• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Equipment requirements are in large part the reason that 3 Gun is not as popular as IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge. All 3 gun shooters started out with just a rifle and a pistol. It can be very intimidating as well as confusing. I remember my first time I brought my Remington 1187 field shotgun with a 5 round capacity. I shot it one time and then borrowed someone else's.

My recommendation would be to register, bring your rifle, pistol, and mag pouches that you have as well as some shotgun shells. I will help you find someone on your squad who would be more than happy to share their shotgun with you. In fact, I don't recommend buying much gear, especially a shotgun, until you have spent some time talking to the guys on your squad about what they run, what they used to run, and why they don't run it anymore. This goes for shotguns, gun belts, holsters, pistol mag pouches, rifle mag pouches, shotguns, and just about everything else. I wish I would have had someone give me this advice as it would have literally saved me hundreds of dollars (actually closer to $1500).

I forgot to add the most important part of all of this. Shooting 3 Gun is like mainlining heroin. The addiction will set in almost immediately and your cravings for more will be untenable. It will cause you start lying to your family and if necessary you may even steal from them in order to support your habit. You will toss your golf clubs in the trash and your friends will soon start asking why you no longer come around. You will try to explain your condition to them, and even try to get them to try it too, however if they have never felt the burn for themselves, then they will soon fade away. It will make no matter to you because all that is important is that you are on a group text with 10 other addicts, discussing which ear and eye pro are the best, and how you can find a match that is less than 3 hours away from your home.

In other words, the initial investment in 3 Gun is worth it and it is a buy once, cry once game. Show up, shoot with us, and I promise you will come back for more.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    One spare pistol (standard cap of course ) one spare AR mag, in addition to the mags in your guns.

That's it? Hell, I can belt that or chest rig it.

Steel challenge was a hoot. If I can do that with my .223 carbine all the better. Won't hit crap with my pistol, since I use prescription shooting glasses for being near sighted, but I'll have fun trying.

Thanks for the pep talk...

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    At this point, we only have 18 shooters registered, which is somewhat unusual being that we are only 6 days out. It may be the weather, the holidays, or something else.
    This one kinda crept up on me. I get the emails and check here occasionally, but I thought the IDPA match and Steel Challenge were the last of the shoots.

I might be able to make it out on the 14th. Started my annual-ish winter AR15 reconfiguring so I only have a laser boresight zero done on the one I’d shoot for 3-Gun.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Equipment requirements are in large part the reason that 3 Gun is not as popular as IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge. All 3 gun shooters started out with just a rifle and a pistol. It can be very intimidating as well as confusing. I remember my first time I brought my Remington 1187 field shotgun with a 5 round capacity. I shot it one time and then borrowed someone else's.

My recommendation would be to register, bring your rifle, pistol, and mag pouches that you have as well as some shotgun shells. I will help you find someone on your squad who would be more than happy to share their shotgun with you.

In fact, I don't recommend buying much gear, especially a shotgun, until you have spent some time talking to the guys on your squad about what they run, what they used to run, and why they don't run it anymore. This goes for shotguns, gun belts, holsters, pistol mag pouches, rifle mag pouches, shotguns, and just about everything else.

I wish I would have had someone give me this advice as it would have literally saved me hundreds of dollars (actually closer to $1500).
    This reminds me, I’ve wanted to do a “You probably have what you need to start shooting 3 Gun” gear thread.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    This one kinda crept up on me. I get the emails and check here occasionally, but I thought the IDPA match and Steel Challenge were the last of the shoots.

I might be able to make it out on the 14th. Started my annual-ish winter AR15 reconfiguring so I only have a laser boresight zero done on the one I’d shoot for 3-Gun.

I'll be out there Thursday morning putting a red dot on my AR. I had everything off for the winter too...

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I forgot to add the most important part of all of this. Shooting 3 Gun is like mainlining heroin. The addiction will set in almost immediately and your cravings for more will be untenable. It will cause you start lying to your family and if necessary you may even steal from them in order to support your habit. You will toss your golf clubs in the trash and your friends will soon start asking why you no longer come around. You will try to explain your condition to them, and even try to get them to try it too, however if they have never felt the burn for themselves, then they will soon fade away. It will make no matter to you because all that is important is that you are on a group text with 10 other addicts, discussing which ear and eye pro are the best, and how you can find a match that is less than 3 hours away from your home.

In other words, the initial investment in 3 Gun is worth it and it is a buy once, cry once game. Show up, shoot with us, and I promise you will come back for more.

You sir, are very good at running and shooting in matches. However, you'd make a terrible drug dealer :sad20:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I would like to put this out on Facebook. Yes, I know a lot of people hate it. I'm certainly not a fan either, however, it would be a way to reach a wider audience than MDS. I see that AGC has a page, that includes reference to 3gun...but it's pretty bare. Maybe if this was spruced up a bit with pics, vids, and practiscore links, it would get more action?

Is there a better way to advertise this match on FB? I'll include the practiscore link, but that isn't very enticing for someone who is not familiar.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Me too. Interested to try but don’t have anything but the pistol and rifle. Need holster/mag pouches and shottie but not sure I can get set up that fast.

That would be enough to shoot it as 2 gun, but, as MEGARMS said, there will undoubtedly be borrowable shotguns there. Bring some #7.5-9 shells with a velocity of 1300fps or less.

As to holster, Amazon should be able to get you a CompTac International for whatever gun you are shooting in time. I've had good luck with their holsters in a variety of sizes. They aren't terribly expensive and I'm pretty sure can be used in other disciplines, like IDPA.

You will want mag pouches eventually, but pockets work for starting out.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I put a link on facebook last night, and one of my friends who has a lot of gun buddies shared it, so hopefully that will get some more interest :fingerscrossed:. (Can you believe there are gun owners in MD that aren't on MDS? :wtf:?)

Then I looked at the extended forecast this morning...:sad20:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I put a link on facebook last night, and one of my friends who has a lot of gun buddies shared it, so hopefully that will get some more interest :fingerscrossed:. (Can you believe there are gun owners in MD that aren't on MDS? :wtf:?)

Then I looked at the extended forecast this morning...:sad20:

Thanks Art. Unfortunately, it does look like it will be a washout.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When do you this will be held again? When you say AGC members and guests can shoot, that means member brought guests right?

Member brought guest, guests of guests, basically the general public is welcome to shoot the action shooting matches. No need to have a badge, know or sleep with someone who does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom