• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    In case you weren't aware. Sheriff Gahler is having an open house at John Carroll school on March 1st to discuss school safety. Of course the 1000 tickets for the event were snatched up in less than 48 hours. I applied right away when they were available but have not been emailed a ticket. Hopefully some people here get in. Perhaps we need a public presence outside? Patriots?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/harford-county-public-discussion-on-school-safety-tickets-43482992802

Last edited:

Jimboy

Jimboy
    Patriot Picket
    Jul 8, 2015
    From frying pan to Fire
    Hmmm . . . We're having something similar in St Mary's county at the Leonardtown HS, 7pm on March 7th.

Sheriff Tim Cameron is leading it. I'm planning to go.
    I haven't heard anything about needing tickets.
    Fortunately we're generally more conservative down here in the south. Sheriff is too.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Our Sheriff is conservative, it's the attendees that may need to be restrained. I'm sure it is going to be quite controversial.

Unless it is crashed, I don't think the citizens of Hazzard County have any concerns about the Sheriff's Office or it's deputies. I'd be very surprised if anything got out of hand.

I would hope that this is just the first of many discussions, so that more parents may be able to meeting and discuss the matter.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Unless it is crashed, I don't think the citizens of Hazzard County have any concerns about the Sheriff's Office or it's deputies. I'd be very surprised if anything got out of hand.

I would hope that this is just the first of many discussions, so that more parents may be able to meeting and discuss the matter.

I think the Sheriff has his head in the right spot. I am also sure there will be quite the backlash from many there who listen to the MSM and believe gun control is the answer.

I found my ticket in my email junk area so I will be there to see what goes on.

Supposedly they are looking to possibly change venues and/or add seats.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    AA co
    Mr Raymond Kate asked my position on teachers carrying firearms in schools. This was my response.

Ray

Let me offer this as a big 2nd Amendment supporter, to include conceal & carry.

I believe engaging in a gunfight in a densely populated school is not the job for an underpaid, overworked,teacher, coach or administrator.

It’s is not the place for someone who who has attended a 16-20 hour Wear & Carry Class and fired a couple hundred rounds at a one-dimensional stationary target.

It’s not the place for someone who has received no advanced tactical training and who will not be adequately equipped when faced with a school shooting.

I can assure you that without multiple magazines, a novice will expend his/her ammunition within the first few seconds of an armed encounter.

A professional law enforcement officer is trained to conserve their ammunition and employ surgical shooting techniques at their target, especially when innocent people are nearby.

Let’s keep our remarkable educators doing what they do best,teaching. And let’s keep your well-trained, well equipped deputies and officers doing what they do best, protecting others

Your Sheriff,

Ron Bateman

So I'm guessing he's a fan of regular capacity magazines for civilians?

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    People should be able to protect themselves everywhere, churches and schools included. My kids deserve to be safe at school. Banning one type of weapon does not make anyone's kids safe. Liberals are so stupid and the media pushing this crap agenda should all get fired.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    AA co

So I'm guessing he's a fan of regular capacity magazines for civilians?

Here is a story and video ( on iPad so I haven’t been able to see if I can embed) where police shot 65 times in 15 seconds at a murder suspect who shot at them and NO ONE was hit and they were less then 20feet from one another.

So I don’t think it matters if someone has only shot at paper targets or used FATS systems when adrenaline starts anything goes. I would still want teachers to have the option to carry in schools.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/0...onds-at-murder-suspect-in-dramatic-video.html

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    This event "Sold out" no it was not moved to a bigger venue. Makes me wonder why they didn't want more people attending, and if certain groups had more representation.

unfortunately the teacher organizations don't often represent lol teachers. I hope enough people are there who support protecting our kids. I, unfortunately, don't think anything will change, especially with the present administration in place.

TD

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Did anyone know Andy Harris had a town hall meeting tonight at the Joppa/Magnolia VFC? I just saw it on ch11 news. Seems like it didn't go too well. At least that's the way it was portrayed by WBAL.

I heard absolutely nothing about this meeting. Did anyone?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Did anyone know Andy Harris had a town hall meeting tonight at the Joppa/Magnolia VFC? I just saw it on ch11 news. Seems like it didn't go too well. At least that's the way it was portrayed by WBAL.

It was mentioned on The Dagger, I believe. People there HATE him. If you aren't familiar with daggerpress.com, you might want to check it out. It's a Harford County "news" site, but the real entertainment value is in the comments to the articles. It's...well...just check it out :eek: My friend, we are surrounded by some truly rotten people:sad20: And maybe a couple of good ones...but they don't bring the fireworks.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    How did it go?

AAR:

OK, it turned out not half bad once inside.

Over 500 people there but far cry from the 1000 tickets given away. Excuses were made for nasty weather. It will be broadcasted online hopefully later today.

Definitely felt like a gun control leaning crowd, at least that's the vibe I got from most of the private conversations. Fortunately there were enough there with sense to give some rational points. Surprisingly during the night the topic of guns was a rarity.

There was an opening statement by Sheriff Gahler. He seems pretty well grounded and really set the tone for what can we do in the schools. Head of board of education seemed genuine as well towards protecting schools. Glassman was just strange in my opinion. Obviously everything comes down to money. I can't really explain it but I guess I'll just chalk it up to him speaking like a politician.

Twenty people signed up to speak. Admittedly I was not prepared and didn't want to falter so I sat back and watched. Main topic was SROs and the wanting of them at EVERY school. Was very popular with the crowd but need of funding was mentioned many times. Of course there was one that was worried about our kids being exposed to police with guns in schools and actual troublemakers facing consequences because of SROs. Dummy. Overall everyone else loves and understands the total value of SROs and the community outreach they perform.

Talk about hardening schools. Fortifying doors, bulletproof glass, buzzing in, individual classrooms with doors as opposed to open kearning, etc. All comes down to money.

One guy wants to get rid of large backpacks and go to clear bags so you can see what's in them. Other lady's kids have large musical instruments and they aren't going in clear bags.

One lady said that a big problem is minorities are more likely to be disciplined. Basically said white males are the issue ( I guess asserting that most shooters are white?). Anyway she's white and has a young son so he will probably live in hell for at least the next 10-15 years because of her and his inherited white privilege.

Mom's demand action spoke but he lady was not all guns are evil. From whst I was hearing while in line they are just starting to get organized here and probably have not had their full indoctrination. This was obvious as guns were not blamed enough by her.

Teachers with guns brought up on both sides. Definitely more opposed then for. One man did lay it out that he would certainly want a teacher to have a gun to protect his children in their classroom if something happened. He went in to speculate that the families that lost a child a few weeks ago would feel the same way. That was nice to hear. One guy wants to arm first responders but not teachers (because when seconds count we should wait many minutes is what came to my mind).

Man from Texas spoke last. He said a lot and rambled but some of it made sense. He was more gun friendly while still being upset about these tragedies. They had to cut him off to get out on time. It was good to end on a less anti-gun note.

I did submit seven questions online to the board. They say they are reviewing each question and taking them I to consideration.

Generally it was a pro police, pro SRO, pro protect our kids in school panel. The crowd mainly mirrored this. I think we are lucky to have Sheriff Gahler. He made a point to let everyone know his deputies and other law enforcement in the area are trained to immediately go to the shooter, not to group up outside. That was his first point and one of my main questions so it was nice to hear.

We need to get ourselves more organized. We need to be at all of these events. We need to ensure we are in the mix of people that have their ears. We can't just assume that any areas are safely conservative.

Sorry I bounced around. Looking forward to seeing the discussion posted online.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD

Yep, I saw it on Facebook. I was already signed up for the gun safety discussion though. I felt that was more important for me.

Andy has a tough road. He gets a lot of push back on Facebook. I'm sure he could use a lot more support lest we end up with no Republican representatives in Congress.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    It is good to hear the meeting went "well" and I think we are luck to have our sheriff. I can also tell you there are many more teachers who support arming teachers who didn't in the past. Not all of them would carry but they support some being trained and armed.

I'll be amazed if it happens before I retire in 9 years (I hope) but I hope something changes soon. They all talk about money, arming teachers would be the least expensive and quite effective. Then we can implement the other layers of protection, start with the classroom and work out from there.

TD

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    It is good to hear the meeting went "well" and I think we are luck to have our sheriff. I can also tell you there are many more teachers who support arming teachers who didn't in the past. Not all of them would carry but they support some being trained and armed.

I'll be amazed if it happens before I retire in 9 years (I hope) but I hope something changes soon. They all talk about money, arming teachers would be the least expensive and quite effective. Then we can implement the other layers of protection, start with the classroom and work out from there.

TD

I would like very much for any of my children's teachers that are willing and go through training to be allowed to carry. I think teachers, as well as any law abiding citizen, should be allowed to get a permit and to carry in schools. Screw these target rich zones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom