell gift cards for a 30% discount?

/QUOTE]

i used the word 'guessing' as i'm not sure of any exact amounts, just speculating at the how and why of your question. other companies directly, and thru resellers, discount their gift cards all the time, some more than others.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    It's a way of promoting their company to attract sales. Companies pay ten of thousands of dollar for advertising and by discounting the gift cards, they get sales, they got advertising and they got advance cash flow. Regardless, they make money either way!

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Help me out here. How can someone sell 3239 gift cards for 15% less than they cost? Where do they get that kind of deal and why would Cabela's sell a gift card for that much less than it's value? To further my curiosity, if this company is selling them at a 15% discount, what are they paying for them?

I just don't get it.

I hear ya but I've done this many times and love it. Same guy runs out but is back in stock. Probably works for the manufacturer that makes the cards for Cabelas go figure.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    oh and another thing one sales person told me is that 45% of people who get gift cards don't use them. So free dollars for the company who issues them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    oh and another thing one sales person told me is that 45% of people who get gift cards don't use them. So free dollars for the company who issues them.

Also add in the promotional value. Someone is going to use it, odds are decent most people are probably going to buy more than the gift card value...so there is non-discounted sales they got. Other folks are going to buy $60 worth of stuff on a $100 gift card and then the balance never gets used.

I am lately doing the trolling for partially used gift cards and stuff so I get a gift card with $66.52 balance left and end up buying $67.31 of stuff and I paid $58.34 for the gift card because discounted.

I wish I had the spare money to buy a few of these.

zigwilliams

Sep 3, 2016
    Southern MD
    Thanks for the information, I went ahead and ordered one. Going to use it for a Christmas present from me to me, I won't need to wrap it or anything.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Powder Valley sells 1K primers for $27 making a profit. Cabelas sells them for $35, quick math says ~ 28% + for Cabelas to do with as they wish.
    I bought a bunch of Cabelas cards at 18% discount, shop through active junky and get 6% back on purchases which gives ~ 23% discount for me, so Cabelas/resellers get the 5% difference for marketing/shipping plus I am sure they get a better price than Powder Valley so Cabelas is profitable and will probably be bought by another company soon. haha ... we are the suckers to the marketing, imagine all those who pay full retail at Cabelas, not me thanks to MDS and these tips!

I could be wrong, and broke soon.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Things like this sketch me out so Ill wait to see confirmation from a member :)

That seller does nothing but gift cards, has 99.5% positive feedback with over 85,000 transactions. I bet he's legit.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    svmgiftcards.com isn't just a guy it's a pretty big gift card organization. I've gotten cards from them before.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Things like this sketch me out so Ill wait to see confirmation from a member :)

I've bought these cards from these folks several times. Two cards are sitting on my counter right now from the last round. Never had a problem. Besides, use a credit card (with rebate?) for added protection. eBay has some pretty good buyer protections as well.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    I'll go further to say that nowadays I NEVER buy from Cabela's, Dick's, BassPro or Gander Mountain without using a discounted gift card. Sites like Cardpool, Raise, etc. are pretty reliable. Ebay usually has the better discounts WHEN they're offered but when not available I use my cashback/rebate card to buy from one of the sites I mentioned. Might take a little planning but when you're on a fixed income "a penny saved..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom