• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posted in the past week about opinions on current local market value on a couple revolvers. Got PM'd a few offers and while negotiating a possible sale, was made aware of a recall on older model 686's
    Digging through my paperwork, looks like I got mine used back in 1994, so obviously, it's a couple years older than that.

I contacted S&W via email explaining my situation and they promptly replied asking for the serial#. Within days they emailed me a prepaid FEDEX label and detailed instructions on returning the pistol for repair. This is only the second time I've ever had return a firearm for warranty/recall issues and I gotta give S&W a big thumbs up for how they're handling this.

So read the recall description below and if you think you have a revolver affected, it'd definitely be worthwhile and relatively painless to contact S&W to get it resolved.

Also if you're shopping around for a used 686, read below in blue to see how a repaired recall pistol is marked.

Take it for what it's worth, this is what I found on the internet regarding this recall:
    SMITH & WESSON
    MODEL 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1,
    586-1, 681-1, 686-1 & 686CS-1, REVOLVERS

RECALL: Reports have been received from the field where the combination of a SMITH & WESSON L-FRAME 357 MAGNUM REVOLVER and some .357 Magnum ammunition has resulted in unacceptable cylinder binding. L-frame revolvers bearing model numbers:

581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1,
    681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1

Cylinder binding can cause a failure to fire. Mishandling a revolver while freeing the cylinder can result in accidental discharge.

Cylinder binding can result from a number of causes, including characteristics of an individual revolver or the use of ammunition, which does not conform to industry pressure specifications or is particularly fast burning. Recent developments in ammunition manufacture emphasize the production of .357 Magnum ammunition with increased velocity and greater primer sensitivity.

Although there have been very few reported incidents of cylinder binding, in view of our concern for our customer's safety and the reliability of Smith & Wesson products in all circumstances, we issue the following warning:

In a situation where a failure to fire can be critical - such as law enforcement or personal protection - do not use .357 Magnum ammunition with an L-frame revolver bearing model numbers 581, 586, 681, 686 or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 without an "M" over the model number until you have had the revolver modified.

Those who need to use their L-frame revolver under these conditions prior to modification can safely fire .38 Special caliber ammunition.

Smith & Wesson has developed a modification to improve existing L-frame revolvers. This improvement enables them to fire all .357 Magnum ammunition, without cylinder binding. Shipments of L-frame revolvers from our factory after August 21, 1987 already include this improvement.

You can check if your revolver includes this improvement by looking at the left side of the frame when the cylinder is fully open. If your revolver has been stamped either with a "2" or higher number after the basic three-digit model number or with an "M" above the model number, your revolver includes this improvement and does not need modification. If your revolver bears the model number 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 without an "M" over the model number, it does not include this improvement and your should have your revolver modified.

Smith & Wesson will modify your L-frame revolver free of charge to eliminate the possibility of cylinder binding with .357 Magnum ammunition. Law enforcement agencies wishing to arrange for modification of L-frame revolvers should call 800-458-8469 between 9 A.M. and 6 P.M. Eastern time (MA residents call 413-734-8244). Other users should send their revolvers to a Smith & Wesson Warranty Service Center, specifying "L-frame improvement program" and enclosing their name and return address.

One of the modifications to improve the L-frame revolver is the installation of a new hammer nose. This obsoletes all old L-frame hammer noses (part numbers 4702 and 7513) and all old L-frame hammer assemblies (part numbers 3366, 3378, 3380, 3382, 3391, 4722, 4723, 4726 and 4728) in field parts inventories. Superseded parts should never be fitted into a modified revolver as this may result in malfunction. It is essential for safety that you return these obsolete L-frame hammer noses and obsolete L-frame hammer assemblies for a free exchange to:

Smith & Wesson
    Service Department
    2100 Roosevelt Avenue
    Springfield, MA 01101

Do not return L-frame hammer-nose bushings from your spare parts inventory inasmuch as they are useable in J, N and K-frame revolvers, which are not included in this Product Warning.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Smith & Wesson's first concern is the safety of its products and the protection of its customers.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    This is exactly why I buy SW Revolvers. Everyone can have a problem pop up now and then, it's how you handle it that sets a company apart. Companies like this are a dying breed and that's a shame. Thanks to the OP for providing this safety information as well!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the heads up. I checked the 686's in my collection and all are -2 or higher. I'm good to go.

This is exactly the type of service that keeps me coming back. I purchased a M&P Shield last week and I'm looking for a 317 revolver now.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Thanks for the heads up as I have a 686 no dash that does not have "M" stamped on it. I need to contact S&W to get it looked at although I have had no issues with it.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    This is exactly why I buy SW Revolvers. Everyone can have a problem pop up now and then, it's how you handle it that sets a company apart. Companies like this are a dying breed and that's a shame. Thanks to the OP for providing this safety information as well!

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the 686's in my collection and all are -2 or higher. I'm good to go.

This is exactly the type of service that keeps me coming back. I purchased a M&P Shield last week and I'm looking for a 317 revolver now.

Thanks for the heads up as I have a 686 no dash that does not have "M" stamped on it. I need to contact S&W to get it looked at although I have had no issues with it.

I just checked my 686, no M, so I will contacting CS&W as well. Thanks for the info.

Not even a thanks for the heads up.....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Maybe your Tapatalk was blocking the other four responses. :lol2:

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    A thanks From the OP, he is not a fan of me I guess, that's cool, considering i tipped him off on the recall. I can't wait to get my hands on my 686 SSR!!!!!

Some people just want to toot their own horn when they have no clue, welcome to the Internet...

I am Just glad I may have stopped someone from getting hurt buying a gun on this site from this guy, who would have sold it without even a google search on a 20+ year old gun to make sure it was ok. The tip off was the how much is my gun worth, being too lazy to look at gun broker or arms list himself.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ravens52

Mar 8, 2011
    Millersville, MD
    Thanks for the info. This was my 1st pistol; purchased new back in 1986....686-1 no "M". While I've shot 1000's of rounds through it (mostly .38) I've never had an issue. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks again for sharing.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Thank you Sir. I have a -1 with the M so I'm gtg. It is a sweet machine I've enjoyed for 25 years!

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    That's what this community is about, sharing information.
    I've learned a lot from the members here and glad I could give back.

S&W misspelled my name on the FedEx prepaid shipping label and I notified them, finally got a response to use the misspelled label emailed me and they would make sure my info. was corrected with regards to their in-house ref#

Shipped it out today.

I did put a Woulff Spring Kit in it within the last year and it has a Hogue grip on it versus the wood grips when I bought it used.

If S&W comments on anything being non-stock, I'll post it here to give everyone a heads-up.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    That's what this community is about, sharing information.
    I've learned a lot from the members here and glad I could give back.

S&W misspelled my name on the FedEx prepaid shipping label and I notified them, finally got a response to use the misspelled label emailed me and they would make sure my info. was corrected with regards to their in-house ref#

Shipped it out today.

I did put a Woulff Spring Kit in it within the last year and it has a Hogue grip on it versus the wood grips when I bought it used.

If S&W comments on anything being non-stock, I'll post it here to give everyone a heads-up.
    Never updated this, but for what its worth, S&W replaced the Hammer Nose and bushing. No mention was made of my spring kit upgrade. They are a top notch company in my book with regards to CS. :thumbsup:
    Sold this pistol to one of our IP's 2A some time ago and moved on, due to the fact she had turned into a safe queen for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom