• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Got a chance to test some of my first 9mm reloads. 147gr no issues. Also tested 124gr and on those i had one stove pipe and one case fling back at me because I think it was pinched by the ejector port as it was being ejected. I've never once had a single issue firing over 800 rounds of factory ammo.

So should I just bump up the charge by a fraction and test another few mags.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Got a chance to test some of my first 9mm reloads. 147gr no issues. Also tested 124gr and on those i had one stove pipe and one case fling back at me because I think it was pinched by the ejector port as it was being ejected. I've never once had a single issue firing over 800 rounds of factory ammo.

So should I just bump up the charge by a fraction and test another few mags.

What does you reloading manual say about your recipe? If you're on the low side, then bumping it up may be the answer as long as you don't go over the max charge. If you are on the high side, then find another powder. Before doing so, put some factory ammo through it to be sure it's not something related to the gun itself.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I find it frustrating how inconsistent load data is depending on where you look. All of my starting and midrange loads for 9mm have resulted in feed problems. I'm really liking the idea of prepping your brass and loading it up at the range, especially for semi-auto. The last range trip I was at the max load for 147 grain bullets and the cases wouldn't even eject from the chamber. After some more searching I found older data and the load was almost twice the amount as the current data. :eek:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I find it helpful to chrono factory rounds out of my gun, then chrono my reloads.
    Compare apples to apples, 124g factory to 124g reloads. And don't go by anything on the box, you gotta measure YOUR GUN.
    I tend to reload mine a TAD below (20-30fps) factory ammo velocity and always look for pressure signs. I have never seen pressure signs when reloading within the data in the books or power mfg/bullet mfg online data. Only time I"ve had any trouble was with old guns.

I have a few "pet loads" for some old guns where I'm loading as low as I can and still cycle.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks all. I was using Alpha-Bravo uncoated bullets. No reloading info. So i tried to find the closest match load data and start from there.

I shot for a mid-hi load so i should have some room.

I could not chrono them because I have a magnospeed and no way to attach it to the glock. The cases didnt show any signs of over pressure.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Thanks all. I was using Alpha-Bravo uncoated bullets. No reloading info. So i tried to find the closest match load data and start from there.

I shot for a mid-hi load so i should have some room.

I could not chrono them because I have a magnospeed and no way to attach it to the glock. The cases didnt show any signs of over pressure.

What powder?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's

The Lee book doesn't list anything for Longshot and 124gr LRN bullets but it does for 125gr LRN bullets. Start charge is 5.0gr of powder and max is 5.7gr for 125gr LRN bullets. For 115gr LRN bullets the charges are 5.0gr start and 6.0gr max. Since you're only 1gr less than the 125 gr, I'd go no higher than 5.7gr based solely upon that data. With that, its a suggestion.

Hogdon also recommends the same charges for 125gr LCN bullets. (Start 5.0gr max 5.7gr) I'd say you're good if you stay in that range.
    What charge are you using now?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The Lee book doesn't list anything for Longshot and 124gr LRN bullets but it does for 125gr LRN bullets. Start charge is 5.0gr of powder and max is 5.7gr for 125gr LRN bullets. For 115gr LRN bullets the charges are 5.0gr start and 6.0gr max. Since you're only 1gr less than the 125 gr, I'd go no higher than 5.7gr based solely upon that data. With that, its a suggestion.

Hogdon also recommends the same charges for 125gr LCN bullets. (Start 5.0gr max 5.7gr) I'd say you're good if you stay in that range.
    What charge are you using now?

5.2gr but I only weighed 20% and estimated based on my sampling that I was within +/- 0.1gr. So it is statistically possible that I has a few charges which metered low that I didn't detect in the sample.

I think at this point I'll load up a small batch to 5.4-5.5 gr and see how the fire.

Thanks again for looking up that load data for me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Longshot is on the slow side for 9mm. Even if the pressures per se are within the normal range, the pressure curve could cause issues in specific handgun designs.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    It does, but he's not had issues with it before and it's only with that one load. Chances are it's the load not limp-wristing.

Roger That, I just thought with reloading there might be some anticipation with firing off your first batch...

until you get the "formula" right...

Last edited:

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    I find it helpful to chrono factory rounds out of my gun, then chrono my reloads.

Agreed. I would add that knowing what a load (factory or reload) will do from more than one gun is useful. My CZ shoots any load about 75-100 fps slower than my XDM. If I were to only use the CZ, I may think that my reloads are a little weak when in fact they are right where they need to be.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    I use reloading to get the most accurate, least recoiling rounds possible for the fastest split times. Often that means using a lighter than factory recoil spring. You may want to make the gun conform to your optimum load. Just a suggestion.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    That is a good point, none of my guns have the factory recoil spring in them. I mostly shoot 1911's, with 40 s&w making major PF I run 12.5 lbs recoil spring. My 9mm I'm pretty much running as light of a spring as will run the gun. 9-10 lbs works great.

ap1

Sep 6, 2014
    I load thousands of competition speed 9mms. I would be happy to chat about it at a gun show... I do most all of them.

* as for using Longshot as a powder for 9mm... I have tried 7 or 8 different pistol powders, since they discontinued PB
    I use Longshot exclusively! It gives me the best control over speed with minimal risk of overpressure. I have never had it
    smash a case bottom flat like some other powders are prone to do when working up loads. I know everyone has their fave',
    this one works for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom