Different / Unique / Oddball Short Barrel NFA item since eForms Form 1s are back

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    The recent return of Form 1 submissions to eForms, and the quick turnaround rate (sounds like about 2 weeks right now) I'm tempted to make another short-barreled thing (SBT). I already have, or am building:

• SBR AR15 (centerfire & rimfire)
    • SBR 10/22 & 10/22 Takedown
    • SBR Glock
    • SBR H&K MP5
    • SBS 870

So I totally don't need this new "thing". :lol2: But those stamps are coming back so quick to people on AR15.com! There seem to be lots of "ready to Form 1" firearms out there on the market right now. Centerfire semiautomatics are a real PIA in Maryland with the 29+" rule (reference the H&K extendo-stock threads here) but something rimfire, or manual-action would be exempt from that. I did some quick math on a Ruger PC Carbine SBR, and I'd only be able to chop about 5" of barrel off of it.

Not considering any SBRs based on the AR15, H&K, 10/22, 15-22 or other semiauto plaforms. But maybe the Remington Model 700CP bolt-action pistol, since it would be easy to add a stock after getting a Form 1 back with a stamp. What other "NFA-Ready" firearms are out there that would just require non-gunsmith mods after paying your $200?

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Remington Model 700 "Chassis Pistol". Comes chambered in .308, .223, or 300BLK.

Attachments

• 700cp.jpg
      700cp.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 513

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    MSPaint of hypothetical 29" Ruger PC Carbine SBR

Poor-mans Photoshop (MS Paint) of hypothetical 29" Ruger PC Carbine SBR:

Attachments

• 29inchRugerPCC.jpg
      29inchRugerPCC.jpg
      15.5 KB · Views: 547

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Remington Model 700 "Chassis Pistol". Comes chambered in .308, .223, or 300BLK.

There was a thread over in /r/nfa on Reddit recently where a guy was building what looked like a pretty cool Rem700 SBR. That might be a neat option, especially if you have a good suppressor to run on it.

I have been tempted very hard by the SIG MPX recently. Good thing I don't have the cash...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Haha, are you encouraging me to resist? Or realizing that your own resistance is, in fact, futile? 2:
    The latter. How many SBRs does one man need? I can only shoot one at a time!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    There was a thread over in /r/nfa on Reddit recently where a guy was building what looked like a pretty cool Rem700 SBR. That might be a neat option, especially if you have a good suppressor to run on it.
    I'll take a look at that one. If I went that route, it would mean a new caliber for me (.300BLK) but it does seem to suppress well.

I have been tempted very hard by the SIG MPX recently. Good thing I don't have the cash...
    That would be a completely new platform, mags, manual of arms, etc., that I'm trying to avoid.

Upside though, is that MDS member schnejerator has already cracked the code on how to get the 29" length requirement, and it's much easier than an H&K: https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4893360&postcount=84
    MPX_extended.jpg

MPX_collapsed.jpg

Maybe even more oddball than that? :confused:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I've always wanted a Benelli M1S90 SBS.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the way to go for one of those is to find LEO surplus ones and buy them on a Form 4, because you can often find them for the $700 or so range, which is much cheaper than SBS'ing an existing normal one.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I've always wanted a Benelli M1S90 SBS.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the way to go for one of those is to find LEO surplus ones and buy them on a Form 4, because you can often find them for the $700 or so range, which is much cheaper than SBS'ing an existing normal one.
    I am tempted to do another SBS with one of the Remington TAC-13 semiautos.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    • SBR Glock
    I'd like to hear how you're going to get that Glock OAL to 29"+ without using a ~16" barrel. I did one pre-ban for fun, and it's rad, but I'd never bother with it now.

That said, I would absolutely love to do a suppressed urban-counter-sniper build off a 308 Rem 700 pistol with a folding stock.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I'd like to hear how you're going to get that Glock OAL to 29"+ without using a ~16" barrel. I did one pre-ban for fun, and it's rad, but I'd never bother with it now.
    Not pretty, quite cumbersome, but not difficult. Here: Going to great lengths for a MD-legal Glock SBR

That said, I would absolutely love to do a suppressed urban-counter-sniper build off a 308 Rem 700 pistol with a folding stock.
    That'd be a good one. With no recoil system any of the folding gizmos like the Law Tactical adapter would work.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I didnt realize form 1’s were coming back that fast. It makes me want to go out and buy a lever gun to chop and thread :D

Attachments

• 77E38176-7136-4AD7-B63F-3E77A6418D53.jpg
      77E38176-7136-4AD7-B63F-3E77A6418D53.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 199

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I didnt realize form 1’s were coming back that fast. It makes me want to go out and buy a lever gun to chop and thread :D
    Short lever guns are pretty cool. If I went that route, I'd probably buy a "Mare's Leg" type thing and get a stock for it. Seems like less work than shortening a barrel, re-attaching a sight, and shortening a mag tube.

Attachments

• Mars-Leg-Featured-Large-2018.jpg
      Mars-Leg-Featured-Large-2018.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 197

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Short lever guns are pretty cool. If I went that route, I'd probably buy a "Mare's Leg" type thing and get a stock for it. Seems like less work than shortening a barrel, re-attaching a sight, and shortening a mag tube.

True. I wonder if that hits the 29” mark with a stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom