• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The original format 1911 flavor ClipDraw goes back to at least the 1960's . Likewise the Barami Hip Grip for most revolvers .

And indeed , both those products indeed " work " , in the context that they are far more secure than simply tucking in the waist band . ( Indeed , once upon a time ran into a 1911 ClipDraw user in the wild , and in a context involving fairly vigorous physical activity . I recognized it , and had a conversation about it . He liked it , reported no problems . But admittedly Mexican Carry results vary widely depending upon subtle differences in body shape, and the cut and fit of trousers . )

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    DCMR Title 24 Chapter 23 section 24-2344.2 States “A licensee shall carry any pistol in a holster on their person in a firmly secure manner that is reasonably designed to prevent loss, theft, or accidental discharge of the pistol.”

If they are indicating that a CCW MUST be in a holster, then they screwed the pooch with this directive. Legally, the would SHALL is the same as MAY. It does not mean MUST. So this letter of understanding is just a request and is not a mandate of any type.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Belt Clip provides just about the same amount of retention as any other passive friction based holster (Level 1). Next they are going to want thumb breaks and buttons to make virtually impossible to conceal carry because of a brick of a holster you will be required to use.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not sure if VGPlayer is discussing the little Clip Only do hickys , or discussing a holster , probably IWB , that attatches via belt clip ?

The "clip only do hicky " is a big step up over Mexican , if only because they prevent the gun from slipping down your pants leg on the inside . But does very little to nothing to control the gun rocking back & forth . This thinness and freedom of movement is why users like them , but it also contributes to the gun popping or getting bumped out the top .

( Bitting my tongue , because I prefer holsters with XXXX equipped with Yyyy , but people should be able to conceal as they decide is best for them .)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Not sure if VGPlayer is discussing the little Clip Only do hickys , or discussing a holster , probably IWB , that attatches via belt clip ?

The "clip only do hicky " is a big step up over Mexican , if only because they prevent the gun from slipping down your pants leg on the inside . But does very little to nothing to control the gun rocking back & forth . This thinness and freedom of movement is why users like them , but it also contributes to the gun popping or getting bumped out the top .

( Bitting my tongue , because I prefer holsters with XXXX equipped with Yyyy , but people should be able to conceal as they decide is best for them .)

Have you ever used one? This couldn’t be more false.

The clip draw, attached to the pants, with a belt over the clip, and properly tightened belt, does an excellent job of curtailing ANY gun movement

The real (not imagined) draw back to the clip draw is the speed in which you can “unholster”. The clip draw generally sits deep and close to the body so you’ll never be as quick as with an actual holster but that’s the trade off for probably the most concealed “holster” on the market.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    My Seecamp with a clip is invisible when tucked front right and, when pressed up against a belt loop as this one was designed, it doesn't go anywhere.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I am speaking just to the retention in preventing someone from taking the firearm. I really don't care how someone carries until they F'up and make all of us look bad.
    From the email:
    "Not only does this “Belt Clip” offer no protection for an accidental discharge but it also is not reasonably designed to prevent theft or loss nor does it firmly secure the weapon."

My point is most holsters don't have any active retention to prevent someone from taking the firearm so based on the standard from this email they could start requiring active retention if they want. They have the authority to set the standard until the court tells them otherwise.....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I say the district or any state should NOT mandate what type of holster anyone should use. Since it wasn't a directive (more or a recommendation), I think most will tell them to pound sand.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Via Email:

District of Columbia CCW Instructors,

Due to recent events in the District of Columbia I have been asked to reach out to all CCW Instructors registered in the District of Columbia and ask you to add to your course of instruction a segment to include CCW Holsters. I fully realize that at this time you are not required to discuss holsters in your classes. I’m sure that you will all agree that it was an accidental oversite by the City and Department not to include this topic in your instruction.

DCMR Title 24 Chapter 23 section 24-2344.2 States “A licensee shall carry any pistol in a holster on their person in a firmly secure manner that is reasonably designed to prevent loss, theft, or accidental discharge of the pistol.” We all know that there are thousands of different CCW holsters available and many more are created every day. It has come to the attention of the Firearms Registration and Conceal Carry Office that a “belt clip” is available on the market and being sold as a “holster”. Not only does this “Belt Clip” offer no protection for an accidental discharge but it also is not reasonably designed to prevent theft or loss nor does it firmly secure the weapon. It has been determent by the Firearms Registration and Concealed Carry office that this type of “Belt Clip” and anything similar to it do not meet the definition of a holster and are not permitted in the District of Columbia for use by CCW Permit holders.

The following link will take you to a site that sells a Smith & Wesson “Belt Clip” that is easily installed by removing the slide rear cover plate and installing a replacement plate. The replacement plate has 2 screw holes that allow the ambidextrous installation of the “Belt Clip.” https://www.clipdraw.com/product/smith-wesson-mp-pistols-belt-clip-for-concealed-carry/ You can find installation instructions on that same site as well as you tube here https://youtu.be/UpVAZDo-imM

This determination has been made with the safety of the CCW Permit holder in mind as well as the safety of innocent bystanders and first responders. Please pass this information along to your students so we can ensure that the District of Columbia maintains a high standard for safety while providing an opportunity for people to exorcise their second amendment right while they are here.

Respectfully,

Security Officer's Management Branch
    Corporate Support Bureau
    Metropolitan Police Department

Yepper... In DC, we gotta insure that the 2A is exorcised properly. :innocent0

EXORCISE

/ˈeksôrˌsīz/Submit
    verb
    drive out or attempt to drive out (an evil spirit) from a person or place.
    "an attempt to exorcise an unquiet spirit"
    synonyms: drive out, cast out, expel
    "exorcising an evil spirit"
    rid (a person or place) of an evil spirit.
    "infants were exorcised prior to baptism"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom