• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    Hey guys, I just picked up a Ottoman Mauser 1893 that should arrive in a few days, is there anything that I should watch out for? I got it for cheap so I'm worried about the safety of shooting it, is there a checklist to go through to check it? Many thanks

Hey guys, I just picked up a Ottoman Mauser 1893 that should arrive in a few days, is there anything that I should watch out for? I got it for cheap so I'm worried about the safety of shooting it, is there a checklist to go through to check it? Many thanks

When you do the paperwork on the "Boutique Bubba" Swedish Mauser, we can go over your Ottoman (Turkish?) Mauser at the shop.
    Be very careful with making sure ammo is of the correct caliber and pressure. That is very important with old rifles.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I have some 6.5x55mm ammo for sale in the classifieds, (for Bubba). It was gifted to me so I'm not trying to make a killing on it. If you're interested make an offer. 260 rnds

I feel slimy for posting that, but I have no need for it.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    When you do the paperwork on the "Boutique Bubba" Swedish Mauser, we can go over your Ottoman (Turkish?) Mauser at the shop.
    Be very careful with making sure ammo is of the correct caliber and pressure. That is very important with old rifles.

Thanks! Will do!

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    [Kev308];6300118 said:
    I have some 6.5x55mm ammo for sale in the classifieds, (for Bubba). It was gifted to me so I'm not trying to make a killing on it. If you're interested make an offer. 260 rnds

I feel slimy for posting that, but I have no need for it.

Just DMed you!

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Is this a rifle in 6.5x55mm or in another caliber like 8mm Mauser, 7x57mm or 7.65x53mm?

If it is in 6.5x55mm, be very careful of factory loaded ammunition! There are two types of loadings: military action and commercial action and most won't specify which. A lot of European loadings are for the hotter, stronger commercial actions. I have a 1915 Swedish Mauser sporter that fortunately survived that ignorance. Igman, for example, is a hot loaded ammo. Do not use it in anything but a modern made 6.5x55mm rifle. Ammo like Prvi and Wolf are loaded the lower pressure military specifications. Or roll your own and stick to the low end of the reloading data.

The commercial 7x57mm and 7.65x53mm loads are made for the older military rifles. You should be fine with off-the-shelf commercial ammo.

8mm Mauser, like 6.5x55mm varies in how hot it is. A lot of surplus 8mm is from machine guns and tends to be loaded hotter than the standard issue ammunition. If your old Turkish Mauser is a rebored 8mm rifle, you definitely want to stick to the low end of the pressure curve for safety. Most of the new commercial stuff is safe for older rifles to shoot.

You do want to check the headspace on the rifle before shooting it and do an overall inspection for any signs of cracks in the bolt, receiver, barrel or bulges in the barrel. Patina is ok, lots of rust is not. Detail strip it if you can. I have a K.31 that looks rough but ok in the stock but has a rusty barrel everywhere it was in contact with wood. I consider it a parts rifle as a result. After you own a few milsurps you'll get a good feel for condition by checking them out. I have a couple of Turkish Mausers I would be ok shooting.

Welcome to the Mauser club. They are fun rifles to collect.

Matt

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    Is this a rifle in 6.5x55mm or in another caliber like 8mm Mauser, 7x57mm or 7.65x53mm?

If it is in 6.5x55mm, be very careful of factory loaded ammunition! There are two types of loadings: military action and commercial action and most won't specify which. A lot of European loadings are for the hotter, stronger commercial actions. I have a 1915 Swedish Mauser sporter that fortunately survived that ignorance. Igman, for example, is a hot loaded ammo. Do not use it in anything but a modern made 6.5x55mm rifle. Ammo like Prvi and Wolf are loaded the lower pressure military specifications. Or roll your own and stick to the low end of the reloading data.

The commercial 7x57mm and 7.65x53mm loads are made for the older military rifles. You should be fine with off-the-shelf commercial ammo.

8mm Mauser, like 6.5x55mm varies in how hot it is. A lot of surplus 8mm is from machine guns and tends to be loaded hotter than the standard issue ammunition. If your old Turkish Mauser is a rebored 8mm rifle, you definitely want to stick to the low end of the pressure curve for safety. Most of the new commercial stuff is safe for older rifles to shoot.

You do want to check the headspace on the rifle before shooting it and do an overall inspection for any signs of cracks in the bolt, receiver, barrel or bulges in the barrel. Patina is ok, lots of rust is not. Detail strip it if you can. I have a K.31 that looks rough but ok in the stock but has a rusty barrel everywhere it was in contact with wood. I consider it a parts rifle as a result. After you own a few milsurps you'll get a good feel for condition by checking them out. I have a couple of Turkish Mausers I would be ok shooting.

Welcome to the Mauser club. They are fun rifles to collect.

Matt

Thanks a lot for the heads up! Hopefully I won't accidentally shoot a hot load and blow the rifle up!

Thanks a lot for the heads up! Hopefully I won't accidentally shoot a hot load and blow the rifle up!

[Kev 308] and I have discussed the 6.5x55 ammo he offered you a few days ago.
    If you can find a single stage press and a scale, I would be happy to teach you how to reload the 6.5x55 Swedish military round. You're getting the dies, brass, primers and projectiles. You only need a press, scale and some knowledge.
    If I haven't mentioned it already- Welcome to USA citizenship!!!

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    [Kev 308] and I have discussed the 6.5x55 ammo he offered you a few days ago.
    If you can find a single stage press and a scale, I would be happy to teach you how to reload the 6.5x55 Swedish military round. You're getting the dies, brass, primers and projectiles. You only need a press, scale and some knowledge.
    If I haven't mentioned it already- Welcome to USA citizenship!!!

I'd love to take you up on your offer, however I currently do not have a press nor scale. I was planning on buying one once the current market stabilizes (hopefully) and supplies become plentiful again.

Thanks! It took a long 10 years but I am finally American!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom