• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm near Bel Air, MD, and I need a gunsmith to re-barrel a Savage long action, as well as thread the barrel for a suppressor. I've already got the new Savage, a Criterion barrel, a new barrel lug and a muzzle brake. Don't think the action needs to be trued. Any suggestions on someone who can do a tidy job? Bonus points for actually hitting anywhere near the due date they give me. These are all new parts, no rust, and not mil-surp mystery meat. If it was just a barrel swap, I'd be tempted to try it myself, but the threading needs to be done professionally.

Yeah, I've got a few stories. Barrels that were cut to the wrong length, a revolver that locked up during dry-fire, vise marks on barrels, etc. I'm not trying to be cheap. It should be a straight-forward job, and I want a pro that can knock it out and get it right. Turn-around time is not a big deal, as long as it isn't "forever" or "next decade". I'd rather not mail this to George Gardner - he's gonna laugh - is there a guy within a few hours drive that can handle it?

Thanks, Dutch

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Call Duffy's. Look in the IP section. They do great work. John has down some cool stuff for me including threading a barrel or two…
    Bouns points, they are in sparks, not to far from you.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Ummm, seriously, thanks for the suggestion, but do you know anybody else?

I'm done with that gunsmith. PM me if needed.

Retail is fantastic there, by the way. Even last fall, during the panic, they managed it really well. I always get great customer service from the guys out front.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Hafer's Gunsmithing near Hagerstown or Scott's Gunsmithing, Glen Burnie, MD both do great work but expect a backlog.

sniperdwight

May 20, 2010
    Joppa, Maryland
    I would not recommend Badgersmith for threading. I definitely would recommend Duffy's for the job. John has threaded many a barrel for me , as well as made me a 45 acp barrel for my H&R. Flawless work and perfect threads. He's done 9/16 -24 and 5/8 -24 threads for both a 30 caliber suppressor and a 50 caliber suppressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom