• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Great read. One must always take into account that most of those riots (read: basic thuggery and vandalism obfuscating as a race riot) happened in low income, non-white majority areas. It would be stupid suicide for a non-white to wonder into those areas during a riot (like that dude in LA), and it would be even stupider for a low-income, non-white, to try to start something up in a white-majority neighborhood.

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    There isn't enough tinfoil in the world to help that guy

Not sure about the excessive tinfoil needed, as our debt just crossed the 16trillion mark and we just set another record for 46.7 million food-stamp/EBT users. The author's catalyst was the overnight collapse of the EBT entitlement system, and this possibly could happen with similar results.

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great read. One must always take into account that most of those riots (read: basic thuggery and vandalism obfuscating as a race riot) happened in low income, non-white majority areas. It would be stupid suicide for a non-white to wonder into those areas during a riot (like that dude in LA), and it would be even stupider for a low-income, non-white, to try to start something up in a white-majority neighborhood.

I would agree with you if not for the fact that thanks to improved transportation systems these types of things happen a lot. People with vehicles will come into higher end neighborhoods several miles from where they keep a base of operations steal vehicles (this primarily happens with motorcycles as they are portable and all one needs is a flatbed) and return to their base of operations.

The premise I do not agree with is the police response. With critical corridors secured by hostile forces it would make sense to do an external shutdown and securing of major systems (major transport hubs etc). Especially in a location like the DMV where securing "vital" areas (Pentagon, Bridges, Militrary bases, etc) would be a priority for FSL police forces.

We have seen, at least in Urbana, what happens when people do not have access to "vital services." (Anyone go to the Giant the week that the folks in NoMoCo lost power and all their stores produce spoiled. It would be a situation like that only much less civilized.)

That said I'm glad there are plenty of ex military in the cul de sac that I live in.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Well, the guy is clearly selling his next book with sensationalistic rhetoric. And he's way nuts if he thinks that the cell phone services won't be interrupted if there is a mass rioting/flash mob/whatever nuttiness he is calling it.

That said, if you look back at history cities have always been tough to feed, water, and care for (sewage, etc.). Modern cities are the same--but this is nothing new since Babylon. But to get to the level of problem he is trying to hype, you first need a collapse of the bigger economic system in which the cities live.

This does happen. Even to modern, western style countries. It just doesn't happen very damn often. And it is in everyone's interests to not get to this point, even if it comes down to bread and circuses.

Not convinced that its time to have my house riot-proofed. :rolleyes:

Gundahar

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    The first trillion- 200 years. The last trillion- 280 days.

The .gov takes in $2.3 billion. Entitlements are $2.9 billion. It's $600 million dollars upside down before it pays for the military, the courts, and everything else we consider government.

Central banks are accumulating gold and other hard assets at a record breaking pace. Their product is paper money, and even the banks that print it don't want it. If you went to the race track and you saw a jockey at the widow placing bets against the horse he was going to ride, would you bet on it?

"If it can't go on forever, it won't." - Herb Stein.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Racist and unfounded article. Read between the lines, he's talking about a race war. Inner city thugs vs. deer hunters in suburbia? Are you kidding me? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, promoting this type of rhetoric.

Quick fact: There are more whites than blacks on food stamps, but his story doesn't have rural trailer dwellers as the bad guys, does it?

The author also completely ignores similar historical situations. (Recent history in Argentina, Ecuador, Zimbabwe, Greece, etc.) This all isn't theory, this stuff has happened before, and it doesn't look like the picture he's painting there. Loose the tin foil and study recent history.

He's not talking about a war over race, he's talking about a war where the participants happen to be of different races and socioeconmic backgrounds.

Those are two very different things, and if you can't appreciate the difference, it's easy to just throw the "racist" label down and call it a day.

The intial scenario he's describing is completely plausible.

The inept and ineffectual police response to the rioting is 100% accurate.

As is the part about government pursuit and retaliation against the vigilantes.

Those things are 100% spot-on accurate

Where I'm less certain is the spontaneous formation of those vigilante groups that go out and actively persue rioters. That seems iffy.

But "neighborhood watch" details and blockades of neighborhoods for safety will surely happen, no doubt about that.

People riot in this country over pro sports teams winning, for fawks sake. Do you really beleive that people will NOT riot when the food stamp program stops working?

This is NOT about race. This is about a criminal urban, entitlement class that is quick to anger and already prone to violence, and as we have already seen, WILL prey on others in times of civil unrest, if for no other reason than simply because they can and get away with it because its a riot.. This has already happened! Do you realize that? The fact that they happen to be composed of mostly black youth is beside the point, in the initial outset of the rioting.

I know you wanna consider yourself open minded and everything... and part of that is the joy from looking down your nose and being able to proclaim someone as being "a racist", since that allows you to feel superior to them... But you are whistling past the graveyard.

You tell others to "examine history".... Have you?

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Mudskipper your the only one that see's this for what it is I applaud you My sister and I were talking about this last week My family is kinda anti gun not so much that they hate guns just don't seem to see the need to own one My sister was asking me about getting a handgun and training She brought up this same subject to me It nearly floored me So Tin Foil my ass This could happen Just wait and see if Big O isn't re-elected and entitlements are cut

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Mudskipper, what events in history do you think I'm not considering? Are you familiar with the situation in Argentina and Greece? Do you know what caused the hyperinflation in Zimbabwe and Ecuador and what happened there? You're totally missing my point. We have history to look at, it's happened for real in other places. No need to fantasize.
    In real life, there's no killing people to stop a riot. That's extremely illegal, and immoral. There will be no walling off of the inner city to keep "us" away from "them." The government won't suddenly cut off food stamps and plunge us into civil war. The only real survival solution is having somewhere else to go, and the means to get there.

His story is a white supremacist wet dream full of stereotypes. Why is race important in his little story? Why does he keep mentioning it? Please answer that for me. Hell, the occupy wall street crew sounds more like his bad guys than anything I've seen in any ghetto. Nobody went on a sniper ambush spree on them, did they?

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    He's not talking about a war over race, he's talking about a war where the participants happen to be of different races and socioeconmic backgrounds.

Those are two very different things, and if you can't appreciate the difference, it's easy to just throw the "racist" label down and call it a day.

The intial scenario he's describing is completely plausible.

The inept and ineffectual police response to the rioting is 100% accurate.

As is the part about government pursuit and retaliation against the vigilantes.

Those things are 100% spot-on accurate

Where I'm less certain is the spontaneous formation of those vigilante groups that go out and actively persue rioters. That seems iffy.

But "neighborhood watch" details and blockades of neighborhoods for safety will surely happen, no doubt about that.

People riot in this country over pro sports teams winning, for fawks sake. Do you really beleive that people will NOT riot when the food stamp program stops working?

This is NOT about race. This is about a criminal urban, entitlement class that is quick to anger and already prone to violence, and as we have already seen, WILL prey on others in times of civil unrest, if for no other reason than simply because they can and get away with it because its a riot.. This has already happened! Do you realize that? The fact that they happen to be composed of mostly black youth is beside the point, in the initial outset of the rioting.

I know you wanna consider yourself open minded and everything... and part of that is the joy from looking down your nose and being able to proclaim someone as being "a racist", since that allows you to feel superior to them... But you are whistling past the graveyard.

You tell others to "examine history".... Have you?

A few questions.

So, this will only happen wherever there is a criminal, urban entitlement class? Whatever that is. Was that what happened in Argentina and Greece?
    How big is that class of folks exactly? Is that everyone on an EBT/Food stamp program or just the [insert your description here] ones? If it isn't all of them, then what will the rest of them do? You know, the ones who are not criminal, urban entitlement types.

By the way, how many criminals are actually collecting EBT/Food stamps? Is that something they apply for. One would imagine that criminals would just take what they want and not go through all of the effort applying for a program like that. I mean, if I'm a criminal, how do I qualify exactly. Do they just give it to me because I asked?

This is all so confusing!!! I'm gonna go get my tinfoil hat so i can think better! :tinfoil:

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Put aside all questions of race. I think that's really irrelevant to the discussion. Grocery stores have a few days' supply of food. When things start to go south, people will be hungry. It doesn't matter whether it's because EBT cards stop working, the stores run out of food, or the gas stations shut down and people lose the ability to travel. I think the rural poor will have more opportunity to obtain food from other sources than the urban poor. There will be an aggregation of people in areas of high population density who will be hungry and enormously frustrated. The frustration will lead to desperation, and despair will lead to aggression. You can argue about the specific racial composition of this group, but that's hardly material to the scenario.

Unfortunately, I think this scenario is not only likely, but unavoidable.

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    https://westernrifleshooters.wordpr...-how-americas-cities-may-explode-in-violence/

Great article on an escalating scenario and how America's gun owners and veterans eventually react to protect neighborhoods.

Looks like most of DMV area will be a hotbed for this scenario.

Wow! that was one heck of a fictional story that does not even begin to take into account the level of technology that is now at the disposal of our governments (local, state and federal) to completely destroy this concept. I mean c'mon! How many days does this guy expect roving bands of MUYs to constantly interrupt traffic and harm people. How about them roving sniper teams? Really?

We currently have the ability to enter foreign countries, without their knowledge, and have our way with people. We then leave and no one knows it even happened. Does anyone honestly believe that the US government is going to allow this kind of crap to take place and then let it spread to more cities?

I'm thinking we'd be under martial law long before that ever happened. And that is also just another tinfoil hat wearer's dream.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Mudskipper, what events in history do you think I'm not considering? Are you familiar with the situation in Argentina and Greece? Do you know what caused the hyperinflation in Zimbabwe and Ecuador and what happened there? You're totally missing my point. We have history to look at, it's happened for real in other places. No need to fantasize.
    In real life, there's no killing people to stop a riot. That's extremely illegal, and immoral. There will be no walling off of the inner city to keep "us" away from "them." The government won't suddenly cut off food stamps and plunge us into civil war. The only real survival solution is having somewhere else to go, and the means to get there.

His story is a white supremacist wet dream full of stereotypes. Why is race important in his little story? Why does he keep mentioning it? Please answer that for me. Hell, the occupy wall street crew sounds more like his bad guys than anything I've seen in any ghetto. Nobody went on a sniper ambush spree on them, did they?

I've read his book trilogy and am even friends with matt on facebook. The history he bases much of his assumptions on isn't ecuador or somewhere off in zimbabwe. He spent time in eastern europe and is pretty well studied on the collapse/ reformation of it and its various revolutions. He's using eastern european patterns of behavior as a base of hypothesis for american reaction to societal collapse. He even mentions the lebanese civil war and yugoslavia in the article.

Race is important is his story for the same reason it's important in jail...people group to like people. It's a flat out instinctual response that's never going away, especially in times of crisis. Race is an issue, if you don't think it is then you've never been a white guy(or worse, a white girl) in downtown baltimore in the middle of a mob of black feril youths.

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    Put aside all questions of race. I think that's really irrelevant to the discussion. Grocery stores have a few days' supply of food. When things start to go south, people will be hungry. It doesn't matter whether it's because EBT cards stop working, the stores run out of food, or the gas stations shut down and people lose the ability to travel. I think the rural poor will have more opportunity to obtain food from other sources than the urban poor. There will be an aggregation of people in areas of high population density who will be hungry and enormously frustrated. The frustration will lead to desperation, and despair will lead to aggression. You can argue about the specific racial composition of this group, but that's hardly material to the scenario.

Unfortunately, I think this scenario is not only likely, but unavoidable.

You have a valid point here. I guess the part that makes me wonder about this whole issue is this simple thought: People keep pointing out this imaginary entitlement group as some kind of group of raging lunatics who will riot to get food and kill everyone in their way. The only way there will be no food for them is if there is no food for anyone.

Is this some kind of fantasy world where only people who make $30,000/yr or more will be able to shop for food? If there is no food for anyone, i don't think its the poor folks we have to worry about. I think it's gonna be all of those folks, who think they're better than everyone else, with the guns who get just as desperate as the poor folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom