• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If you are thinking 3 car , go 3.5 car or 4 car . Not sure if you have extreme funds or going in with a lower style budget . Because you could get lifts and nice electric , welding machine , set up now and add stuff later

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    You may want a car lift some day. Provide room for one.

:goodpost:

A lift could be a very nice feature. Much better than a creeper. I know I'm not getting any younger. That and a block and tackle on an overhead beam. My grandfather had a hoist on a steel bean for pulling engine blocks or whatever needed lifting.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I've been quoted a 40x65 steel building (not pole barn, all metal) for 24k delivered. That is a good size shop. Look at them before you go stick frames and pole barn.

Metal is practically cheaper than wood these days! :thumbsup:

Before lumber prices skyrocketed I had long since gone frame and stud in my shop; and, after I roll insulated between the studs I covered the walls in 1” thick polystyrene board - with “the wrong side” (white side vs the foil facing) intentionally facing in.

I did so for the extra light and I have never regretted using it over drywall! (It not only increases light incredibly but I swear it does more for sound proofing than drywall over insulated stud spaces.

Attachments

• FFE2FCC6-6B98-4F61-BC0D-AB374FACF8A9.jpg
      FFE2FCC6-6B98-4F61-BC0D-AB374FACF8A9.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 310

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland
    In addition to the suggestions above, My garage wish list also includes wider doors. A full size pickup will need the mirrors folded in to get into a standard 8' wide door. Most car trailers are 96" or 102" wide, so they will not fit into an 8'door. If you plan on air, make a closet for the compressor. They can be annoyingly loud when running. Minimum 12' height for a two post lift. That lift will likely need concrete piers if you don't pour a 6" slab. A dedicated area for fabrication. Work benches, welders, tire changing machines, drill press, hydraulic press, parts cleaners, Dillon 650, etc all go there. Heat and AC are a nice luxury, if the budget allows. Insulated walls are a must if you do put in HVAC. If you are painting over drywall, use gloss white so you can find things easier.

Like gun safes, go bigger than you think you need.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    My last one was a 24 x 32 pole building. 2 windows, entry and double oh door. Put in steel ceiling.
    Has 5 inch slab, 14 receptacles, 4 led ballasts and 100 amp panel.
    I'm working on insulation now.

Advice...
    Go bigger than you think. I wish I'd have gone 40 wide.
    Plan the building. Vehicles, shelving, storage, plan on hanging as much as possible (coolers, bikes, kayaks, etc).
    Think about heat as well as insulation. Don't go cheap on flatwork and consider a good sized pad in front.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Mine is a good size at 30’x40’ it’s a two door at 40’ deep. Water, 100amp service, and tons of receptacles.

It’s what made me buy the property. They called it a pole building, but it’s studded at 24”o.c. Metal siding and roof.

c5dcac89d28ec353e852ab2781e889a7.jpg

I insulated and got walls up along with some bench space. Got a ways to go but it’s a good hangout.

b98a3335e1758c26c22d17fdcf9d3463.jpg

Good luck with your project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    As others have said, wide & tall doors, larger space then you think you'll need, and add attic space for storage. Wire it for plenty of amperage, take pictures of where the wiring is in the walls before you cover it up. If you run the power line under ground, add another pipe for phone (if needed), cable tv, internet, etc. Lots of lighting, LED is best. Put a man door & window on the house side, no openings on blind sides (for security). Install hiding places for, well, you know.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    You going to need power 110/220, lots of Lighting and air flow windows fans etc if your up north you will need heat and extra floor space if you plan big then build bigger space will get fulled up faster then you think.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    I just had a 38x32 pile barn built with concrete floor. I I’d an Amish company do it called Pinecraft Construction. Great guys and good quality

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I just had a 38x32 pile barn built with concrete floor. I I’d an Amish company do it called Pinecraft Construction. Great guys and good quality

Got photos and idea of price? They do it all, concrete and construction? I'd prefer to work with the Amish if I could.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Buy a steel kit. last longer and the cost is worth the monies. We put one up a few years back, large enough to house two Deere Combines .
    The concrete flooring cost more than the damn building. well worth the investment and plus you can build a " Nap Shack " inside.
    US Steel buildings was great back then , I am not sure they are around anymore. Keep us updated.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    They did everything total was 29k all in. I didn’t take any finished pics but here is one about 85% done. Not sure why it’s sideways

Attachments

• 4B651E91-E4CE-45C3-A823-FF2AAA1BDC80.jpg
      4B651E91-E4CE-45C3-A823-FF2AAA1BDC80.jpg
      105.9 KB · Views: 301

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    I agree with everyone bigger, openings face your house, shop around. Found a Amish company out of PA their crew was tied up so they hired a Amish crew out of Delaware who commuted to St Mary’s county everyday.

Attachments

• 96D008CA-43EF-4CCE-99DF-F2440EFCDFD6.jpg
      96D008CA-43EF-4CCE-99DF-F2440EFCDFD6.jpg
      103.7 KB · Views: 271

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I've been quoted a 40x65 steel building (not pole barn, all metal) for 24k delivered. That is a good size shop. Look at them before you go stick frames and pole barn.

Going back 11 years . our 30X40X14 pole barn was a little over 8k delivered. Finally cost was just under 20k . That was the flooring and new electric service from the pole. Floor is 6in deep 5k psi concrete with fiberglass.

Only regret is I didnt go bigger!!! Saw the pic of another 30X40 garage here and thought wow that is huge!!!!

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    The one I built is wood frame and metal siding and roof so maintenance free. Problem is it gets too hot to work in there sometimes. I need to keep doors open and pedestal fans running. I installed a huge exhaust fan at the inside peak at one end. They come with a built in T-stat to bring exhaust on at a certain temp. It has metal louvers on outside and they close when not running. It helps alot to remove the stale hot air up in the ceiling area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom