• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I am wondering if I should do anything to clean up and try to restore this Case knife? I know sometimes it can ruin the value of something if it is cleaned or restored, not that I'm thinking of selling it. On the other hand, I don't want it to degrade any worse. What do you think? Leave it alone?

Attachments

• 100_1061.jpg
      100_1061.jpg
      119.6 KB · Views: 359
    • 100_1062.jpg
      100_1062.jpg
      111 KB · Views: 362
    • 100_1063.jpg
      100_1063.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 357
    • 100_1064.jpg
      100_1064.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 355
    • 100_1065.jpg
      100_1065.jpg
      103.9 KB · Views: 360

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What problems ? That's what knives that get carried/ used look like , Actually in pretty good shape .

As noted above , just keep sharp, and keep using .

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I think I'd put a little Remoil on the blades and lightly wipe them down with a green Scotchbrite plastic scouring pad used for cleaning dishes. That will polish them up a bit but as carbon steel you'll never get them completely clean. Enjoy the patina!

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Try neverdull . It’s a polish that comes in a can of wool I believe .I use it on knives ,clean firearms etc. I wouldnt use anything abrasive on it. .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I perhaps have 200 knives that I buy all over , I have never clean or sharpened any that I have bought unless they were carry knives . I display mine in a large glass square coffee table . I really cant get any more knives in there .

Leave the knife alone if you are a collector , wipe it down and sharpen if you are going to carry it .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While I personally don't think the OP's knife needs much work, I can offer a couple solutions.

If you care to examine the photos in post #1331 in the Show Us Your Blades thread, you'll see a dagger encrusted in black crud (2nd pic) and the same blade after several hours of soaking in white vinegar and brushing aggressively with a brass brush (1st pic). Obviously the OP knife is far from being so encrusted. If one were to use the vinegar soak, it should be followed with thorough rinsing with very hot water and then neutralised with a baking soda slurry, and another rinse, to get rid of any trace of lingering acidity. This is especially important for old blades made of laminated steel, where the rust can infiltrate between the layers of steel.

For more lightly rusted blades, I often use Eezox scrubbed with a stainless steel scouring pad, and/or 0000 steel wool soaked in Eezox. Several applications, wiped off with paper toweling, will remove much or all active (red) rust. The pitted black rust can be chipped away with a needle if you need to be thorough, though I seldom go that far. Eezox is both a solvent and a rust preventive, and works very well. I'd keep it away from wood or plastic, just because.

If you don't plan to use the blade (or whatever metal object you're restoring) a coat of Renaissance Wax will provide a microscopic coating of wax which prevents, or at least slows, further oxidation of the metal. Some folks use this wax on fine firearms, to keep their safe queens looking pretty for their grandchildren's children. Won't hurt the gun.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    To each his or her own, but i like its looks. Has thta bused, not abused look. Are case knives still being made. I remeber a store on main street in annapolis that had a big front window and in it a factory card of case knives that then was years old.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    To each his or her own, but i like its looks. Has thta bused, not abused look. Are case knives still being made. I remeber a store on main street in annapolis that had a big front window and in it a factory card of case knives that then was years old.

Case knives are still being made in Bradford, PA, under the same company as Zippo lighters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom