• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    While half his pay grade maint.tech’s are physically doing pm’s and repairs on equipment he is licensed to operate. Yet I can’t convince some of my younger maint. Guys to sign up to test since they already have time needed just by working under me?

Thoughts as to why? I would be jumping at that opportunity. That's a valuable piece of paper to have in the career toolbox if one ever decided to take the step up in responsibility.

Edit: I would be gobbling up weekend work and a week here and there if I had a MD 1st.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    It’s another term for stationary engineer. Boiler operators basically land based. A license that allows you to operate a power plant if that helps.
    There are also marine operating engineers who can operate equipment on sea vessels, such as navy or merchant marine operators.

Most utility company’s along with anyplace ( manufacturing,hospitals,production factories, dry cleaners and energy producing plants
    that produces or distributes low, medium, or high pressure steam usually from a central large power plant.

A lot of buildings get around the first grade requirement by installing multiple
    Low psi boilers or water heaters for energy. This allows them to only need 3 rd or forth grade engineers where license is easier to optain.

Antco you hit the nail on the head “ step up to more responsibility”.
    Heck being able to work two maybe 3 days a week once retired for toy money when needed? What’s not to like

Know a vendor who started his own company supplying temporary engineers to organizations that can’t find new hires made up from a pool of retired engineers looking for part time cash. He can’t keep up with demand.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Just spent 10 minutes on Google and still have no idea wtf an operating engineer does.

Its not just boiler, chillers and power plants, in my world we operate and maintain commercial office buildings in their entirety. So basically anything you can imagine that happens in an office building is dealt with by the building engineer.

Today at work we one guy installing new indoor air quality sensors on all of our air handlers, another guy spent his morning removing an abandoned water line in a ceiling and his afternoon consisted of installing an electric circuit, another guy was optimizing the HVAC schedules and programs on our building automation system, another was upgrading a copper air line that runs through the complex,the last guy was doing his monthly PM's, and I was sitting on my ass typing emails and tying up a lot of rose ends.

Our days are anything but predictable and our plans seem to change several times a day depending on what comes up

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    So what is a 3/4 making and what does a 2/1 make? It looked like an AA was required for 3/4? Or at least schooling equivalent.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    So what is a 3/4 making and what does a 2/1 make? It looked like an AA was required for 3/4? Or at least schooling equivalent.

I don't know what any of that means, but a union DC 3rd makes $45 +/- an hour with killer benefits and a free 4 year education if you get accepted into the apprenticeship program. Otherwise only a high school diploma is required for a DC 3rd.

Last edited:

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    As Brian said, we do it all to keep a building or plant running. Hvac electric, hydronics to pneumatics and building automation systems.

I know in this area average starting pay in health care is 40.00 per hour, good benefits, non union. Not sure about union pay in md as haven’t been in one for 30 years.
    Do know dc pay scale is slightly higher as is everything in dc job market.
    Can say pay will increase based on demand.

Anyone that has a son or daughter looking for a useful career. Please tell them to look into a skilled trade. Any of the trades will just keep going up in demand. Auto,hvac,electricians,plumbing,ect.

A wise man ( my dad) told me when I was 17. Learn a trade and you will always have a job. Promted me to serve out my machinist apprenticeship for 6 years
    Till I got my journeyman’s , before going on to become ASE auto tech then engineer. But Knowing a skilled trade will guarantee you income for life.
    Sorry mini rant over lol

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Get every license you can when you can. It paid off for me. Md first Eng DC 3rd Class Eng. DC Journeyman HVAC. Md Masters HVAC and VA Hvac Masters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    A wise man ( my dad) told me when I was 17. Learn a trade and you will always have a job. Promted me to serve out my machinist apprenticeship for 6 yearsyear

I have college certificates (30 credits) as a Paramedic and in Construction Management, an Associates Degree in Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, and a Bachelor's in Technology Management.

My Dad was proud of these accomplishments, but not as button popping, face cracking smile, proud like he was the day of my Electrical Apprenticeship Graduation!! He spent over 30 years as a Production Mechanic at a can manufacturing plant and he understood what that graduation meant for me...."You'll never want for work again in your life" My late Uncle, who I considered a second dad, was an HVAC installer and the reaction was the same.

Funny thing was, while both were quite handy, neither was comfortable around live electric....I got lots of calls!!!

God, I miss them both!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom