• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    The Bridgeville club (BRPC) has a "Steel Challenge" event listed for April 30. Does anyone know if this is event is open to non-members, or have contact information for this event?

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    That's the problem - there is NO contact information for this match or for the club on their website. (I guess they are tired of fielding "how do I join" calls and emails.) It does say "Club Event" and in searching around it seems like the February Steel Challenge there was a closed/club event. Also, this range and match is not listed on the SCSA website.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The description from their site shows that its not a real sanctioned SC match.
    This is a huge pet peeve of mine, and I fully support siccing SCSA on them. Nothing worse than showing up to a "USPSA" match and finding out it's some weird outlaw thing.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Nothing worse than showing up to a "USPSA" match and finding out it's some weird outlaw thing.

Actually, there is something worse than that. Try working your tail off to put together a new program and then having a few USPSA snobs show up and complain the entire time they are at your facility. Ask me how I know.

Maybe before turning them over to the SCSA police, it would be advisable to email to the match director. You could explain the emotional distress that he is about to unintentionally inflict and give him time to change the name of his event to something less proprietary.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, it's real snobbery to show up to something that was falsely advertised as one thing and be annoyed that it's not what it was advertised, lol. But, yes, email the MD first.

Actually, let me be a little nicer: some guys take this whole USPSA / SC thing deadly serious, and unsanctioned matches are essentially wasted weekends to them. I have a lot of sympathy for MDs who get lots of complaints, no argument. But those guys do have a legitimate interest in hitting sanctioned matches, and it's not really fair to them to advertise a match as something it's not.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Being annoyed is one thing. Being an ******* for the remainder of the day is completely another.

This guy obviously has no idea the can of worms he is opening. He is just trying to set something up that is fun for everyone to come and do at his club. Any seasoned USPSA or SCSA member can take one look at his match description and fee and tell you that this is not a sanctioned match.

The club will host a FREE Steel Challenge Match on Friday, April 30th from 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Four stages of fire, 5 steel targets each stage, 1 round per target. Each stage is shot three times to get best time. Total of 60 rounds minimum. All standard pistol calibers permitted (no .223’s, etc.). Registration begins at 4:30 p.m. All standard safety rules will apply. Squading and safety briefing will take place following registration. Set up will be from 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Being annoyed is one thing. Being an ******* for the remainder of the day is completely another.
    I agree that this is uncalled for. Also agree that the lack of a fee is a giveaway, but it's not impossible that the club would be subsidizing it to get it started.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    303 enfield: Thank you for your response. The IDPA events listed on the BRPC calendar appear to be separate and different from the "Steel Challenge" event on April 30th.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I don't have any real problems with it as long as you are working your way up to having sanctioned matches. But you can't call it Steel Challenge for 2 reasons. One is its a registered trademark, and two people who shoot it expect it to be the real thing if you call it that. At Tier 1 you can have some unofficial stages as long as you have a minimum number of official ones. I think that is 3. But you have to use the official rulebook if its sanctioned. Otherwise call it Outlaw Steel and do anything you want. There are matches like that everywhere. And if people like your match they will come and shoot it. That is what the PSA Shootout is this weekend up in PA. Every year (except this one due to COVID) they have 4 full days of shooters coming up to shoot a ton of knockdown steel targets. I have been shooting it for 14 years and will be there on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom