• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    :lol2: No, I died from PI after retrieving that arrow!!

He was climbing a tree... a rare thing for a groundhog, but... I was in my tree stand, where I have killed quite a few. He climbed a few feet up the sapling, stopped and fell quite quickly... LOL

I have to dig back a bit.. I do have clean headshot with a bow on a computer here somewhere..

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Okay, found it.. there was a cleaned out patch in a newly growing bean field at about 20yds. I actually ranged the center of the bare spot at 20. About a half hour after I did that, I look over and see a groundhog in the spot.. dead center, lookin at me. I am in a stand about 20' up in pretty good cover. So I draw a bead, release the arrow and about the time it got there, he started to turn his head. He was looking straight on, aimed for his nose..

Groundhog06%20004_zpsgqysqemc.jpg

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    Got my first one of the year on Saturday morning. My brother-in-law has some property in Carroll County. This shot was about 70 yards across a field. 5.56mm 62 grain ball. He didn't even twitch.

Attachments

• Groundhog.jpg
      Groundhog.jpg
      185.8 KB · Views: 688

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We have
    Guns
    Arrows
    Oxygen/propane torch
    Rebar

Rebar wins least wimpy.

Here's another method, taken from my own post:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2595311&postcount=83

Here is the text (I can plagiarize myself right?)

I'll tell you something I saw work which was a guy that had a liquid manure system and a truck that sprayed the liquid manure on his fields. The stuff stank to high heaven but it made the alfalfa grow like mad.

Anyway, he would take that truck out on the field an shove the hose from the manure truck into the G-Hog hole and cut loose with liquid manure.

Minutes after he would do that they would come tearing out of the hole, rolling on the ground, snorting, trying to get that S**T off them.

It was extremely funny.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Here's another method, taken from my own post:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2595311&postcount=83

Here is the text (I can plagiarize myself right?)

I'll tell you something I saw work which was a guy that had a liquid manure system and a truck that sprayed the liquid manure on his fields. The stuff stank to high heaven but it made the alfalfa grow like mad.

Anyway, he would take that truck out on the field an shove the hose from the manure truck into the G-Hog hole and cut loose with liquid manure.

Minutes after he would do that they would come tearing out of the hole, rolling on the ground, snorting, trying to get that S**T off them.

It was extremely funny.
    :lol::lol:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Okay, found it.. there was a cleaned out patch in a newly growing bean field at about 20yds. I actually ranged the center of the bare spot at 20. About a half hour after I did that, I look over and see a groundhog in the spot.. dead center, lookin at me. I am in a stand about 20' up in pretty good cover. So I draw a bead, release the arrow and about the time it got there, he started to turn his head. He was looking straight on, aimed for his nose..

Groundhog06%20004_zpsgqysqemc.jpg

:clap::clap: Good shot

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    A neighbor told my father that he has shot roughly 50 this year. I asked if he was sure that he had heard him correctly. He said " yup, I even double checked with the guy." I've seen a ground hog or two at the bottom of the property but nothing that would amount to what he's got going on.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Looking at this thread REALLY makes me want to shoot some groundhogs. Wish I had some property....................with groundhogs on it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I've got one living under my house. The only time I see him is when he is running from under the back porch to the shed and under the propane tank where he stops and looks back before heading into the woods and disappearing. I see him only once or twice a week. The only time I had a shot at him by the time I grabbed the rifle and got outside he was right at the propane tank and there was no way I was going to take that shot.
    I have a cage trap I can set, is there something I can put in it that will attract a groundhog?

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I've got one living under my house. The only time I see him is when he is running from under the back porch to the shed and under the propane tank where he stops and looks back before heading into the woods and disappearing. I see him only once or twice a week. The only time I had a shot at him by the time I grabbed the rifle and got outside he was right at the propane tank and there was no way I was going to take that shot.
    I have a cage trap I can set, is there something I can put in it that will attract a groundhog?

Apple, carrot, tomato.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Should've taken the shot. Killed and grilled at the same time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Sure wish I had a place to shoot them. Thought my friend'd FIL's dairy farm was going to come around but he was worried about bothering neighbors???????? I have a 5M I'm dying to try on these varmints. IMO a .22LR is inadequate unless a head shot. I can put a can on my .17 HMR and .22 Mag. Can't quiet down the .243 unlit I get it threaded.Even so it and my AR will be loud.

Last edited:

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    I usually just pick em off with a handgun though I did waitfor em a few times and got em with my Remy 700

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    Killed 114 last year. Been out 3 times this month and killed 22 so far. which gun I use depends on the are. mostly open farm land and I use a savage 22-250 1:12 twist because it can shoot the devastating 53 grain v-max. My buddys Remy 1:14 has to shoot the lighter bullets(still devastating at 4300 fps). In heavy wind we use a 308 with 26" barrel and 110 grain varmageddon ammo. There are quite a few areas that we have to use a 17hmr and 22 mag with vmax bullets. Best shot of the month was last saturday, 383 yard head shot in 13 mph cross wind with 22-250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom