Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 26th, 2018, 10:10 AM #21
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
I have been shooting the 300 BO for some years now in a 16 inch carbine gas set up. I have no problem using standard SR primers with h110 or Lil Gun. In .44 Magnum pistol, I use magnum primers to get better burn efficiency but I have never had a problem in the 300BO. Perhaps pistol gas setups and pistol length barrels may need magnum primers but I don't see the need in a carbine.
Was getting some vertical stringing, and about 100fps variance with CCI400 and CFEBLK out of 110, 150, and 208gr(sub), worst was with 150gr supers, CCI450 magnum primers cured it, and shrunk the group size noticeably. I am shooting/testing out of a 9" with pistol gas, so that may be some of the difference. Already switched to magnum primers when working up H110(110-150gr) and A1680(150, 208, 220plated), and both powders did fine, but being I never loaded them with std CCIs, I don't have standard primer data to compare them to. In the past with H110 in nuclear 357mag loads for my 16" lever Carbine(similar loads to 300BO), I had no problem in the summer when working up the load, but groups opened up, mostly vertically when shooting in the fall/winter, switching to magnum primers cured that too.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 03:44 AM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone803 View Post
Oddly enough I am getting horrible results with 220 subs and cfe BLK. Like 150 fps deviation in velocity consistently. I'm going back to 1680.
I'm curious to know what barrel you are using? I have a 16" and 10.5" Black Hole Weaponry barrels with 1x7 twist. I've never experienced any deviations like that.
ADCOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 10:14 AM #23
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone803 View Post
Oddly enough I am getting horrible results with 220 subs and cfe BLK. Like 150 fps deviation in velocity consistently. I'm going back to 1680.
Magnum primers? I had the same issue before I switched to them, CFE BLK usually gives a compressed charge of what is essentially a really fine grained slow pistol powder, 100+FPS variance on CCI400s, shrunk to about 25FPS out of 10 shots with 450 magnum primers.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 09:54 PM #24

Are you fellas using cannulared bullets and crimping into the cannular?
Old September 27th, 2018, 10:12 PM #25

Yes, I crimp both my lead and jacketed bullets with a medium crimp. While I don't crimp on precision rifle cartridges, I do on semi autos because of the knocking around that they get.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:40 AM #26

what are you guys using for cheap plinking boolits?

It looks like 147gr .308 FMJ is the cheapest. I usually like my plinking ammo to be similar to my primary ammo for POI reasons, which is currently 123gr, but whatever can go boom.

I might load some decent ammo but I mostly just want to get some close range drills, and steel plinking at 200, cheap ammo for more trigger time right now.
OLM-Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:52 AM #27

I'd also like to also load some supersonic defensive loads, but I haven't decided which yet. I have a philosophy to only trust factory ammunition for true SD/HD, so defensive reloads would just be to supplement that so I could afford practicing with the good stuff assuming POI is roughly the same. Unfortunately, Barnes TacTX is just too damn expensive. I have one mag of it for HD but my go to ammo is just FMJ for now.

I need more trigger time with this anyway, so my primary concern is just practice ammo, but I'm open to suggestions here too.
OLM-Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 06:54 AM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLM-Medic View Post
what are you guys using for cheap plinking boolits?

It looks like 147gr .308 FMJ is the cheapest. I usually like my plinking ammo to be similar to my primary ammo for POI reasons, which is currently 123gr, but whatever can go boom.

I might load some decent ammo but I mostly just want to get some close range drills, and steel plinking at 200, cheap ammo for more trigger time right now.
I use lead 150 grain bullets. I have a NOE four cavity mold which makes a bullet similar to the one that Lee designed for the 7.62x39. They are great for short range trigger time.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:33 AM #29

H110 is what I use for my 120grn. I haven't taken possession of my can yet so I haven't worked up a sub load
Old October 4th, 2018, 10:55 AM #30
Official Meat Getter

Official Meat Getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCOLE View Post
I'm curious to know what barrel you are using? I have a 16" and 10.5" Black Hole Weaponry barrels with 1x7 twist. I've never experienced any deviations like that.
10.5" off brand barrel. Honestly don't remember the mfg right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Magnum primers? I had the same issue before I switched to them, CFE BLK usually gives a compressed charge of what is essentially a really fine grained slow pistol powder, 100+FPS variance on CCI400s, shrunk to about 25FPS out of 10 shots with 450 magnum primers.
Standard small rifle. I'll pick up some magnums next time I order. I haven't really had time to mess with it in the last few months. Between the Nosler 220 Ballistic tips keyholing, my RAR keyholing literally everything I put through it and the inconsistent velocities from the AR build I kinda back burnered most of my 300 BO projects.

"And I'll tell you what, I'll do you a favor. I'll throw in a fart" - Rick Sanchez

SMC
kstone803 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading