• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Chalk this up to, "you learn something new every day."

Went to the range today and, among other guns, put some rounds through one of my carry guns, a Glock 29 Gen 4. This particular mag had a few hundred rounds through it with no problems.

However, after ~50 rounds, the mag started ejecting after every shot. Switched mags to another mag that has around the same round count, everything fine- at least at first. After ~40 rounds through that mag, it started doing the same thing.

I figured out why: I had recently added Pearce base plates to the mags to give my pinky somewhere to rest and to give me a better grip (as well as a Zev metal mag release.) The problem is that with each shot and the resulting recoil, my pinky is banging down on the Pearce extension, slamming it against the mag release internally. This, combined with the metal mag release, is peening the catch in the magazine body. Both mag bodies are now toast.

20171226_175659_zps7hc37cdu.jpg

20180127_151931_zpsa9ankz7o.jpg

I thought I'd share my cautionary tale, in case anyone else is considering the same combo.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Try the same with a stock mag release (plastic), just curious.
    I am finding that loaded pmags expand and do not drop free from Gen 5's , while loaded.

DSBartender

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 12, 2016
    Waldorf
    Wow cautionary tale indeed. Why make aftermarket parts that tear up your gun? You would think accessory manufacturers would do a decent amount of product testing prior to going to market. I guess getting a buck is more important than protecting their brand and building loyalty among their customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Wow cautionary tale indeed. Why make aftermarket parts that tear up your gun? You would think accessory manufacturers would do a decent amount of product testing prior to going to market. I guess getting a buck is more important than protecting their brand and building loyalty among their customers.

I wouldn't beat up the aftermarket guys much as this seems to be a combination of the mag floor plate and the mag release. One may have been fine but not the combo.

I don't fault someone who makes light hammer springs that I buy and put into a firearm if I opt to shoot hard primers and have issues, that is my fault, not theirs.

The manufactures do a LOT of testing (aside from SIG drop testing :-), sorry had to) so we need to be careful when we go and change things out as that combo may not work.

DSBartender

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 12, 2016
    Waldorf
    I wouldn't beat up the aftermarket guys much as this seems to be a combination of the mag floor plate and the mag release. One may have been fine but not the combo.

I don't fault someone who makes light hammer springs that I buy and put into a firearm if I opt to shoot hard primers and have issues, that is my fault, not theirs.

The manufactures do a LOT of testing (aside from SIG drop testing :-), sorry had to) so we need to be careful when we go and change things out as that combo may not work.

Got it, I suppose you can not test for every possible combination of product use. With multiple upgrades you would quickly reach a number of test cases that would be impossible or impractical to evaluate.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Got it, I suppose you can not test for every possible combination of product use. With multiple upgrades you would quickly reach a number of test cases that would be impossible or impractical to evaluate.

True, so go carefully into modding a firearm. It takes time and can make many unreliable, not to mention frustrating as hell when they don't work right! :D

I did it a lot in the past and have boxes of parts and lots of hours spent, so, I do it much less now.

DSBartender

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 12, 2016
    Waldorf
    True, so go carefully into modding a firearm. It takes time and can make many unreliable, not to mention frustrating as hell when they don't work right! :D

I did it a lot in the past and have boxes of parts and lots of hours spent, so, I do it much less now.

I hear you. Guns are a bit more complicated than the LEGO’s we used to play with as kids!

I’m actually considering a Glock build from a Polymer80 frame so this thread has helped me see I really need to do my homework prior to assembling the components.

This place is full of good information. Thanks Guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom