• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharmo2

Mar 19, 2015
    Westminster, MD
    I'm considering buying a SBS and haven't purchased NFA gear in a few years.

Does it matter if the SBS has a side folder stock? I understand they are considered an evil feature for semi-auto shotguns and are banned but isn't a SBS considered a different class of firearm (NFA)?

Some people have told me as long as the stock is fixed I'm good to go, others have said it doesn't matter because NFA SBS don't apply to the semi-auto's that are banned.

Is there an OAL requirement? Also been getting differing opinions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Folding stocks are an Evil Feature for semiauto centerfire RIFLES , likewise the 29 inch OAL thing . Does not apply to Shotguns . Just follow the usual NFA processes .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Folding stocks are an Evil Feature for semiauto centerfire RIFLES , likewise the 29 inch OAL thing . Does not apply to Shotguns . Just follow the usual NFA processes .

They are ALSO an evil feature for a semi auto shotgun.

(E) (1) “COPYCAT WEAPON” MEANS:

(VI)A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN THAT HAS A FOLDING STOCK; OR

(VII)A SHOTGUN WITH A REVOLVING CYLINDER.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They are ALSO an evil feature for a semi auto shotgun.

This. Doesn’t matter if it is an SBS or not. A semi-automatic shotgun may not have a folding stock or a revolving drum magazine.

SBS would only (maybe, I am not a lawyer) be a dodge for an enumerated banned item. So an SBS of one of the enumerated banned shotguns should be legal. But it still can’t have a banned feature.

Or at least that is how it works with SBRs and the rifle list. But I don’t know if that is specifically because SBR’s under Maryland law live in a grey area of handgun, but also pistol.

Not sure if SBS live in that same kind of grey area or now.

sharmo2

Mar 19, 2015
    Westminster, MD
    I appreciate the responses...still don't know what to make of all these laws...smh..Everyone has a valid point. Do I dare call MSP in Pikesville???? Have we gotten to a point in MD where we need to consult an attorney for things like this? Do any of you know an attorney in MD that specializes in firearm law? I buy enough NFA stuff at this point that it might be worth it to spend some money for the peace of mind. What I do know for sure is SBS's are still legal to own in MD so I think I'll buy it and worst case I'll have my gunsmith weld the side folder.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    I appreciate the responses...still don't know what to make of all these laws...smh..Everyone has a valid point. Do I dare call MSP in Pikesville???? Have we gotten to a point in MD where we need to consult an attorney for things like this? Do any of you know an attorney in MD that specializes in firearm law? I buy enough NFA stuff at this point that it might be worth it to spend some money for the peace of mind. What I do know for sure is SBS's are still legal to own in MD so I think I'll buy it and worst case I'll have my gunsmith weld the side folder.

I’ve seen SBS’s sold ALL OVER MARYLAND with the sidefolders intact. Including the side folding full length Vepr12’s. Get to buying and stop the wondering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom