• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wow. What a turn this thread has taken.

For my part, I'm a pretty patient person. After all, I went through the whole process of having a pistol added to the roster so that in mid November I could finally take home the pistol I ordered in early April. But I'll maintain what I said earlier about thinking that an FFL should take no more than two days to log a gun into their books from the time they received it. I'd even wait an extra day or so. But if I get pushed off much longer than that, or if the shop pushes back on me for any reason, that's another matter.

On a side note, any shop owner complaining about the current pace of business for the shop....I'm not sure what to say. To me this seems like a golden opportunity to expand a client base and to make a bunch more money. I'd be laughing all the way to the bank, even if it meant me burning up some long days to keep my nose above the water and to stay on top of everything.

But that's just my opinion. One that I gave specifically because I'm a know it all and I'm working on my post count. :rolleyes:

I agree with everything you wrote.
    IMO, it is reasonable to expect the gun shop to have it logged and ready to transfer the next day. Conversely, it is amazing how often people walk into a gun shop wanting their firearm and not understanding why it wasn't ready for them 17 minutes after UPS tracking said it was delivered. Even moreso when there are 8 customers waiting to be helped.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Sanity check if this seems off.

Dealers have less stock but are also making transfers as a condolence prize. Maybe more than usual amounts of packages are hitting their doors. Perhaps a good thing as its more transfer fees net to them to make up for lack of stock.

Do you think its fine with the dealer making you come back in a few days so they can enter it in the books first? Delivery Arrival notice 5 hours prior, I am standing there taking time off work?

I feel its unacceptable and entering them on the books is not a labor intensive ordeal for a paid service.

Would you be understanding or opt out of choosing future transfers. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?
    Sooo...:tap:...are they STILL sitting on it?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Gun Biz is cyclical . Most LGS know this , and right size their operations for the year in , year out pace . It's a Thing right now , because the current panic has been of longer duration than most .

Punisher

Apr 21, 2018
    Sooo...:tap:...are they STILL sitting on it?

The next day I got a call and did not have to wait 2 additional days to start the 7 day wait (I think the 7 day wait is what erks me the most) add a holiday and 8 days...but it saves the children.

I think overall it was a good discussion to see how both sides view the current crunch. I did line up a plan B in the end.

Last edited:

Punisher

Apr 21, 2018
    Oh Karma- you suck

So my "Occupation" on the 77r wasn't good enough. I get another 7 days- just awesome.

If I put Door to door Asprin salesmen It'd be fine.

In case you have not experienced this. Some may purposefully want to be vague. Here is what's new (to me anyway-I've always used same thing).

https://pilot-mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Licensing Division Documents/77R Occupation Field.pdf

Unknown if MSI has any interest in delays due to nonsense. I almost want to start troll list of what absurd job descriptions will be not disapproved.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So my "Occupation" on the 77r wasn't good enough. I get another 7 days- just awesome.

If I put Door to door Asprin salesmen It'd be fine.

In case you have not experienced this. Some may purposefully want to be vague. Here is what's new (to me anyway-I've always used same thing).

https://pilot-mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Licensing Division Documents/77R Occupation Field.pdf

Unknown if MSI has any interest in delays due to nonsense. I almost want to start troll list of what absurd job descriptions will be not disapproved.

Haven't done a 77R in a few years. Why the fvck do they even need an occupation? That's complete ********.

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    Wow. What a turn this thread has taken.

For my part, I'm a pretty patient person. After all, I went through the whole process of having a pistol added to the roster so that in mid November I could finally take home the pistol I ordered in early April. But I'll maintain what I said earlier about thinking that an FFL should take no more than two days to log a gun into their books from the time they received it. I'd even wait an extra day or so. But if I get pushed off much longer than that, or if the shop pushes back on me for any reason, that's another matter.

On a side note, any shop owner complaining about the current pace of business for the shop....I'm not sure what to say. To me this seems like a golden opportunity to expand a client base and to make a bunch more money. I'd be laughing all the way to the bank, even if it meant me burning up some long days to keep my nose above the water and to stay on top of everything.

But that's just my opinion. One that I gave specifically because I'm a know it all and I'm working on my post count. :rolleyes:
    Your opinion is moderate and well argued. My point was towards some who are dismissive towards expectations of reliable and timely service from the FFL. I think 1 or 2 days are acceptable wait once they receive it. Being told to just wait and thinking that is ok...I get the arguments of both sides, I just expect them to be done in a considerate manner rather than insulting the person who started the thread and was asking for opinions.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Your opinion is moderate and well argued. My point was towards some who are dismissive towards expectations of reliable and timely service from the FFL. I think 1 or 2 days are acceptable wait once they receive it. Being told to just wait and thinking that is ok...I get the arguments of both sides, I just expect them to be done in a considerate manner rather than insulting the person who started the thread and was asking for opinions.
    You and I are tracking 100%. Reasonable is reasonable, unreasonable + attitude is no bueno.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    My .02 cents, I don't think there is anything wrong with the FFL needing the time to do their back end work, but I also don't think there is anything wrong with you expecting a certain level of service and finding a different FFL if that one doesn't meet your expectations. You'll quickly find out if your expectations are off base if you can't find any FFL that meets them.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ... opt out of choosing future transfers. ...

^^^ Moooooooooost def! ^^^ My present FFL is charging and has always charged only $10 and despite running a full fledged Machine & Tool facility (too big to call a shop but, not quite a plant) he and his wife almost always drop whatever they’re in the middle of - they log items the minute they are delivered ...I’m taking her flowers and him a 12-pack of Coors when I go to pick up my Zastava x39 pistol Monday!

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?

Absolutely. Just once each time, though ... “worst” FFL round here (that I’ve had contact with) chain smokes so bad that, even if you’re in his small, cramped shop for only 2-3 minutes you WILL be throwing every item of clothing you own into the washer as soon as you get into your house. It. Is. THAT. Bad! :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom